Author Topic: Storths, Moldgreen  (Read 5954 times)

Offline J.R.Ellam

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Storths, Moldgreen
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 20 August 13 08:01 BST (UK) »
Hi

Sorry didn't see this earlier.
This Storths was in-between Aspley and Moldgreen but often called Moldgreen. If you look at a modern map and look for the junction of Wakefield Road and Saint Andrews Road the part of Wakefield Road going south towards Somerset Road was Storths.

John
Ellam, Mills, Ellins
Firth, Wood, Muffitt
Hill, Mattinson, Nicholson
Morrey, Hudson, Limb

Offline ddraigcelt

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 20 August 13 15:55 BST (UK) »
Yes  I think I've seen Storths written on some old maps, thanks for that.
Parker

Offline BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 20 August 13 16:44 BST (UK) »
And just for a bit of added trivia  :D  The 1905 Ordnance Survey map for Huddersfield East (from Alan Godfrey Maps - arrived today) shows that the tramway ran down Storths until the junction with Bankfield Road, and then turned into Waterloo Wakefield Road as far as The Waterloo Inn.
Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline ddraigcelt

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 23 August 13 23:31 BST (UK) »
I have found  on the 1911 census  the address of 80 Woods Yard, Storths Moldgreen. A Mr Arthur Barden is head of the household and some of the occupants occupations are spinners. I wonder if this the address I am looking for. Can anyone find this address on an old map? Regards David
Parker

Offline BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 24 August 13 07:48 BST (UK) »
Unfortunately the small "Yards" on Storths are not named on the maps - but if you look at the Old Maps website and use the co-ordinates 415450 and 416200 you can see for yourself on any of the maps available.
Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline J.R.Ellam

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 24 August 13 15:55 BST (UK) »
Hi

Judging by it being 80 I would surmise that it would have been 80 Storths and they have added the Wood's Yard because as BumbleB said most of the yards where small and would not have gone up to 80.
To bring another of BumbleB's earlier correspondence up to date. Bankfield Road is now the bottom of Almondbury Bank, look for Tolson's Yard or School Street, Moldgreen.

John
Ellam, Mills, Ellins
Firth, Wood, Muffitt
Hill, Mattinson, Nicholson
Morrey, Hudson, Limb

Offline beaumontsleuth

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 17 December 14 06:06 GMT (UK) »
I, too, was looking for the location of Storthes, Moldgreen.  So I say a big "thank you" to BumbleB who pointed the way to www.old-maps.co.uk, the 1907 map, and located Storthes.  It is at what is now called Wakefield Road, just east of the bridge that crosses the River Colne.  Our Martha Hirst, former housekeeper to John Beaumont and mother of four of his children, lived at Almondbury Bank in the late 1800's.  She died at N˚ 115 Storthes, Moldgreen.

Beaumontsleuth

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 17 December 14 21:15 GMT (UK) »
If you you look on Street View in google maps, locate Carphone Warehouse & West mount Vets  off Wakefield road Huddersfield. there is a road at the side with a high limit bar over it by the traffic lights, and there is an old mill behind it. (Can see the mill from Wakefield road) That mill and the little road at the side of Carphone Warehouse is the Storth- also located at the East end of Ivy St   (Now blocked off) The West end of Ivy Street is now at Asda car park at Aspley

Though they have changed how old maps website works since 2013 -if you locate the 1854 map - it shows 'The Storth' at between Aspley and Moldgreen
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline beaumontsleuth

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 17 December 14 23:03 GMT (UK) »
Thank you to "dobfarm" for the excellent help in further pinpointing Storthes and Storthes Mill located behind the West Mount Vets.  So, if I understand correctly, Storthes was once a mill...but was it also a residence, too?  It seems there have been a number of individuals who report that their ancestors listed Storthes as their place of residence.

Since several seem to have Storthes as their residence when they died, would it have been an alms house or asylum for the ill or elderly?  Who might know about this?

Thank you,
Beaumontsleuth