Author Topic: Samuel PARKER b 1796 Bitton  (Read 5758 times)

Offline WendyLou

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Samuel PARKER b 1796 Bitton
« Reply #9 on: Monday 13 November 17 21:31 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Capetown for the new information, which will help the research. I'm "onto" it ....  Much appreciated.

Offline WendyLou

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 13 November 17 21:38 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for making contact, Morganale .... Robert Parker Evans is my husband's great great grandfather. Thank you also for the names of the pamphlets which will provide a little "colourful" family history!! I have a "Mary" (b 1866) married to Charles Tuck (b 1866) .... I shall certainly look into the origins of my information. It is a complex family puzzle! :-)

Offline Morganale

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 13 November 17 21:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi Wendy Lou,
Charles Tuck was the brother of Ann Tuck who was my Great Grandmother.
He was married to Mary Jenkins b 1866. They had 14 children of whom only one survived, Mary E. Tuck born 1896. This info is on the 1911 census. I have always thought how awful this must have been for them.
 I have been doing more research on Samuel Parker 1796 and will post again soon with the results. I am currently trying to link various Parkers of Bitton/ Kingswood/ Oldland to each other.
Morganale

Offline Morganale

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 13 November 17 21:58 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Capetown for this information. It is very helpful. I have been doing more research on Samuel Parker 1796 and will post again soon with the results. I am currently trying to link various Parkers of Bitton/ Kingswood/ Oldland to each other.
Morganale

Offline WendyLou

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 16 November 17 11:59 GMT (UK) »
Further to Capetown's information .... I have been following the Gloucestershire Prison Records. I decided to follow Samuel's brother's (John) trail. I have:
- John Parker (20 yrs) before the courts in 1816 (along with Samuel Parker age 25) for destroying game;
- again in 1817, only this time named John Parker Alias Evans from Bitton (along with Joseph Parker from Kingswood) for stealing (as discovered by Capetown);
- in 1818, aged 24, for disobeying Orders of Bastardy;
- 1820, for leaving the family chargeable (committed by Joseph Parker);
- in 1822, once more with an alias of Evans, for being idle and disorderly, and willfully neglecting his wife and two children;
- 1824, jumping bail for violently assaulting and abusing Ann Parker (a single woman);
and finally, in 1854, as a Kingswood resident, for neglecting to support his wife and 1 child.

The birth date given for John Parker for these prison sentences seem to be 1793, whereas I have found a birth record for a John Parker, (father Samuel, and mother Elizabeth) born in 1791, in Frampton-Cotterell (near Winterbourne) - I was hoping that this was Samuel (1796)'s brother. The spanner in this though, is that in the 1816 hearing, Samuel was aged 25, and John 20 years old. My birthdates for these two are the other way around ie John is the eldest brother.

Open to suggestions .... and thanks in advance.

Offline Morganale

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 16 November 17 14:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi Wendy. I am pretty sure that the records you have found are something to do with our Parkers because of where they lived. The pamphlets I mentioned (Now available on Amazon btw.) are all about a lawless gang  called The Cock Road Gang that terrorised the area around Kingswood from the 1750's until the 1830's. It was like a private kingdom as they didn't recognise any form of authority. They held up stage coaches, ran a protection racket on the local farmers, imprisoned officials and burnt down the Toll Houses.
Our Parkers lived just off Cock Road (See various census addresses)so it would not be surprising if they were thieves and  beat people up. There was a government commission in the 1830's into the condition of the people living there which is also an interesting read and is available on line. (Terrible conditions and poverty I'm afraid.) If you google Cock Road Gang you will find a lot of references.

Offline Capetown

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 16 November 17 17:58 GMT (UK) »

UK Prison Hulk Register & Letter Books 'Justitia' - Moored at Woolwich

Received 31 January 1817

Samuel PARKER - aged 26 - Destroy Game
Joseph WRIGHT - aged 32 - ditto
Richard BECKLEY - aged 34 - ditto

Gloucester Q Sessions 14 January 1817

Sentenced 7 years

Transported 14 April 1817

Offline Morganale

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 16 November 17 18:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi Capetown, Thanks for your post.
The record for a Samuel Parker you found on the prison hulk in 1817 and sentenced to seven years transportation, cannot be our one as he was in Kingswood in 1821, when he married Mary Holt.
 I  have been looking at Mary Holt but cannot find any likely parents at the moment.
I will keep trying.
btw. The pamphlets about the Cock Road Gang I mentioned to Wendy Lou are available in UK on Amazon. Googling Cock Road Gang brings up some interesting background information about Kingswood. The Parkers lived just off Cock Road in 1841.
Morganale

Offline Morganale

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 06 March 18 16:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi Wendy and other contributors. I have been researching Mary Holt wife of Samuel Parker. It was suggested that she could be the daughter of William Jellard or Jillard Holt and Ann. I have found out that Ann was Anne Gautier and have also found her mother and grandmother. However I then came across this:-Mary Hort (1796-1874) - Find A Grave Memorial
https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/172045123 Mary Hort (1796-1874)
Daughter of Anne Gautier and William Jillard Hort, Mary Hort was a single woman who lived in Sumter, South Carolina and served as a school teacher. Her journal is available at the University of South Carolina in Columbia, SC. 1796: Born / Baptized: 16 October 1796 / 25 December 1796 as per England & Wales,...
William was a well known preacher in Bristol and moved in quite high society circles. It is therefore very unlikely that that Mary would have know, never mind married someone like Samuel Parker, who lived in a lawless place like Kingswood. There is also the vague possibility that her surname was spelt Holt not Hort.
I have updated the Family Tree on Ancestry several times in the past few months so there may be some new information for you. Especially look at Robert Parker's wife's family - the Stocks.
Morganale