Author Topic: Cosker Family  (Read 2655 times)

Offline peacerose

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Cosker Family
« on: Saturday 10 August 13 18:49 BST (UK) »
I am looking for information on the Cosker family.  The names I have are Owen Cosker married to Susan McGinnie, both born in Ireland around 1820's.  As far as I know they had at least three of a family.  Michael, Patrick and James all born in Ireland, but moved to Scotland.  James is my direct ancestor.

I do no know what part of Ireland they are from as the census records for Scotland only say they were born in Ireland. :)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Cosker Family
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 10 August 13 20:02 BST (UK) »
Do you mean you don't know where in Ireland they lived or just where in County Down? (you've posted this under Co. Down so perhaps you do at least know the county)

Civil registration of deaths started in 1864 and nothing seems to come up for an Owen or Susan Cosker- perhaps they died before 1864 or the surname is slightly different (McCosker, McCuskey, etc.)

Also, nothing shows up in thi Co. Down surname database-
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~rosdavies/SURNAMES/Afrontpage.htm

There may be more details in Scottish records- did any of the 3 brothers live in Scotland until 1911? the 1911 English census seems to often give a more exact place of birth than 'Ireland' so perhaps this will also be the case in Scottish records.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline peacerose

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 10 August 13 22:05 BST (UK) »
Do you mean you don't know where in Ireland they lived or just where in County Down? (you've posted this under Co. Down so perhaps you do at least know the county)

Civil registration of deaths started in 1864 and nothing seems to come up for an Owen or Susan Cosker- perhaps they died before 1864 or the surname is slightly different (McCosker, McCuskey, etc.)

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~rosdavies/SURNAMES/Afrontpage.htm

There may be more details in Scottish records- did any of the 3 brothers live in Scotland until 1911? the 1911 English census seems to often give a more exact place of birth than 'Ireland' so perhaps this will also be the case in Scottish records.
Sorry, I did not mean to post on County Down surname database.  This is my second post, I am still trying to find my feet.  The brothers who moved to Scotland all died before 1911.  I am lead to believe that sometimes the Cosker surname could also be Cosgrove.  Thanks for prompt response. :)

Offline BallyaltikilliganG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 18 August 13 20:51 BST (UK) »
Looking at Griffiths valuation, we find in various years between 1852-1864
Cosker living in Co Carlow, Co Down 1864 Tullylish, Co Fermanagh, Co Londonderry, Co Tyrone Co Wicklow, Co Wexford
McCosker living in  Co Antrim, Tens live in Co Down inc Tullylish and other Co Down areas.etc etc.   However the vast majority are living in Co Fermanagh and Co Tyrone.

Looking at census of Ireland in 1901 the only people living in Ireland relevant
Cosker lived in  Co Wicklow, Coolboy district, Hillbrook Lower townland.
McCosker lived in Co Donegal, Raphoe and Clonleigh South ie Lifford, Co Tipperary, Killavinoge district, Co Tyrone, , in Strabane. one in Waterford,
By 1911, they no longer lived in Co Tipperary, or in Co Tyrone

So you your mischance of going onto the Co Down board has paid dividends after all. However the McCosker who vanished, or who experienced a drop in population from the north of Ireland are significant. The period appears to be mostly between 1864 and 1901. I hope you find the reason.

Anyway you have along way to go, but don’t give up keep looking at all the Griffiths Valuation and possible an uncommon first name coming through time might give you a clue where to look earlier.
Good luck , JimG
PS the website is http://www.askaboutireland.ie/griffith-valuation/index
Gracey Gracie Gracy Grassy Greacy
worldwide

Offline BallyaltikilliganG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 18 August 13 21:01 BST (UK) »
I went back puzzled that Ros Davies hadn't got Cosker or mcCosker, and then found I hadnt looked carefully enough, I think she has most of her entries under McCusker inc one or more in Tullylish, good hunting
If they worked in mines in Scotland, there is a chance they got told about the job by one of the big landlords e.g. the Lord Londonderry estates
Gracey Gracie Gracy Grassy Greacy
worldwide

Offline peacerose

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 19 August 13 20:32 BST (UK) »
Hi Jim,  Again, thanks for looking at my post re-Coskers.  It has been quite difficult finding out about them, although it is not a common name.  The information I have is on moving from Ireland they settled in Wigton, although my branch of the family moved to Ayr.  I will have a look at Griffiths.   :) :)

Offline Paul_R

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 03 August 21 20:15 BST (UK) »
Hello… not sure if this thread is still live.  I am the grandson of Owen Cosker, son of Annie and James Cosker.  He grew up in Wigton… would be interested in your findings….

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 09 August 21 09:17 BST (UK) »

Welcome to RootsChat, Paul_R  :)

If you make at least one more reply on this thread, you will be able to use the PM (Personal Message) system to contact peacerose. He/she was online here in April, so hopefully his/her e-mail notifications are working and a response will be forthcoming.

Good luck  :D

KG

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline Paul_R

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 09 August 21 10:57 BST (UK) »
Thanks for flagging KG!