Author Topic: Mackinder  (Read 7149 times)

Offline Rich Corless

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Mackinder
« on: Saturday 17 August 13 19:38 BST (UK) »
Hi

Just wondering if anyone here knew anything about the background of the surname Mackinder?

Some websites have it down as a Scottish surname, but as far as I can tell its pretty unique to Lincolnshire.

Does anyone know what it means?

Cheers

Rich
Paternal: Corless (London); Wyatt (Portsea); Tozer, Cloke, Binmore, Gussell (Torquay); John & Morgans (Roch Pembs); Ambury, Aston, Cooper (Forest of Dean)

Maternal: Tipping & Gardner (Gloucester); Dawe (Milton Abbot); Adams (Altarnum, Cornwall); Gibbons and Painter (Gloucestershire); Nelmes (Gloucestershire) Palmer (Sherston, Wilts); Darby & Stittle (Cambridgeshire); Mackinder (Lincolnshire); Maguire (C. Leitrim)

Offline Geoff-E

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Mackinder
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 17 August 13 20:50 BST (UK) »
Today I broke my personal record for most consecutive days alive.

Offline Rich Corless

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 17 August 13 21:08 BST (UK) »
Cheers :-)
Paternal: Corless (London); Wyatt (Portsea); Tozer, Cloke, Binmore, Gussell (Torquay); John & Morgans (Roch Pembs); Ambury, Aston, Cooper (Forest of Dean)

Maternal: Tipping & Gardner (Gloucester); Dawe (Milton Abbot); Adams (Altarnum, Cornwall); Gibbons and Painter (Gloucestershire); Nelmes (Gloucestershire) Palmer (Sherston, Wilts); Darby & Stittle (Cambridgeshire); Mackinder (Lincolnshire); Maguire (C. Leitrim)

Offline wildwitch

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 01 December 13 20:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi
yes in its spelling it originates in Lincolnshire and all other early english Mackinder's seem to originate from the Lincolnshire family (descending to be precise from Thomas Mackinder, who was a member of the clergy and can later be found near Canterbury). If you narrow all the Mackinder's down though I have yet to find any predating the early 1540s and here you can narrow them down to just 4 (Hugh of Hough, John of Hougham, William of Aubourn and Thomas), of which 3 (Thomas, Hugh and John) at least were brothers. I do have a feeling, that all 4 were related and either their recent ancestor i.e. father or grandfather or they themselves relocated from Scotland. Mackinder simply does not appear to be an english name. All Lincolnshire Mackinder's descend from Hugh, John or William.

Offline Rich Corless

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 02 December 13 22:44 GMT (UK) »
Earliest Mackinder I have on my tree is a Jacob Mackinder born in the 1540's in Lincolnshire and he died in Aubourn in 1606.

Though going back that far would they have likely been Scottish? As that would predate the Stuart Monarchy in England. Is it more likely that its just an obscure English regional surname that bears a superficial resemblence to the Scottish Mac's?

Offline Machis

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 12 December 20 21:01 GMT (UK) »
Re:  Mackinders of Aubourn.  From the original parish registers it is found that an "Unknown" Mackinder (register page damaged) married Elizabeth Cropwell. They had children Jacob (1550-1605) and Elizabeth(1551).  Jacob Married Alice (last name unknown) and they had children Artemas (1570-1624) and Robert (C.1575)
Artemas married Jane Chamberlain  and they had John, Thomas, William, James, Mary,  Dorothie, Roger (1608) and Artemis (1611)
And so the Lincolnshire story goes.  It is quite possible that the "Unknown" Mackinder who married Elizabeth was the first of that name in Lincolnshire as all families seem to be tied to the subsequent descendants.
Mackinder is an Anglicization of the Scottish name.
A Dr. D. Savage of the University of New South Wales, Australia stated in a 1987 letter "The reason for a number of Mackinders (and indeed other Highland families) in Lincolnshire is the cattle trade. The cattle droves are known to have stopped in Aubourn to fatten up the herds after their long trip and before being taken on to either Newark or London.  Many of the cattle drovers decided to settle permanently in the region."  Indeed an article in the Lincolnshire Chronicle of 9.4.1910 details the existence of an important drove route through the heart of the village of Aubourn. Sir Walter Scott in his story of The Two Drovers details a trip from Lochaber to Lincolnshire. As to the surname itself, it  is indeed ancient in various spellings but various scholars cannot agree to its origin or to which clan it is a sub-sept. Deor or Deoir (Deoradh = a pilgrim) is the equivalent of the English 'Palmer 'which also signifies 'a pilgrim'

Offline wildwitch

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 15 December 20 23:24 GMT (UK) »
That is amazing. Yes I did think they were cattle drovers too, especially since the early Aubourn Mackinders became farmers.
Where did you find the parish register? I would love to find it. I have tried Lincs to the past and cannot find a Register for Aubourn that goes that far back and only 3 BTS records before1588. It is though a few years ago since I last researched this branch. I have also tried wills and inventories. I was able to find a William Mackinder in Aubourn in a record dated 1541 (the inventory of Thomas Chamberlayn of Aubourn). Probably the same William Mackant‘r of Aubourn recently deceased left an inventory dated 1555-6 (28.11). Also the BTS records show Artemas Macant‘r baptism in 1562/3 with no mention of who his parents were. A Robert Macanter was incidentally church warden that year. Robert died in 1566. I could also find a Thomas Mackinder in records for Aubourn, who also appears to have been an adult around Artemas’s birth and still appeared in records in the 1570s.
I would love to know more. I do believe they tie in with the Mackinders of Hougham/Hough somehow, but have yet to understand how

Offline Machis

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 16 December 20 01:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi:
Researching Mackinders involved travelling to England and many hours of sitting at Lincoln Archives for some of the results.  Perhaps the early registers are no longer open to the public?? Also, very fortunate to have contact with two people (now deceased) who had researched for many years on my surname. Alice Mackinder volunteered at the Lincoln Archives and carried out many years of research. When she passed, her estate was left to Woolthorpe Manor to further their educational goals. Charles Mackinder (Edinburgh) had the information on the Scottish connections. I also have a copy of a letter from Sir Halford Mackinder exploring his knowledge of the surname. The archives provided copies of wills and inventories, the wills confirming family lines. I just recently decided to pick up this research again as there seems to be more info online now.  The cattle droving for the Aubourn area came from the West Highlands and the Loch Awe area and, although the records before 1707 are scant I don't think the drove routes changed that much. Among the wills, the earliest I have is for Artemas Oct. 3, 1624. Interesting that you have a bapt for an Artemas Macant'r in 1562/63 that I shall note

Offline Machis

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 18 December 20 00:36 GMT (UK) »
The Will of Artemas Makender.
In the name of God Amen. The third day of October 1624. I Artemas Makender of Maber in the Parish of Aubourn in the County of Lincoln, labourer, being sick in body but of good and perfect remembrance thanks be to God do make and ordain this my last Will and testament in manner and form following.
First I bequeath my soul unto the hands of my Lord God and creator and my body I commit to the earth to be buried in the Churchyard of Aubourn. Item. I give to my son Thomas Makender a red fawn and 1 heifer. Item. I give unto my son Roger Makender a heifer and a sheep dog. Item. I give unto my son James Makender a branded heifer. Item. I give unto my daughter Marie Makender and my daughter Dorothie Makender, eo either of them a yearling heifer and 10 shillings apiece in money to be paid within six months of my decease. Item. I give unto my said two daughters half my household goods unto my wife, and if my wife do marry then they shall have their portion given unto them or at the day of either of their marriages whichever shall first happen and if either of them do die before the day of their marriage that then her part shall be given to the other. Item. I give unto my son William Makender and to his son Robert Makender two yearling calves and one goat. Item. I give unto my son William my best cloak, my axe and my furbill and a leather doublet. Item. I give unto my son James my best leather doublet. I give unto my son Roger my best Jerkin and my old cloak and my best pair of britches. I give unto my son John Makender a piece (pence?) in full satisfaction of his childs portion. Item. I give unto Wilkinson a piece. Item. I give unto Edward Gibson and Robert Auxton a piece. All the residue of my goods unbequeathed I give unto Elizabeth my wife and she shall pay my debts and funeral expenses and I do make my said wife my full and sole executrix of this my last will and testament. In witness whereof I have hereunto set my hand
Artemas Makender (his mark).  Witnessed: Edward Gibson, Robert R.