Author Topic: Laing Family from North Uist 1853  (Read 10190 times)

Offline maccavr

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Laing Family from North Uist 1853
« Reply #27 on: Friday 04 January 19 00:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ken and thanks for responding.

I have sent an email to the Heness family in Mount Gambier ... I suspect you will find a connection as I know Christine was from Laings that were on the Hercules and your Laings show Mt Gambier and Millicent areas.  Are you happy for me to pass on an email address for them to contact you?  I suspect they are not on Rootschat.

Re the MacLeans, would love to know any details in attempting to knock down my brickwalls!  i have attached a document that outlines what I know.  Please feel free to share this document and my email address of taniavr@internode.on.net with any connections that you feel may be interested/willing to share their info.

Regards,
Tania

Hi maccavr,

Thank you for the contact and info within it. I am always happy to chat about possible links to my FT.

The Henness family name is not one that I've come across so far and look forward to exploring that possible link.

I attach a pdf of links found in my Australian research so far and hope you can recognise someone in it.

My NU ancestors have a few links to MacLeans there and it would be good to expand that also.

Kind regards,
Ken

Offline maccavr

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Friday 04 January 19 02:03 GMT (UK) »
Ken Chrstine Heness from Mt Gambier has got back to me ...
This is her reply and her email address is peterchristine@internode.on.net 

Hi Tania,

That is my family tree, as I and many others descend from Angus and Janet (Laing) Ferguson, son Alexander and wife Margaret (Bigham), Angus and Flora (Fletcher) and my mum and Dad Maurice and Jean (Ferguson) Ward. I was Christine Ward, married twice, first husband Robert Southee and now second husband Peter Heness. Lots of relatives still live in this area of South Australia where the original family settled in 1860’s.

My tree is on ancestry.com.au but with a lot of gaps, as I have concentrated on researching an unrelated tree for a few years.

Yes you can send him my email address.

Thank you

Christine Heness

Hi Ken and thanks for responding.

I have sent an email to the Heness family in Mount Gambier ... I suspect you will find a connection as I know Christine was from Laings that were on the Hercules and your Laings show Mt Gambier and Millicent areas.  Are you happy for me to pass on an email address for them to contact you?  I suspect they are not on Rootschat.

Re the MacLeans, would love to know any details in attempting to knock down my brickwalls!  i have attached a document that outlines what I know.  Please feel free to share this document and my email address of taniavr@internode.on.net with any connections that you feel may be interested/willing to share their info.

Regards,
Tania

Hi maccavr,

Thank you for the contact and info within it. I am always happy to chat about possible links to my FT.

The Henness family name is not one that I've come across so far and look forward to exploring that possible link.

I attach a pdf of links found in my Australian research so far and hope you can recognise someone in it.

My NU ancestors have a few links to MacLeans there and it would be good to expand that also.

Kind regards,
Ken

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Friday 04 January 19 02:13 GMT (UK) »
Maccavr,

Just reading through & noticed this...

"Ann married Alexander MacAskill of Balemore and they lived at Bayhead (I have a little more on them). Marriage details Nov 1858 show Ann, 28 , of Oransay, North Uist - struggling with working that one out"

I'm wondering what you mean by 'working' it out?

I haven't checked anything yet, was just scrolling through posts on places of interest.

Annie

South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline maccavr

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Friday 04 January 19 02:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi Annie,
Oransay looks like a smaller island that possibly had a farm ... not sure about crofts etc, so wondering what a single 28 year old female would be doing there, or whether there were perhaps family connections?
Have been unable to find out anything about those aspects and in fact what was on Oransay.

Have passed your the email address onto Christine Heness also.

Cheers, and look forward to hearing more.  Email is probably easier for me, but flexible.

Tania

Maccavr,

Just reading through & noticed this...

"Ann married Alexander MacAskill of Balemore and they lived at Bayhead (I have a little more on them). Marriage details Nov 1858 show Ann, 28 , of Oransay, North Uist - struggling with working that one out"

I'm wondering what you mean by 'working' it out?

I haven't checked anything yet, was just scrolling through posts on places of interest.

Annie

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Friday 04 January 19 02:41 GMT (UK) »
I need to head off but...

I haven't had time to do the figures as I was searching the name of Sarah/Marion MacLean, is this a possible?

Middle Quarter 1841 ED 13 Sch No.55   

Sarah Maclean 60 Farmer
Rachel Maclean 25   
Donald Maclean 20      
Ann   Maclean 12   

Annie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Friday 04 January 19 02:50 GMT (UK) »
Oransay looks like a smaller island that possibly had a farm ... not sure about crofts etc, so wondering what a single 28 year old female would be doing there, or whether there were perhaps family connections?

The occupation of her father may be the answer, was he still alive when she married & what was her occ. on marriage?

Annie

Offline maccavr

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Friday 04 January 19 03:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi Annie
I believe that is listed from the 1841 census and shows who we know as Marion MacLean nee Monk, wife of my Alexander (c1770-1840). I have read in several places that Sarah is an other name for Marion! Marion was born 1779, died 1895.  This list (census I believe) shows here my Archie's 3 siblings, which tie up with the Croft Books records.
Other people show in their trees yet another sibling named Sarah born in 1818, which I suspect is perhaps daughter of a different Archibald.  According to Bill Lawson Alexander had died probably in the 1830's but prior to the 1841 census as Marion was shown as a widow in that census.   A notation I have not found.  In that census my Archie and his wife Ann (we think MacDonald) were shown with their two eldest children (Alexander 4 and Murdoch 2) at Dunskellor.
I am new to posting on Rootschat so I am not sure what you have seen and what you have not!  There are a couple of docs that show what we know so far.  The details from Bill Lawson have several of my notes in red and yellow highlighting.  I am assuming these were visible to you!
Thanks so much for responding .. if you prefer email that is fine (taniavr@internode.on.net).  Any leads most welcome.
Cheers for now,
Tania

I need to head off but...

I haven't had time to do the figures as I was searching the name of Sarah/Marion MacLean, is this a possible?

Middle Quarter 1841 ED 13 Sch No.55   

Sarah Maclean 60 Farmer
Rachel Maclean 25   
Donald Maclean 20      
Ann   Maclean 12   

Annie

Offline maccavr

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Friday 04 January 19 05:13 GMT (UK) »
Father died apparently prior to 1841 census.  Ann's marriage to Alexander MacLennan (1858)  shows father Alexander MacLean as Crofter deceased.  I have attached the SP marriage record in case you can decipher anything further!  I had posted this on a few Scottish ancestry FB pages for any locals to help with place names and that is where the Oransay interpretation came from under residence.  Have not managed to decipher an occupation.
I have cropped the image, however the file is too large to attach here.  I could email - if you want to have a look  pls advise email address. 

Cheers,
Tania

The occupation of her father may be the answer, was he still alive when she married & what was her occ. on marriage?

Annie

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Friday 04 January 19 22:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi Tania,

I haven't read any other posts of yours anywhere else.

I just have an interest in the 'Uists'  ;)

I will PM you my email for the marriage cert. of Ann MacLean & Alexander MacLennan.

Do any of the witnesses at any of the siblings' marriages show any likely relationships?

Annie