Author Topic: Llety, Rhoscolyn in the 1860's  (Read 21726 times)

Offline Owen ap Anglesey

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Llety, Rhoscolyn in the 1860's
« on: Friday 09 August 13 18:15 BST (UK) »
Have various documents connecting my family with an Address called "Llety" in Rhoscolyn in the period 1660 to 1871. Infuriatingly a section of Rhoscolyn (including Llety) is missing off the 1861 census records as provided by the "Ancestry web site" where I maintain my family tree.
Recently informed that Ancestry does have a few transcribing errors and omissions for Anglesey in the mid 1800's and indeed have been sent some corrections from an anonymous fellow enthusiast obtained from the web site "Find my Past".
So my plea is - can anyone find the family living at Llety (or sometimes called Llety Mawr, Llety Bach or even LletDu.) in 1861

Offline dragonT

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Llety, Rhoscolyn in the 1860's
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 10 August 13 17:50 BST (UK) »
I've noticed that both of these sites have the same records for Rhoscolyn in the 1861 census - RG9/4373/Enum. Dist. 5/Pages 1-10/Schedule Nos. 1(Bodior) to 50(Brynteg).

Searching the National Archives online catalogue for RG9/4373 explains the missing addresses.

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/SearchUI/Details?uri=C3102405

A note says "Missing pages: Enumeration district 5: 11-20 (227 persons); Enumeration district 9: 1-2 (? persons)".

Regards
Anglesey - Thomas:
Bodedern, Heneglwys, Llanfair-yn-Neubwll.
Anglesey - Jones:
Llanfaethlu, Llanfair-yn-Neubwll, Rhoscolyn.
Anglesey - Parry:Llanfair-yn-Neubwll.
Anglesey - Lewis:Llanbadrig.
Anglesey - Willins & Tyran/Tyrer

Caernarvonshire - Evans and Lewis:Llanberis.

Denbighshire - Jenkins:Llandynan, Llantysilio, Cerrigydrudion.
Denbighshire - Jones:Rhos, Ruabon.
Denbighshire - Jones:Henllan

Flintshire - Mathews:Northop

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Owen ap Anglesey

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 13 August 13 11:08 BST (UK) »
Thank you dragonT for providing confirmation of the lost section of Rhoscolyn in 1861, I even rang the National Archives just in case they had made an error - but no - part of Rhoscolyn is lost for ever.
Also thanks to Cae Howel for P.M.

Offline aled23

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 14 August 13 17:07 BST (UK) »
My Rowlands ancestors lived at Llety Bach...John and Margaret, he being born 1781 trewalchmai ?!!!

Offline Owen ap Anglesey

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 14 August 13 17:45 BST (UK) »
Aled 23

Have been aware of the Rowlands family at Llety Bach from the 1841 census, but unable to connect them to my own ancestors. Have also just realised that my initial message had an error - my known connection with Llety is from 1860 to 1871 (and not 1660 to 1871). My apologies.

Offline richardemlyn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 31 December 14 23:53 GMT (UK) »
I think I may have family that used to live at Llety Bach. I have a Richard Rowlands and a Lewis Rowlands around 1850 to 1900 in the Rhoscolyn area. A son of Lewis, another Richard moved to Llanfachraeth around 1905 ish and I'm his grandson. I have a couple of 2nd cousins living in Valley now. Wonder if anyone has Richard or Lewis documented in Rhoscolyn.

Richard

Offline Owen ap Anglesey

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 01 January 15 15:56 GMT (UK) »
The Rowlands family at Llety bach in 1841 as follows,
John Rowlands aged 45
Margaret Rowlands aged 40 - wife
Thomas Rowlands aged 9 - son
Robert Rowlands aged 5 - son
Owen Rowlands aged 3 - son
David Rowlands aged 4 months - son   May have died Jan 1843 aged 2

I think that John and Margaret by 1851 are still in Rhoscolyn at a different House called Llethu.

But unable to find the Richard and Lewis Rowlands you mention. Do you have any birth information on these two ?

Offline richardemlyn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 01 January 15 17:10 GMT (UK) »
Pretty glad to receive your response. Provisionally I have as follows but not convinced that I have it correct.
John Rowland b1796 Trewalchmai - 06/1872 Rhoscolyn m Margaret Williams b1801 d Rhoscolyn
They had at least one child, Edward Rowland b 20/02/1819 Rhoscolyn d 1858 m Sarah Owen b1815 Llanfihangel yn Nhowyn d 13/12/1859 Rhoscolyn.
They had Owen Rowland b 1840 Holyhead, Margaret Rowland b1844 Rhoscolyn and my Great Grandfather Lewis Rowland b1851 Rhoscolyn d10/11/1900, he (Lewis) m (Rhoscolyn 1,5,117 on 18/2/1873) Margaret Jones b1851 d 1914 Four Mile Bridge.
They, Lewis and Margaret had 9 children that I have traced and a possible 10th b 1901. The children are Anne Jane who married a Fred Mawdsley, Edward, John, Mary, Ellen, Lewis, Margaret, sarah and my grandfather Richard Rowlands b 1885 Rhoscolyn d 29/06/1970. He married twice, both Mary Jones's and lived in Bontlwyd, Llanfachraeth, had 7 children inc my dad Lewis b 14/11/1907 at Bontlwyd, Llanfachraeth.
Anything you have will be very appreciated.

RR

Offline dragonT

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 02 January 15 12:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi RR,

I've searched transcriptions of Anglesey BMD records for references to your Rowland relatives and found the following. Much of this confirms what you already have but there are some discrepancies.

Children of Edward & Sarah Owen:
Owen Rowland, son of Edward and Sarah Owen, born 19 Nov 1839 - Holyhead
Margaret Jones, dau. of Edward and Sarah Owen, born 13 Dec 1843 - Rhoscolyn
Lewis Jones, son of Edward and Sarah Owen, born 27 Jun 1850 - Rhoscolyn
Edward Rowlands, son of Edward and Sarah Owen, born 11 Nov 1853 - Rhoscolyn
John Rowland, son of Edward and Sarah Owen, born 13 Sep 1856 - Rhoscolyn
(I assume Margaret and Lewis were registered as the children of Edward Jones, he being named Jones patronymically from his father John Rowland).

Deaths:
John Rowland 5 Apr 1868 age 11, at Bont Ry Bont, Rhoscolyn, son of labourer Edward Rowland.
Edward Rowland 6 Dec 1872 age 54, at Bont Ry Bont, Rhoscolyn labourer. Informant Lewis Rowland.
Sarah Rowland 15 Nov 1859 age 44, at Four Mile Bridge, Rhoscolyn, wife of agricultural labourer Edward Rowland. (I believe Bont Ry Bont is Welsh for Four Mile Bridge).

Marriage Lewis Rowland and Margaret Jones:
As you say occurred at Rhoscolyn Parish Church 18 Feb 1873 (Rhoscolyn 1, 59, 117), but Lewis's father is recorded as Rowland Rowland.

There is also a marriage at Llanfair yn Neubwll 21 Nov 1838 which may be the marriage of Sarah Owen and Edward despite Edward being referred to as Edward Williams - which I cannot explain.
The details are:-
Edward Williams (full age, bachelor, labourer) of Penybont, son of John Rowland, labourer married Sarah Owen (full age, spinster) of Cymmuran, dau of Owen Thomas, labourer. Edward and Sarah both signed by mark. Witnesses Owen Thomas (by mark) and David Williams.
Anglesey - Thomas:
Bodedern, Heneglwys, Llanfair-yn-Neubwll.
Anglesey - Jones:
Llanfaethlu, Llanfair-yn-Neubwll, Rhoscolyn.
Anglesey - Parry:Llanfair-yn-Neubwll.
Anglesey - Lewis:Llanbadrig.
Anglesey - Willins & Tyran/Tyrer

Caernarvonshire - Evans and Lewis:Llanberis.

Denbighshire - Jenkins:Llandynan, Llantysilio, Cerrigydrudion.
Denbighshire - Jones:Rhos, Ruabon.
Denbighshire - Jones:Henllan

Flintshire - Mathews:Northop

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk