Author Topic: BRIXHAM TOM  (Read 2377 times)

Offline mineyours+ours

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: BRIXHAM TOM
« Reply #9 on: Friday 13 September 13 07:11 BST (UK) »
Hi Janey,  Thanks for that.   The person with the private tree did very kindly come back to me and they have a photo of a memorial tablet in Mere Church for Nathanial and Mary's children, including Eleanor.  It says she is buried in the same grave as a brother 'to the south of St Leanards Church Exeter'.  Shortly after I did find her Baptism on FreeREG with parents Nathaniel and Mary included and I also found the newspaper entry for Eleanors death.
It reads - 'On Saturday morning, at Mount Radford, near Exeter, aged 22, Eleanor Sophia, eldest daughter of N.T. Still, Esq. of Deans Orchard, in the county of Wilts'. 
I'm not sure how things were written in those days but I'm thinking she could have been married?
Maybe I should link this to the Somerset board and see if anyone can find anything on the marriage entry?

Offline JaneyCanuck

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The Famous Five take tea on Parliament Hill
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 14 September 13 20:29 BST (UK) »
I would doubt that a married woman's obituary would be worded that way, even if she were estranged from her husband. It might be worth asking re Somerset records (but give the link to here for info!).

I actually come from a long line in Mere Wilts back to the beginning of records, but no Still in it that I know of. ;)
HILL, HOARE, BOND, SIBLY, Cornwall (Devon); DENNIS, PAGE, WHITBREAD, Essex; BARNARD, CASTLE, PONTON, Wiltshire; SANKEY, HORNE, YOUNG, Kent; COWDELL, Bermondsey; COOPER, SMITH, FALLOWELL, WILLEY, Notts; CAMPION, CARTER, CRADDOCK, KENNY, Northants; LITTLER, CORNER, Leicestershire; RUSHLAND, Lincolnshire; MORRISON, Ireland; COLLINS, ?; ... MONCK?

Offline mineyours+ours

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Brixham Tom and marriage to Eleanor STILL
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 15 September 13 02:35 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I'm wondering if anyone in the Somerset area can help me find my very elusive ancestor.

Thomas Deem/Deam/Deame/Dean from ?  married Mary James in Redruth, Cornwall.  They had Eleanor and another before marrying in 1853.  Censuses have him listed as pedlar, petty dealer, marine store dealer. 1851 onwards he lived in Redruth, but 1851 showed him born at Exmouth Devonshire, 1861 showed Gwennap, Cornwall, 1871 showed Middlesex, Paddington.  I haven't found the tie to Paddington neither Devonshire yet. I think Devon is showing as more of a possiblilty after I found the article about Brixham Tom.  And as mentioned previous there is the Deem family in Sidbury he could fit into but I can't find any mention of him.

Recently I found a marriage between a Thomas Deem and Eleanor Still, sojourner on 2 Feb 1829 at Hinton, St George, Somerset.  Now I know it is a bit of a long shot but Thomas and Mary's first daughter was called Eleanor (I have the birth cert and Thomas and Mary are the parents).  I am wondering if this marriage was Thomas's first (he is listed as widower on his and Mary's marriage cert and his father is listed as John Deem, labourer).   I can't find any further mention of Thomas and Eleanor after the marriage.  I have been checking out Eleanor Sophia Still in previous thread but think she is ruled out. 

Would there be anyone in the Somerset area who could view the original to see if there are witnesses?  Or who may know something of the people and area?

There is a family in Sithney, Helston, Cornwall in 1841 census who might be him,
Thomas Dean, 50, cart driver, *not born in county*, Jane, 60, and Mary, 14, *not born in county*,
and the newspaper article is 1843.  So he has gone down to Cornwall sometime prior to then. 

I think I have remembered everything so will finish for now and wait in anticipation.   M.

Offline mineyours+ours

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 15 September 13 02:45 BST (UK) »
Thanks and I will ask about Somerset record.  The more I look the name Deem seems to be the most prevalent in the Devon area and his father being John on the marriage cert does fit into the Sidbury Deems.  If only something would jump out of somewhere confirming this!  Oh well, cheers for now, M.

Offline DRH123

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Brixham Tom and marriage to Eleanor STILL
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 15 September 13 15:55 BST (UK) »

Recently I found a marriage between a Thomas Deem and Eleanor Still, sojourner on 2 Feb 1829 at Hinton St George, Somerset.  Now I know it is a bit of a long shot but Thomas and Mary's first daughter was called Eleanor (I have the birth cert and Thomas and Mary are the parents).  I am wondering if this marriage was Thomas's first (he is listed as widower on his and Mary's marriage cert and his father is listed as John Deem, labourer).   I can't find any further mention of Thomas and Eleanor after the marriage.  I have been checking out Eleanor Sophia Still in previous thread but think she is ruled out. 

Would there be anyone in the Somerset area who could view the original to see if there are witnesses?  Or who may know something of the people and area?

Hi,

I have microfiches of the HSG registers. The minister's writing is rather scrawled but it appears to say Thomas Deen Widower and Eleanor Still Sojourner. They both signed their own names, as Thomas Deom and Eloner Still. One witness is James Newick who occurs frequently and so was probably a churchwarden or similar and not a relative. The other made her mark and the name written in by the minister is not clear. First name Frances but surname Ha?? and not 100% sure of the "H". 

David

Offline JaneyCanuck

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 15 September 13 16:16 BST (UK) »
I don't think it was appropriate for a moderator to move and combine these threads. I am no fan of duplication, but people here ask about records in different counties for families all the time, and this family is known to have been in Devon, and only surmised (probably incorrectly) to have Somerset connections. ... Although of course you did not give a link to the Devon thread as I strongly suggested ...

Now that the Somerset question has been answered, maybe you can get the moderator to move it back to Devon? (I'm still interested in poking at it from time to time!)
HILL, HOARE, BOND, SIBLY, Cornwall (Devon); DENNIS, PAGE, WHITBREAD, Essex; BARNARD, CASTLE, PONTON, Wiltshire; SANKEY, HORNE, YOUNG, Kent; COWDELL, Bermondsey; COOPER, SMITH, FALLOWELL, WILLEY, Notts; CAMPION, CARTER, CRADDOCK, KENNY, Northants; LITTLER, CORNER, Leicestershire; RUSHLAND, Lincolnshire; MORRISON, Ireland; COLLINS, ?; ... MONCK?

Offline mineyours+ours

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 16 September 13 03:30 BST (UK) »
Don't know what is happening here as I did have a link to the Devon thread and also mentioned that thread had a link to the Cornwall thread in it.  And yes I was hoping to have both going because I knew the Somerset connection could be a long shot and specifically wrote that.

David, thank you very much.  I think you have ruled out this marriage and saved me further wasted time as you say Thomas signed his own name - on my marriage cert to Mary he has a cross 'his mark'. So the long shot wasn't to be.  Much appreciated David.   Cheers from M.

Offline JaneyCanuck

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 16 September 13 03:38 BST (UK) »
My mistake there -- when the moderator moved the thread they undoubtedly removed the link to the thread on the Devon board ... which no longer existed. ;)

And now here we are back again!

Offline mineyours+ours

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 16 September 13 05:50 BST (UK) »
Yep back again!  I have had another brain wave and hope this may be more fruitful. I could never figure out the Paddington, Middlesex connection but today I went googling.  What if the census enumerator wrote the wrong town down because of different dialects (associating it with Middlesex). 
I have found Puddington, Devon or even Paignton (very close to Brixham) which could have been misheard.

So now have to find a Thomas Deem with father John (labourer) in one of these places.

Once again if there is some kind person with registers for these places that would be able to look for me it would be very much appreciated. 

Cheers, M.