Author Topic: William Grisdale Illinois Civil War Soldier  (Read 2709 times)

Offline stephen lewis

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
William Grisdale Illinois Civil War Soldier
« on: Wednesday 14 August 13 16:37 BST (UK) »
I am trying to find more information about the parents of William (R) Grisdale born c. 1838 in New York but having moved to Illinois. He was a soldier in various Illinois regiments and married Anna Lee in  St Clair Co. Illinois on 20 Nov 1865 (This record can be found at the County Court Records located at Belleville, IL, Film # 1689026.) Does his marriage record name his parents or anything else.

Later Anna was to claim a pension in Indiana and Illinois in the 1880s and 1890s. Did William die in the Civil war or was he just injured?

Is there any record of his birth in New York?

I'm wondering if his father might have been the G Grisdale living in Illinois in 1855 with a wife and 9 children?? If so this might be the Gideon Grisdale mentioned here: http://grisdalefamily.wordpress.com/2013/08/14/from-ballet-dancer-to-fish-hawker-the-story-of-elizabeth-minnie-grisdale-gear-2/

Any help greatly appreciated.

Stephen Lewis

Online shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: William Grisdale Illinois Civil War Soldier
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 14 August 13 17:16 BST (UK) »
William filed for a pension as an invalid on 24 Nov. 1883.  Anna filed as a widow on 13 Oct. 1890.

Online shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 14 August 13 17:21 BST (UK) »
Anna's burial is listed here - http://stclair-ilgs.org/wh/blk20-1addsubd.htm

This seems to indicate that William was born in England - http://www.ilsos.gov/isaveterans/civilMusterSearch.do?key=100722

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 14 August 13 17:29 BST (UK) »
From the muster link posted by Shellyesq it appears he was enlisted as a substitute for a William "Golbettag" who had been drafted. There were only 55 such substitutes in Illinois (presumably they were paid by the draftee) .  http://www.museum.state.il.us/RiverWeb/landings/Ambot/Archives/vignettes/government/Civil_20War.html
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 14 August 13 17:56 BST (UK) »
Or was that a different William Grisdale?
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline stephen lewis

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 14 August 13 18:19 BST (UK) »
Anna's burial is listed here - http://stclair-ilgs.org/wh/blk20-1addsubd.htm

This seems to indicate that William was born in England - http://www.ilsos.gov/isaveterans/civilMusterSearch.do?key=100722

This helps a lot. Thanks. I can't find Anna'a death on the link, do you see the date? I'll check him in England now with dob 1826.

William filed for a pension as an invalid on 24 Nov. 1883.  Anna filed as a widow on 13 Oct. 1890.

Yes thanks, I thought it might mean that, but why no census entries for him or Anna?

Or was that a different William Grisdale?

I doubt it.

Stephen

Online shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 14 August 13 18:27 BST (UK) »
Anna's date of death is just to the right of her name - 4 Dec. 1895.

Offline stephen lewis

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 14 August 13 18:46 BST (UK) »
Anna's date of death is just to the right of her name - 4 Dec. 1895.
Thank you Shelly.

In the 1860 Census in Fulton Illinois we find a Will Grisdale an Ostler aged 22 born in NY (ie born circa 1838). The Muster out record gives William R Grisdale a Miner aged 38 in 1865; could it be a mis-transcription and be aged 28, therefore birth approx 1837? Or may we have two William Grisdales here? Though I think that would be strange.

Anna Lee married in St Clair which seems close to Fulton? Also the G Grisdale in the 1855 Illinois Census lived in Christian Ill. I'm not good on Illinois geography.

In the 1862 IRS Assessment there is a Grisdale & Evans in somewhere I can't read in Illinois?

It would be good to know what the middle letter R stands for?

Stephen

Online shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 14 August 13 19:01 BST (UK) »
I noticed that William R. filed for his invalid pension from Indiana, but Anna filed from Illinois. 

I found some articles from Indiana that referred to some violent outbreaks at mines.

Rochester Independent, 4 May 1878:  in a story about court case at Covington, Indiana involving a feud between union and non-union miners, it says that the prosecution accused various men of murder, including that William Grisdale killed Thomas Cooper.  It looks like William was released on bail, despite the judge believing or finding that he was guilty. 

Sullivan Democrat, 19 Jun. 1878 - it says there were troubles at the Coal Creek mine near Covington between the "white and colored miners".  There is a reference to "old Billy Grysdale" attempting to seek shelter and receiving a wound in the left leg that was not serious.

Logansport Pharos, 20 Jun. 1878 - in Covington, a warrant was issued against over 30 people for the shooting of William Grysdale.  It refers to 6 other white men being arrested for the killing of John Miles and Thomas Cooper and noted that they were 6 of the 14 who were acquitted last quarter of the killing of Phillip Cozzens.