Author Topic: Scottish OPRs-Sponsors  (Read 6777 times)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Scottish OPRs-Sponsors
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 09 December 18 21:07 GMT (UK) »
It looks to me like an error in the register - the clerk or whoever writing down the wrong name for the mother.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline RobinRedBreast

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 10 December 18 10:12 GMT (UK) »
Thank you.

It was my suspicion that it may have been an error in the baptism register, but I was not sure.
I wandered whether it would have been that, or an error in the death certificate register.
John Lamond's son was the informant at his death.

On balance I believe it may have been an error in the baptism register now.

Regarding Sponsors, this page here seems to state that they were godparents of the child being baptized:

https://blog.findmypast.co.uk/a-guide-to-understanding-catholic-records-2247627543.html

:)

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 10 December 18 13:05 GMT (UK) »
Regarding Sponsors, this page here seems to state that they were godparents of the child being baptized:

https://blog.findmypast.co.uk/a-guide-to-understanding-catholic-records-2247627543.html

That's correct. Only one sponsor is necessary at a Catholic baptism; usually there are two, one of each gender.
Cowban

Offline RobinRedBreast

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 10 December 18 13:18 GMT (UK) »

That's correct. Only one sponsor is necessary at a Catholic baptism; usually there are two, one of each gender.

Thank you,

There were two sponsors one of each gender, at each of the siblings of my John Lamonds baptisms.

Offline Fogmoose

• RootsChat Senior
  • For many hours and days that pass ever soon...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 18 December 18 03:57 GMT (UK) »
I'll put my head above the parapet and say that I have not found anything to suggest that there is any hard and fast rule or strong tradition. I have found lots of baptisms where there were both male and female witnesses, and often the witnesses were obviously relatives, but not always. In some parishes the witnesses generally had the same given name as the baby, but again this isn't universal.

The term 'sponsor' is fairly unusual in the Church of Scotland OPRs in my experience. Where it is used, it tends to indicate some sort of irregularity, for example I've seen a grandmother sponsor the baptism of an illegitimate child: Keith, 11 Decr 1814: The Moderator reported that Margaret Norie and William Young in Cottertown of Achanacy having compeared before the Presbytery of Strathbogie on Wednesday last adhered to their former declarations emitted before this Session. The Moderator further observed that he was instructed by the Presbytery to baptise the child of Margaret Norie on her finding a sufficient sponsor. Compeared the said Margaret Norie at whose request  the child was this day baptised she having produced her mother Jean Cruickshank as sponsor, who engaged and promised that the child shall not become a burden on the parish funds of Keith. [Keith Kirk Session minutes, National Archives of Scotland CH2/570/6/117]

The term 'sponsor' is regularly used in the Roman Catholic registers, however.

This, and the other posts in this thread, are extremely useful information. This helps add more  proof to one of my maternal ancestors b. 1847 illegitimate, in New Deer, that a relative whom I believe could be the child's G-Grandfather is listed in the OPR record as "Sponsor". Thank you for enlightening me!
Jaffray, Morrison - Monquhitter
Bird or Burd, Ironside - Methlick
Young - Aberdeen, Banffshire
Reid, Milne - Kincardineshire
Sanderson, Marshall, Marr - Foveran
Black, Ross - Rathven
Searle or Seale, Steel(e), Forbes, Adams- Aberdeen
Hutche(s)on, Keith, Greig, Fowlie - Cuminestown, New Deer, Monquhitter, Methlick

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 18 December 18 15:56 GMT (UK) »
What I am wandering please from a side note of that is this:
If a child was born outside of marriage would that child in the catholic register specifically be put down as being illegitimate? …...

All of the above had Alexander Lamond as the father, and MARGARET Farquharson as the mother.
However, John Lamond's mother was put on the register as JANNET Farquharson. But John was not put down on the register as being "illegitimate."

R.C. baptism registers usually include mother's maiden name.
 Transcriber/indexer of baptism register from one Irish Catholic parish misunderstood the form of entries and put maiden names of mothers as the child's surname, making it seem as though every baby born in the parish was illegitimate.
NB I only know about Catholic registers in Ireland and England.

Edit. I looked at baptisms of illegitimate children at a Catholic church in Burnley, Lancashire 1866-7 trancribed on Lancashire Online Parish Clerks website. There were 9. X was written in margin for 4 of them; "Non. Con." meaning not married for one and nothing against the other 4. I don't know if "X" signified illegitimacy or that the baby had later died. Several had only 1 sponsor - something I'd noticed before at baptisms of illegitimate babies at this church. I have no opinion on whether this baptism register was typical of Catholic churches - I selected it because it was a large parish in a working-class area and I knew there were several babies in the register who were born out of wedlock.
Cowban

Offline RobinRedBreast

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 19 December 18 12:49 GMT (UK) »
What I am wandering please from a side note of that is this:
If a child was born outside of marriage would that child in the catholic register specifically be put down as being illegitimate? …...

All of the above had Alexander Lamond as the father, and MARGARET Farquharson as the mother.
However, John Lamond's mother was put on the register as JANNET Farquharson. But John was not put down on the register as being "illegitimate."

R.C. baptism registers usually include mother's maiden name.
 Transcriber/indexer of baptism register from one Irish Catholic parish misunderstood the form of entries and put maiden names of mothers as the child's surname, making it seem as though every baby born in the parish was illegitimate.
NB I only know about Catholic registers in Ireland and England.

Edit. I looked at baptisms of illegitimate children at a Catholic church in Burnley, Lancashire 1866-7 trancribed on Lancashire Online Parish Clerks website. There were 9. X was written in margin for 4 of them; "Non. Con." meaning not married for one and nothing against the other 4. I don't know if "X" signified illegitimacy or that the baby had later died. Several had only 1 sponsor - something I'd noticed before at baptisms of illegitimate babies at this church. I have no opinion on whether this baptism register was typical of Catholic churches - I selected it because it was a large parish in a working-class area and I knew there were several babies in the register who were born out of wedlock.

Thank you.  :)

Offline RobinRedBreast

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 11 October 19 22:06 BST (UK) »
Regarding Ballater Church, St Nathalan:

Could somebody please tell me exactly where this was in Ballater?

My 3x great grandad George Sector was baptised there (according to "Scotlands People" website) on the 26th of June 1832. It was apparently a Roman Catholic Church.

But the problem is on google, the only reference I can find to a St Nathalan Church which was in Ballater, was one which was not built until 1905.

Scotlands people definitely gives it as "Ballater, St Nathalan." But confusingly family search give his baptism place as:  "Braemar and Glengairn, Aberdeenshire, Scotland."

Thank you.  :) ;)

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 11 October 19 22:29 BST (UK) »
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"