Author Topic: Anthony Durkin and family - Middlesbrough  (Read 17224 times)

Offline BA8501

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Anthony Durkin and family - Middlesbrough
« on: Tuesday 06 August 13 14:34 BST (UK) »
I am excited to have finally located my grandmother's older brother Anthony Durkin after a long search.  Anthony was born in Ireland but settled in Middlesbrough. He died in February of 1931.

I am hoping someone can help me find the burial location of Anthony and his wife Margaret.  (I think Margaret died in 1944.)  They married in 1901 and had a large family, some of whom died young. 

The family was Catholic so I suspect they may be buried in St. Joseph's Cemetery or another Catholic cemetery in the area.

Any information about the burial location of members of the Durkin family, particularly Anthony and Margaret, would be most welcome.

I have another question as well...Does anyone know of a source of obituaries from Middlesbrough?  I would like to be able to know more about the family than just the names and dates. 

Since I live in the US, I would be grateful for any information from those more familiar with the area.

Thank you for any help.

Barbara

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
Re: Anthony Durkin and family - Middlesbrough
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 24 December 13 22:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi Barbara

I've just come across your post and have noticed that you didn't get any replies. I'm not sure how much I can help you but at least your query will be bumped up the board where someone else may be able to help you.

Congratulations on finding details of your great uncle.  :)  There is a Catholic cemetery at Thorntree in Middlesbrough as well as the one you mention. Here is the link for Middlesbrough Council cemeteries:

http://www.middlesbrough.gov.uk/index.aspx?articleid=1805

Obituaries would have been published in the Evening Gazette which covers the wider area. It is included in the searches from the British Newspaper Archive:

http://www.britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk/

There are some Rootschatters who have a good knowledge of a number of the cemeteries in the area, fingers crossed that they see this and are able to offer further help.

Good luck with your research and a very happy Christmas to you.  :)
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline Nannawilk

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 25 December 13 19:35 GMT (UK) »
Thanks to Roobarb for bumping this up and for pointing me in the direction of Thorntree cemetery. Unfortunately I have no news about Anthony Durkin but the following MIs are from Thorntree RC cemetery

In loving memory of our parents Edna DURKIN d 31 Mar 1962 aged 41 yrs. Michael DURKIN d 25 Feb 1981 aged 66 yrs

Dear husband and Dad John DURKIN d 30 Sep 1956 aged 64 yrs. His wife Margaret d 2 Jan 1964 aged 71 yrs

In loving memory of dear wife and mother Mary Agnes DURKIN d 9 Apr 1963 aged 60 yrs. Her husband John A. DURKIN d 18 May 1973 aged 72 yrs. Remembered by g/daughter Cath

Treasured memories of a dear husband, dad and g/dad Terence DURKIN 1927-1995

Merry Christmas  :D :D

Offline macintosh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 28 December 13 07:08 GMT (UK) »
Not sure if there is a connection but I remember this Durkin family from the fireplace shop they had on Cleveland Street Middlesbrough, Patrick Durkin, actor was the son of the owner.

The link wouldn't work, perhaps if you google Durkins' fireplace shop cleveland st. middlesbrough

James

Offline BA8501

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 13 January 14 23:25 GMT (UK) »
Thank you to Roobarb for bumping my query and for all your kind replies.

A couple questions ...

1.  What are "MIs" as mentioned by Nannawilk?  Are they Memorial Inscriptions? ..Gravestone inscriptions?  Is there a source to find these inscriptions (other than visiting the cemetery?)

2.  What is a public grave?  Are there likely to be specific gravestones for someone buried in a public grave?

I did not have any luck finding any obituaries through the link to the britishnewspaperarchives.

Thank you to Nannawilk for the listings from Thorntree RC Cemetery.  My research indicates that the Michael on that list was a son to my Anthony Durkin and Edna was Michael's wife. I am not familiar with the other Durkins lon the list, although it is possible that there is a family connection.

Thank you for the information about the Fireplace Shop owned by Durkin family members.

I have managed to find some records for my Durkins who were buried in St. Joseph's Catholic Cemetery, although I have only burial records and no gravestone inscriptions.

Thank you again.

Barbara

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 14 January 14 15:57 GMT (UK) »
MIs does refer to Memorial Inscriptions. The Cleveland Family History society has a number of publications, one of them is for MIs for St. Joseph's Cemetery, look under North Ormesby in the list.

http://www.clevelandfhs.org.uk/Publications.htm

From what I've read a public grave is the same as a common grave in which a number of unrelated people were buried, usually because their families could not afford to pay for a private grave.
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline martyn2445

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 03 August 14 14:41 BST (UK) »
Hello Barbara,
My name is Martyn Durkin from the UK my family are the Durkin's from Middleborough. John and Patrick (the Actor). are and were my Dad William's Cousins.

Regards
Martyn

Offline john durkin

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 03 August 14 20:06 BST (UK) »
Dear Barbara, My name is John Durkin and Anthony Durkin was my grandfather.I still live in Middlesbrough. I have his First World War medals and his old leather wallet. My father was Patrick who nursed Peggy (my grandmother) after the 2nd world war when she was bombed out of the family home by the Germans. I am custodian of my fathers book which records in great detail the familys battle against poverty and hardship from the great war till today. You have found what you were looking for at last and the family history will fascinate and sadden you when I am able to tell you everything. I am new on Roots but will learn quickly I am sure. Kind Regards, John.  P.S. Google Patrick Durkin (actor) for info on my late brother.

Offline john durkin

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Martyn Durkin.
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 03 August 14 20:21 BST (UK) »
Dear Martyn, Was your dad Billy and his brother Tommy from Birmingham UK? Your mother was my auntie Emily? Is your dad still alive and did they ever find Tommy again after he vanished from Emilys funeral which I attended? So pleased to have made contact. JOHN.