Author Topic: Roberts family from Llangernyw  (Read 3711 times)

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Roberts family from Llangernyw
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 18 August 13 19:51 BST (UK) »
we know they married on 1884 and we know the first child was in 1889 called Jane

That's not what they say, in their own handwriting, on the latest census?! ;D
1886/1887 is implied!

Have you checked FreeBMD for the marriage?
Or do you have the marriage certificate already?

Father's names will be on the certificate.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline SamuelJellicoe

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 01 May 19 01:17 BST (UK) »
Hi all,

The William and Margaret Williams mentioned are my 2nd great grandparents and I am having the same problem as lesleymt. I have found Census's for 1861, 1871 and 1881 which shows a Cadwaladr Roberts (b. 1813) as William's father, however I can not be sure that this is the correct William as his birthplace is Llanrwst and not Gwytherin or Llangernyw as in the 1891 census and later.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Sam

Offline wallbanger

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 02 August 23 14:17 BST (UK) »
Hi all,

The William and Margaret Williams mentioned are my 2nd great grandparents and I am having the same problem as lesleymt. I have found Census's for 1861, 1871 and 1881 which shows a Cadwaladr Roberts (b. 1813) as William's father, however I can not be sure that this is the correct William as his birthplace is Llanrwst and not Gwytherin or Llangernyw as in the 1891 census and later.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Sam

I'm about 6 years too late, but just in case you haven't got to the bottom of it, I can at least shed a bit of light on the 1901 census for Ysgoldy, Llanrwst. I actually live next door to Ysgoldy, and by checking the property names, I can tell you that this particular Ysgoldy is in Melin-y-Coed, which is addressed to Llanrwst, but is about 5 mins up the hill from Nebo Rd. Some of the censuses can be a tad misleading as to specific location, simply using the registration district, for example. Ysgoldy is welsh for school, in case you didn't know, so it's quite a common name where they have become dwellings. I will also mention that Gwytherin comes under the Llanrwst registration district, but Llanfair Talhaiarn, which it borders, is under St Asaph registration, Abergele sub-district, so they are not the easiest ones to search. Always check both.