Author Topic: Jersey Bmd records - on-line availability ?  (Read 9138 times)

Offline Soureau

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Jersey Bmd records - on-line availability ?
« on: Thursday 08 August 13 08:21 BST (UK) »
Good morning everyone,

Never having done any Channel Islands research before, would anyone be kind enough to indicate whether it's possible to access on-line Bmd records for Jersey, in the same way as GRO records or Bmd's on findmypast for example ?

I'm looking for a marriage between GOSSELIN (groom) and LUCIA (bride) c1935-1945.

Any help with this would be gratefully received !

Many thanks,

Nick

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Jersey Bmd records - on-line availability ?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 08 August 13 08:41 BST (UK) »
Try Jerripedia?
http://www.theislandwiki.org/index.php/Jerripedia

And look at Family Research - some records online, but I'm not sure about recent events (recent = after WW1!)
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline msr

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 08 August 13 10:11 BST (UK) »
Hi Nick

I was recently searching for someone who I know had died on Jersey in 1876 (thanks to the digitised newspapers) but could find nothing other than a list of researchers who charged various prices for their time.

Being a member of a FH society, and knowing how helpful we try to be, I decided to look up the Channel Islands one and ask for guidance.

Perhaps you can do the same.    http://www.jerseyfamilyhistory.org/

I discovered that certificates cost £20.00, which makes ours look quite reasonable.
Note that I did say 'makes'.    ::)

Good luck

Susan

Offline Ringrose

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 08 August 13 11:27 BST (UK) »
I agree with KGarrard that Jerripedia is the site to go to.Loads of records and a very large number of family trees.Over the last year they have put so many church records on line and the site is always being updated
Even if you have no family to research anyone visiting th island would love all the old pictures and stories available on th site.
Ringrosr
Mann Ringrose Prior( West London)Prior (Halstead Colchester and Sudbury)Ringrose (Northants) Clark(sussex  Bath)Light(Shropshire West London)Barber(Northants)Gaudern (Northants)Piper(Suffolk)Carter (Essex)Nightingale,Stiles,Dunk,Hedgecock(Kent)Mann(south Devon )Le Cronier,Le Quesne,Poingdestre,Esnouf,Le Guyt,Anley.Le Carteret(Jersey)Clark(Bath,Batcombe,and Nyland )
er(essex)Nightingale(kent Sussex)Sutton (sussex)

Offline la grande-méthe

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 08 August 13 12:55 BST (UK) »
Agreed that the pictures and stories on Jerripedia are interesting however the trees are submitted so it is advisable to verify them. Records only go up to 1842 and although the original transcriptions done by the Family History Society include godparents when Jerripedia acquired their records they chose not to include them. With so many common Jersey names godparents are vital as the registers often include the relationships between the godparent and the child being baptized.

Susan - try joining the Channel Island family History Society, members can have research done for £5 an hour and although copies of certificates do cost £20 they can be viewed at no cost and details transcribed and passed on.

Offline Ringrose

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 08 August 13 13:16 BST (UK) »
My Le Cronier tree on Jerripedia originally came from Societie Jersiase.I found them on a visit to St Helier andtheyhad were very helpful in their research room .An earlier visit to the archives in St Helier proved to be a waste of time .....there seemed to be no one who could advise how to search.
Ringrose
Mann Ringrose Prior( West London)Prior (Halstead Colchester and Sudbury)Ringrose (Northants) Clark(sussex  Bath)Light(Shropshire West London)Barber(Northants)Gaudern (Northants)Piper(Suffolk)Carter (Essex)Nightingale,Stiles,Dunk,Hedgecock(Kent)Mann(south Devon )Le Cronier,Le Quesne,Poingdestre,Esnouf,Le Guyt,Anley.Le Carteret(Jersey)Clark(Bath,Batcombe,and Nyland )
er(essex)Nightingale(kent Sussex)Sutton (sussex)

Offline msr

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 08 August 13 14:11 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the suggestion la grande-méthe.  I would certainly join if I had further research to do in the Channel Islands. 
As it is, I was only interested in obtaining the death certificate for someone who died whilst staying in a hotel there (he was from Lancashire), and the secretary at CIFHS was very helpful indeed. 

I already knew the date and place of death from an extensive piece in his home-town newspaper following his funeral back home.  Now, thanks to excellent help, I know cause of death.
Very sad, he was only 32 but it would appear he had ill health for quite a while..

I would advise anyone researching a particular area to join the FHS. Invaluable.

Susan

Offline Soureau

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 08 August 13 21:37 BST (UK) »
Good evening everyone,

Thank you all for your time and trouble. The links and suggestions should be very helpful.

Much appreciated.

Nick

Offline meles

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 24 May 14 19:48 BST (UK) »
I have been looking for a Jersey birth for a friend for weeks. Not on Ancestry. Not on LDS.

Then I came to RootsChat. Of course, someone had the info I needed. One quick check with Jerripedia, and there he was! :)

Thanks.

meles
Brock: Alburgh, Norfolk, and after 1850, London; Tooley: Norfolk<br />Grimmer: Norfolk; Grimson: Norfolk<br />Harrison: London; Pollock<br />Dixon: Hampshire; Collins: Middx<br />Jeary: Norfolk; Davison: Norfolk<br />Rogers: London; Bartlett: London<br />Drew: Kent; Alden: Hants<br />Gamble: Yorkshire; Huntingford: East London

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk