Author Topic: Gggrrrrrr!! Private Tree on Ancestry photos copied  (Read 84187 times)

Offline mrs.tenacious

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Gggrrrrrr!! Private Tree on Ancestry photos copied
« on: Sunday 11 August 13 18:48 BST (UK) »
I know that tree information on Ancestry being purloined has been frequently discussed on here before,
and I understand that having a tree on Public Tree setting leaves us all wide open to our research being copied willy-nilly. 

But since becoming a member 6 years ago I have always had my tree on Private setting.  If I ever make contact with anyone showing a link with my ancestors, I always ensure they have a strong and relevant link to my family before inviting them to view my tree, share any family photos, but always request that those photos are not included on any public trees.  Nearly everyone I've been in contact with has been happy to agree. 

Today (and for the third time in about as many years), Ancestry has shown that one of my photos has been copied to a public tree belonging to someone I have had no contact with.  After this had happened before, I contacted the people concerned and they said they were able to access the photos.

I added a note underneath my photos, politely requesting that none were to be copied without my permission, but it has happened again.  I have contacted Ancestry asking for an explanation, and await their reply.

Surely if a tree is on Private Setting, others shouldn't be able to access and copy them?

Has this happened to anyone else?
Rogers: Sussex
Sanders/Saunders: Brenchley, Kent
Hales: Navenby, Lincs
Lidbetter: Sussex
Burns: Birmingham/Weston-super-Mare
Gray/Stocks: Weston-super-Mare
Hayden
Bubb: Kent
Ward: Notts

Offline Greensleeves

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Gggrrrrrr!! Private Tree on Ancestry photos copied
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 11 August 13 18:56 BST (UK) »
I changed my Ancestry tree from public to private a few months ago because I was tired of people plundering my family photos and invariably wrongly attributing them.  I will be most upset if despite this, people are still able to take them.  I don't mind if people contact me first and we establish a link.  I have gained some interesting photos myself in this way so both parties benefit.  It is the people who help themselves without reference to me that makes me cross.  Will be interested to hear what Ancestry has to say, Mrs T.
Suffolk: Pearl(e),  Garnham, Southgate, Blo(o)mfield,Grimwood/Grimwade,Josselyn/Gosling
Durham/Yorkshire: Sedgwick/Sidgwick, Shadforth
Ireland: Davis
Norway: Torreson/Torsen/Torrison
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 11 August 13 19:00 BST (UK) »
Isn't it the case though that once you have given access ti someone that they can then pass the access on to someone else?
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Zeya who has a plastic bag fetish
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 11 August 13 19:04 BST (UK) »
But when you use a commerical website everything you put on to it belongs to that commerical website, you understand that when you sign up, so public or private nothing on it 'belongs' to you you gave that right away when you used their website. That is likely what they will tell you, which is why having software on your own computer means it remains YOURS and only yours.

If you give access to ANYONE they can then pass information onto others
Leicestershire:Chamberlain, Dakin, Wilkinson, Moss, Cook, Welland, Dobson, Roper,Palfreman, Squires, Hames, Goddard, Topliss, Twells,Bacon.
Northamps:Sykes, Harris, Rice,Knowles.
Rutland:Clements, Dalby, Osbourne, Durance, Smith,Christian, Royce, Richardson,Oakham, Dewey,Newbold,Cox,Chamberlaine,Brow, Cooper, Bloodworth,Clarke
Durham/Yorks:Woodend, Watson,Parker, Dowser
Suffolk/Norfolk:Groom, Coleman, Kemp, Barnard, Alden,Blomfield,Smith,Howes,Knight,Kett,Fryston
Lincolnshire:Clements, Woodend

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 11 August 13 19:11 BST (UK) »
I've seen photos appear in the Photos & Maps search results, but when I've clicked on the associated tree it has been private.  I don't use ancestry trees for exactly this reason, so couldn't comment on whether there is another tick box that needs ticking somewhere.  I think the only way you can keep the tree completely private, is to tick the box that says keep it out of the search results.
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 11 August 13 19:19 BST (UK) »
As others have said, once you allow anyone to have access to your tree you then have no control over what happens to your photos. They may have said that they won't put them on a public tree, but may then pass them on to someone else who does.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline mrs.tenacious

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 11 August 13 19:20 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your comments davidft & iluheah - you've hit the nail on the head as after further checking it appears there is just one person who has added the photo to their public tree, and this is where the others have found and copied it from.

Looks like I'm going to have to message that person and ask them to remove it, message the other from today and do the same.

Sadly I think I shall have to remove all the photos on my Ancestry tree, and go with iluleah, attaching them to my own software programme.

That being said, like so many who have said the same before me on here, I would never copy photos from another tree without asking the owner's permission first.  What a shame we all don't think alike!  :(

(Fair comment smudwhuisk & groom - posted after your replies!)
Rogers: Sussex
Sanders/Saunders: Brenchley, Kent
Hales: Navenby, Lincs
Lidbetter: Sussex
Burns: Birmingham/Weston-super-Mare
Gray/Stocks: Weston-super-Mare
Hayden
Bubb: Kent
Ward: Notts

Offline jess5athome

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad,20/10/1934 - 27/07/2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 11 August 13 19:26 BST (UK) »
Hi, it really does need explaining to members of Ancestry what Ancestry's definition of private is, I have just been looking at records on Ancestry and found a photograph relating to my Dutch Grandfather, (my tree is private) in the publicly accessable photographs, and before anyone asks I have never given access to that particular tree to anyone.
I have emailed them asking how that could happen.
Frank.
Ramsey Ridsdale Ridgway Kempen Knight Harrison Denby Sisson Graney Spilsbury Wain Hebden Abbott Skinn ........ Yorkshire (Doncaster Goole Snaith Thorne area)Lincolnshire Nottinghamshire The Netherlands

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 11 August 13 19:57 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Apparently there is a glitch with the sister site Mundia.com - Someone joined Ancestry affiliate Mundia.com, fully expecting that there 3 public trees would be accessed from Ancestry.com. What they did not expect was that they would also upload that persons 2 private Ancestry trees AND some private trees that they did not own but were included on as an invited guest.

Pretty lengthy message board posts here:-

http://boards.ancestry.co.uk/topics.ancestry.ancsite/12540/mb.ashx

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada