Author Topic: Wife's Occupation?  (Read 6401 times)

Offline Phillip N Rhoda Searle

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Ridley Family
« Reply #27 on: Friday 13 January 17 22:31 GMT (UK) »
I am the granddaughter of Rhoda Ridley,  my daughters are named Rhoda and Annetta after the two sisters.
As far as I know, there was Emma, Charlotte, Annetta, Rhoda, Jack, and Tom. Tom was never married and is buried with my Grandmother.  All were travelling showmen.  As I still am,  along with the rest of the family

Offline Grace Matthews

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Wife's Occupation?
« Reply #28 on: Saturday 14 January 17 21:00 GMT (UK) »
I am the granddaughter of Charlotte Ridley and James Matthews. My father was also named James Matthews.  My mother was a "flattie" but travelled for a short time with my father. We kept in touch with my aunts - Susie, Polly, Netta and Rhoda. They all married into show families (Hill, Proctor, Ravenscroft and Sedgwick). My parents split up but my mother still helped out the Ravenscrofts at local fairs. I remember operating a juvenile, pitch a penny, hook a duck and spinning candy floss with both hands by the time I was nine years old!  I have very little information about the Matthews family. I don't think they were showmen. I have found information regarding the Ridley family on the census.  I know my grandfather James Matthews married Mary Ann Ridley (mother of Susie, Tommy and Grace). Grace died when she was 9 years old.  Tommy was killed in the war 1917.  After she died, my grandfather married her sister Charlotte Ridley. My father was the only surviving male Matthews as two of his brothers died in infancy (William and John).  My grandfather died in 1916, the same year as my father was born.  Charlotte Ridley later married George Hodson.  She died in 1936 but is buried with James Matthews Snr at Arnos Vale in Bristol. Along with my two brothers, James and Colin, I have visited the graves of John and Selina Ridley and Grace Matthews in Manor Park cemetery in London. I am so pleased to hear from you!  I had no idea the Ridley family were still travelling.  Looking forward to hearing from you.  Kind regards Grace

Offline Pinklady2708

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Wife's Occupation?
« Reply #29 on: Friday 05 November 21 19:50 GMT (UK) »
Phillip N Rhoda Searle I believe we are very distantly related.  My great, great grandad was John Ridley, son of John Ridley and Selina Manning and Rhoda's sister.  I'm impressed to hear that you are still travelling showmen and have often wondered if any of the Ridley's still were.  I would love to hear from you to share any information you may have please?