Author Topic: William Louis Leslie EVANS of Melbourne, c 1880  (Read 6999 times)

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: William Louis Leslie EVANS of Melbourne, c 1880
« Reply #27 on: Friday 09 August 13 02:12 BST (UK) »
her mother was Margaret Evans, born in Tasmania in 1853.

Margaret EVANS was 43 years of age on the 1901 Census so born c1858.

Cando
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Kate Walker

• RootsChat Extra
  • From Orkney to Tasmania
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Friday 09 August 13 05:09 BST (UK) »
Very useful, will send off for the transcript.

Offline Kate Walker

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday 17 December 13 14:59 GMT (UK) »
Back again (having got sidetracked…) 

I've got a copy of the marriage certificate for William Louis Leslie Evans and Margaret Hannah Morse - and very many thanks to those of you who steered me in the right direction on this. It has a lot of blank spaces though - e.g., birthplace, ages, parents' details. Is this usual? Or have I got some abbreviated version of the certificate?

Offline rosball

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • John Scott Henderson 1853 Scotland -1919 Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday 17 December 13 19:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kate,
  Apparently the church did not send all info from marriage onto registrar for some historic NSW marriages.

Here is some excellent advice from JM about how to track down the blanks - essentially to contact the church archives http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,546609.0.html

cheers,
    Ros
(I followed JM's advice and was able to fill in the blanks for one of mine)
Let's not tolerate bullying !
Herrington Kent  Henderson Scotland Kerr Scotland Reston Scotland  Smith Scotland  Kellow Cornwall  Doney Cornwall  Wadeson Lancashire  Whiteley Yorkshire Gregan Ireland

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday 17 December 13 21:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi there,

Yes, it seems likely you have received "ALL" the information that the NSW BDM has on their summary copy of the marriage registration. 

Yes, Ros is spot on, ALL the information that the clergy recorded when interviewing the couple before marrying them is likely to be available in the Church Register.   It is simply a matter of determining where the register is currently held, or if it has already been transcribed and/or filmed  :)  :)  :)

Would you mind typing up the info on the document you have received, particularly the name of the clergy, the denomination, and the witnesses names.

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline Kate Walker

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Wednesday 18 December 13 03:07 GMT (UK) »
Thank you to you both for replying - I'm so glad that I didn't give up. JM, your earlier post is fascinating.

The marriage certificate is no. 1875/001722. The marriage was on 8th September 1875 at the Church of England Corowa. The officiating minister was J C Sabine and the witnesses are J H Martin and M Dowling; the bride and groom were Margaret Hannah Morse, spinster, dressmaker, living in Corowa, and William Louis Leslie Evans, bachelor, painter, living in Corowa.

Many thanks again
Kate 

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Wednesday 18 December 13 23:51 GMT (UK) »
NSW Electoral Roll 1878 THE HUME
William L L EVANS, residence Corowa
John H MARTIN, residence, Corowa
NO ONE surnamed DOWLING at Corowa on this roll, but …. If M Dowling was perhaps a female, then consider if these males may be of interest: Thomas DOWLING residence Greg Greg and Patrick Joseph DOWLING residence Huon 
NO ONE surnamed MORSE

Re The Church Register, most likely it is actually with the Diocese Archives, and of course at this time of the year, the volunteer Archivists are involved in Advent celebrations within their own parish.

http://www.anglicanriverina.com/?D=5 Corowa is within the Riverina Diocese.
http://www.anglicanriverina.com/

But if you were send an email enquiry to the Corowa Church
http://www.stjohnsanglicanchurchcorowa.websyte.com.au/

So, you may need to be patient, but do offer to provide your copy of the NSW BDM document (either the official transcription or the real deal cert), as it will help them to find their records.  You may need to offer a donation as searching for these registers can be time consuming.     You need to ask them for the details from more than one register, likely TWO registers for C of E

Fingers crossed,

I seem to remember an RChat thread where there were some located at Riverina TAFE.    So perhaps you could check there too…. Yes, St Peters, Broken Hill …. Same Diocese as Corowa  so worth the try
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=638774.0 

Of course, there’s also the following project that the Sydney Diocese is involved in, so perhaps the Riverina may be part of it too. 
http://www.sydneyanglicanarchives.com.au/
http://www.archives.anglican.asn.au/index.php/p2/family_history
“The Sydney Diocean Archives is NOT funded to provide a family history research sercice, and it is not possible to visit the Sydney Diocean Archives to view the registers……. We are currently preparing for a mass digitisation project with Ancestry.com which will provide even wider public access to the information contained in our baptism, confirmation, banns, marriage and burial registers. “

There’s also details about the Joint Copy Project with SAG and SLNSW at the Sydney Diocese so it is worthwhile asking at Diocese levels about where particular parish’ registers are currently located.   

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Thursday 19 December 13 02:46 GMT (UK) »
Just as an aside the fact that he was in Corowa in 1875 puts him closer to Tungamah as there was good river transport on the Murray from Corowa to Yarrawonga then 24.5 km (about 15 miles) by road although I think there was a track which would be quicker.  Not very helpful but at least in the same general area.   :D

This marriage is a good reminder that the registration town may be many miles from the location of an event, especially here in Oz.

Judith
DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Thursday 19 December 13 03:14 GMT (UK) »
Exactly so, Judith.

And, the NSW BDM districts do not have to match up to the Municipalities either.    And it was the clergy's responsibility to register the marriages. So sometimes in these rural districts he (yes, 19th C NSW, definitely "he") would complete the paperwork very promptly, and then go to the nearest court house and lodge the paperwork there.  So, sometimes it was transposed from the clergy's summary record across to the court house ledger and then at the end of the quarter the CPS, or the Sherrif or their shared part time clerk, would (hopefully !) check the ledgers to see what needed to re-transposed and sent through to HQ (the NSW Registrar General) at the NSW Lands Office where the Reg General's staff handled BDM and title deeds and Deed Polls and etc etc etc....

Cheers,  JM