Author Topic: Mackinder  (Read 7127 times)

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Mackinder
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 23 December 20 20:08 GMT (UK) »
I also note the in the Lincolnshire Archives there is a book "Long Road from Loch Awe. A Mackinder Family History". Does anyone know how I can get hold of a copy, and does it contain more substantial data on the Scottish connection? 

You can find a copy to read or download at FamilySearch:

https://www.familysearch.org/library/books/records/item/189847-long-road-from-loch-awe-a-mackinder-family-history?offset=1

I haven't read it myself, so can't answer as to its contents.
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Machis

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 23 December 20 20:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi:  Re:  Book Long Road from Loch Awe.  It was written by Jan Mackinder - a completion of her husband Phillip Mackinder's endeavour after his demise.  She lives in Australia.
Re:  Scottish connection.  I have many instances of documents as you noted going back to the 1200's

I am going to dig out all the original research over the next weeks and go back over everything.

Offline Machis

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 23 December 20 20:16 GMT (UK) »
Hey!  BaldGenie.  If Wingate of Hundleby is your 3x great grandfather he is my 3x as well and we are related!!

Offline Machis

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 23 December 20 20:21 GMT (UK) »
CORRECTION.  Book Long Road from Loch Awe was written by Jan Gregory!  I have e-mailed her to see if there are any copies available and will post here.

Offline Machis

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 27 December 20 05:40 GMT (UK) »
Heads up that LOST COUSINS is free until Twelfth Night.  If you have not heard of this web site it is run by Peter Calver and based on the entry of Census data. The subscription is only 12 pound 50 per year.  If you enter a census reference with your relatives and someone else enters the same reference the site automatically 'matches' you and sends you an e-mail and you can contact through the site. So until Twelfth night enter your data and see how many 'cousins' turn up. I have found more than several through Lost Cousins.
Good Luck

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 27 December 20 11:08 GMT (UK) »
CORRECTION.  Book Long Road from Loch Awe was written by Jan Gregory!  I have e-mailed her to see if there are any copies available and will post here.

Did you see my Reply #18 above, where I said it was available online?
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline BaldGenie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 27 December 20 18:26 GMT (UK) »
The book "Long Road from Loch Awe" is indeed available to view or download on the link provided at #18, provided you are a member of FamilySearch. Many thanks arthurk, as the book contains much fascinating information.
The book quotes Scottish genealogists and historians to support the author's belief that there were Mackinders in the Loch Awe area in the 15th century. There seems little reason to doubt this, although no hard data is provided.
The book also states that Jacob (died 14 Feb 1606), married Alice in Aubourn, Lincs, and was the father of Artemas (1570-1624) and Robert (born 1575). The book's statement that Artemas and Robert were Jacob's sons seems to come from Jacob's Will. However, given wildwitch's reading of Jacob's Will (#10), perhaps this is open to significant doubt? 

Offline wildwitch

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 28 December 20 17:20 GMT (UK) »
I have emailed Lincoln archives to see whether the elusive 16th century parish register for Aubourn is in their possession somewhere, but am yet to hear. All of the parish registers held at Lincoln archives though are allegedly recorded (and mostly scanned) on their Lincs to the Past website and can be found by entering Aubourn par1 into the search bar  - https://www.lincstothepast.com/SearchResults.aspx  - the earliest I can find on their website is 1749.

I have also not found original parish register images (not transcripts!) for Aubourn on Find my Past before 1749. You can see clearly on Find my past and Family search (unless I am searching wrongly) that there are early BTS transcripts for Aubourn only for the years 1562/3, 1565/6 and 1569/70 and then they continue annually after 1587/8. Parish registers were not kept in England until 1538 and only very few Lincolnshire parishes have surviving parish register books going back this far. Early BTS records are often incomplete and were written on sheets of parchment and submitted by each parish on an annual basis from around 1562 onwards, but many parishes did not start completing these until the 1590s. We are therefore lucky with our Aubourn records! Before 1587 therefore the only transcribed registers are for those 3 years, which would be surprising if there were a surviving parish register book in the public domain for this time period for Aubourn. The BTS for 1569/70 shows no evidence at all of a baptism for any Artemas Mackinder (this register ran from Michaelmas). I have original copies of them all.

The earliest BTS for Aubourn is 1562/3 and shows the two Mackinder baptisms (Artemas and Alice) that have been transcribed on Find my Past and Family Search. All 3 of the early Aubourn BTS records (including 1562/3) ran from Michaelmas to Michaelmas (as the original 1562 record states! 'all the names & surnames of such persons as were married, christened and buried within ye town of Auborn from the feast of St Michael the Archangel which was in the year of our lord god 1562 unto the same feast 1563'). This means that both Alice and Artemas were baptised in 1563 by our current calendar within 3 months of each other. Alice on 21.2. and a few entries later Artemas on 20.5. This means they are unlikely to be full siblings, although neither entry records the name of any parent. Unfortunately none of the marriages and burials have been transcribed for these 3 registers, but the original records in regards to this show that a Robert Macater was church warden in 1562/3 and a Robert Macat'r was buried on 25.4.1565/6. All of these original BTS records can be obtained and probably ordered in digital form from Lincoln archives, although I am not sure to what degree records can currently be ordered due to COVID and thus working regulations.

I have therefore not seen any baptism for Jacob for 1550. As previously mentioned the earliest records for any Mackinder I can find for Aubourn are for a William Mackant's, who died in 1555. The original inventory can be seen here:
https://www.lincstothepast.com/Inventory---Mackant-r--William--1555-1556--------/1384676.record?pt=S
I first seem to find this William Mackinder as one of the men who drew up Thomas Chamberlayn's inventory in Aubourn on 8.5.1541:
https://www.lincstothepast.com/Inventory---Chamberlayn--Thomas--8-May-1541--------/1076112.record?pt=S

As previously mentioned by the 1560s and 1570s there appear to have been two adult Mackinder men in Aubourn: Robert, who probably died in 1565/6 and Thomas (who may have died in 1608). There are though two other BTS entries of interest for Aubourn: 1589/90 Jane Macander was buried 27th July. Sibell Makender widow was buried the 17th April 1595. Sibell was clearly somebody's widow and could also even potentially have been Artemas's mother, but we will probably never know.

Offline wildwitch

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 28 December 20 17:21 GMT (UK) »
I have been to Lincoln archives many times and do have original copies of all the early Mackinder wills. Unfortunately I cannot publish these copies without permission of the relevant archive, since we all have to sign declarations when taking photographs of original records in England. Digital copies of all of these records though can be obtained from Lincoln Archives and I have included the order codes.

I personally do not feel that there is any definitive evidence to suggest that Artemas Mackinder was the son of Jacob Mackinder (died in 1606), although there is no evidence to say he wasn't either. I have transcribed Jacob's will below as I read it and have also listed the order code for this will (LCC Will = Lincoln Consistory Court Will). The Mackinder book mentioned above also states in regards to Jacob that: 'All his bequests were monetary, so from the will it isn't possible to learn how he lived.' As previously mentioned there is a surviving inventory for Jacob's house, which lists his possessions at time of death. The original record is online: https://www.lincstothepast.com/Inventory---Makender--Jacob--1605-1606--------/1315690.record?pt=S

Transcription of LCC Wills 1606/260 Jacob Makender of Aubourn held at Lincoln Archives:
In the name of God Amen the 29th day of May in ye yeare of our Lord 1606. I Jacob Makender of Haddingts in the pishe of Awburne & Countie of Lincoln husbandman sicke in body but whole in mynd & of good and perfect remembrance (thankes be to god) do make and ordaine this my last Will & Testament in manner & forme following: That is to say first I give & bequeth my soule into the hands of allmightie god my only maker and redeemer and my body to the earth from whence it came. Itm I give to the churche of Awburne ten shillings towards the repare of it. Itm I give to James Ruxton & to Elizabeth Ruxton children of Robt Ruxton my brother inlaw fortie shillings joyntly betwext them. Itm I give to Isbell Ruxton my sister Xs. Itm I give to Willm Gresswell my brother ten shillings. Item I give to Anthony Hewing Vs. Itm I give to Christopher Goodwine my brother ten shillings. Item I give to Elizabeth Wright my sister ten shillings. Itm I give to Elizabeth Gresswell my mother ten shillings. Itm I give to Elizabeth Brand & her sister viiis equally betwext them. Itm I give to Artemas Makender ten shillings. Itm I give to Robt Makender ten shillings. Item I give & bequeth all the rest of my goods unbequethed my Funerall Discharged my debtes & legaces payd, unto Alce Makender my wife making her my whole executrixe of this my last will & Testament. Itm I will & desire John Browne my brother in law to be overseer to see this my last will Discharged & give unto him vs for his paines thesse are witnesses
George Read
Antony Hewing
Willm Gresswell

It may therefore be interesting to look at each of the people mentioned in Jacob's will to get a better picture. This clearly shows that all of his siblings listed appear to have been fairly young people when Jacob died, which would be strange if he was born in 1550 (Artemas was probably in his 40s in 1606), also Jacob's mother (presumably birth mother?) was still alive until 1617/8, which would have made her very old indeed if Jacob had been born in 1550: