Author Topic: help with my irish family tree please  (Read 18271 times)

Offline bobdunford6

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: help with my irish family tree please
« Reply #54 on: Sunday 06 October 13 14:46 BST (UK) »
MARIA GREEG/GREGG. First i would like to point out an observation made by Aghadowey yesterday that the enumerator numbers the census forms and the addresses dont always match what he has recorded i e there is no 29 Leeson Park Avenue in 1911 recorded. [ edit should have said 1901 ]

Calendar of wills and administrations
16 Jan 1904 Probate of the will of Maria Elizabeth Gregg formerly of 29 Leeson Park Ave and late of Glasthule Rd Sandycove who died 30 Dec 1904 at latter place granted to Henry B Gregg 62pds 15s 10d.

1901 census of 17 Mount Pleasant Sq ,Henry Gregg age 29 married to Henrietta Scales.
1911 census of 22 Ashdale Grove, Terenure, Henry B Gregg age 38.

12 Jan 1898 Probate of the will of The Rev William Burroughs Gregg formerly of 81 Grosvenor Sq, Rathmines and late of 22 Fitzwilliam Ave, Ormeau Rd ,Belfast,a clerk died 12 Sep 1898 at latter place, granted at Dublin to Maria E Gregg of 29 Leeson Park Ave the widow. 779pds 14s 6d.

cant see any obvious connection to your family.
could it be that maria gregg lived with her husband william burroughs gregg,in 81 grosvenor sq rathmines dublin .with her servant anne murphy and john murphy and there children
before moving to 29 leeson park avenue,as seen in the 1901 census.
i have been told by there family that maria gregg maiden name was maria elizabeth kerr her father the rev william kerr from monaghan,wanted a servant ,and anne apllied and got the job,
in 1870 maria kerr married william burroughs gregg and moved to dublin,taking anne her servant with them
maria gregg and william burroughs gregg had a son born to them in 1871 name of william burroughs gregg
in 1871 the same year anne met and married john murphy.stableman to trinity college
they allmoved in together
 1872 peter murphy was born
1876 john  murphy was born
1882 patrick murphy was born
in 1887 michael murphy was born
in 1890 thomas murphy was born
now by this they all could have been born in 81 grosvenor sq rathmines dublin
if so we are looking for another parish roman catholic church where they all were baptized
in dec 1904 maria gregg died leaving everthing to her son william burroughs gregg
now the murphy family had to find another home which would have been in 1905
in 1911 census we seee that johnurphy had died
1911 census residents of a house in 1 westmoreland park .rathmines and rathgar east dublin
ann murphy age 60 widow
with her sons and grand sons and daughter
little bit more
in 1943 peter murphy died buried in mount jerome cemetry attestant his brother michael murphy stll living at 1 westmoreland park.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Sunday 06 October 13 14:54 BST (UK) »
It is very difficult to read long posts without proper punction, capital, etc. Also, quoting previous replies for no rewason makes your own post harder to follow.

Henry Burroughs Gregg born 1871 Kings Co./Offaly not Dublin-
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/F53Z-MLR
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/F5TV-8Z2

Birth certificates for the Murphy children will give you exact places of birth, father's occupation and family address (if not place of birth).
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline bobdunford6

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Thursday 17 July 14 14:00 BST (UK) »
Hi Bob
I am not sure what paid subscription sites (Irish) you are hoping to sign up with the only
one I know that has facility for paypal is Ancestry.com, any of the other sites you will have
to contact them or check their terms and conditions. As for applying for certs in the GRO
Roscommon Ireland you can get a copy cert for research purposes. As far as I know they do
not have paypal facility. You either give your card details or post your application with the money i.e. research copy cert is €4.00 euros once you have all the details as in this post
Hi Bob

Have a look at this thread from start to end Ordering Certs from GRO Roscommon
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=599538.0

I have ordered certs from GRO Roscommon by post and have found them extremely efficient, I normally order research certs (photocopy) and each cert costs €4.00.  I have a standard letter/template where I state looking research cert (photocopy) of the original register for genealogy purposes

Name of person
Type of cert i.e. birth death or marriage
Registration District
Year Quarter
Volume No.
Page No.

Am  I right in saying that Thomas Murphy b approx. 1888-1890 married a Mary Ann Duffy if so I have found a match for a marriage of
Thomas Murphy and Mary Duffy
Year 1921
Jan to Mar 1921
Dublin South
Vol 2
Page 637
do you still have this certificate can i see it please,thisnmust be the one i am lookingfor where were they married,
Regards Genseacher

Offline bobdunford6

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Thursday 17 July 14 14:05 BST (UK) »
Hi Bob
A couple of questions.Are you estimating Thomas Murphy's birth year from his death certificate.On family search there are a number of possible birth records which are possibly correct.Did he have a middle name?
Do you know when his brothers died and how old they were?
Do you have the marriage record of Thomas to Mary Duffy.One possible match for the marriage is
Marriages Dublin South Jan/Mar 1921
Thomas Murphy
Volume 2
Page 637
If this is correct it will give their fathers names.
this is correct i have been searching every where ,is it possible for me to see it,it might give mary ann duffy mother and father,now you have got me excited,