Author Topic: Can I find out more about Duntocher death? Man falls 80 feet.  (Read 6416 times)

Offline pettsy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Can I find out more about Duntocher death? Man falls 80 feet.
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 07 September 13 13:18 BST (UK) »
Thanks Myyran, I have just bought come credits on SP.

It has on his death cert " Result of Precognition. See Reg of Corr Ents., (vol.11) page 16. 3rd June 1938
He has some nasty injuries  :'(

Thank you for the link Falkyrn.

Pettsy
Petts in Hertfordshire,Chelsea & New Zealand.<br />Swift in Islington, Chelsea &  Battersea.<br />Cox in Chelsea.<br />Carter in Chelsea.<br />Little in Westminster, London.<br />Munn & McAulay in Duntocher, Scotland.<br />
Munn New Jersey and Oz
Dwyer, McManus & Kiernan in Ireland.<br />Turner in Shrewsbury.<br />Cannon in London.<br />Porter in London.<br />Kinner in Chelsea, London.<br />Le Breton

Offline pettsy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 07 September 13 13:21 BST (UK) »
Just found this article, although it is 3 years before Andrew Munn died.

"
BOULEVARD BRIDGE, DUNTOCHER.

HC Deb 10 April 1935 vol 300 cc1146-7 1146

§ 54 and 56. Mr. KIRKWOOD
 asked the Minister of Transport (1) whether he is aware that complaints have previously 1147 been made to his Department about the dangers of the boulevard bridge at Dun-tocher, near Clydebank, and that a fatal accident occurred there on 30th March; and whether he will require a spiked iron railing to be fitted on to the parapet of the bridge, and also the Eastern approach of the bridge to be safeguarded by erecting a strong iron structure similar to that at the western end of the bridge;

(2) whether, in view of the recent accident where a man fell from the boulevard bridge at Dun-tocher, near Clydebank, and was killed, and in view of the representations already made, without result, regarding the dangers of this bridge, he will take steps to ensure that the present parapet of the bridge is heightened or fitted with a spiked iron railing, and also that the approach to the East end of the bridge is adequately protected, as the western approach to the bridge has already been?

§ Mr. HORE-BELISHA
 The fatal occurrence referred to was, I understand, caused by a man climbing on to the parapet and falling off. In the report which I have seen it is stated that a note understood to have been written by the victim and left on the parapet may throw some light on the mystery of his fall. In any event the matter is one entirely for the local authority, and I have no power whatever to intervene"
Petts in Hertfordshire,Chelsea & New Zealand.<br />Swift in Islington, Chelsea &  Battersea.<br />Cox in Chelsea.<br />Carter in Chelsea.<br />Little in Westminster, London.<br />Munn & McAulay in Duntocher, Scotland.<br />
Munn New Jersey and Oz
Dwyer, McManus & Kiernan in Ireland.<br />Turner in Shrewsbury.<br />Cannon in London.<br />Porter in London.<br />Kinner in Chelsea, London.<br />Le Breton

Offline myyran

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 07 September 13 17:12 BST (UK) »
....not surprised at injuries..mostly rock and boulders at the bottom.  Still trying to get the old photo off the Bridge to you , don't know why Roots isn't allowing, or maybe its something I'm not doing right. I'll keep trying !!
Stevenson,Wright,  Antrim, Armagh.
McGowan,McGregor, Wright, Alexandria.   Grattan, McCauley. Ireland

Offline pettsy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 07 September 13 21:28 BST (UK) »
Myyran I have tried to find some pics of the bridge myself but so far no luck  :-\

I don't remember the brigde when I visited Clydebank either.
Munn New Jersey and Oz

Offline myyran

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 09 September 13 00:30 BST (UK) »
Hi Pettsy,  Just been on the ww1 site on Rootschat...seems like the only Munn they could find was  a James Munn army Royal Scots  (27) died Flanders France...6/11/18,  and Walter Munn... Army,  Died Dandanelles 3/1/1916.    James, John, Thomas seem to run in the Munn family .. Walter I'm not so sure. Good luck with your search.
Myyran.

Offline pettsy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 09 September 13 18:41 BST (UK) »
Hi again Myyran,

My Great Grandfather Andrew Brown McAulay Munn was killed in WW1 along with four of his brother Daniel, James, John and Walter.

I am still trying to find a link, the Andrew Munn who fell to his death lived down New Street Duntocher where my Andrew Munn lived too at one point too.

Pettsy
Munn New Jersey and Oz

Offline pettsy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 09 September 13 18:43 BST (UK) »
Here they are Myyran, a whole generation lost  :'(

Andrew Munn Royal Engineer. Pioneer 49202. Died of wounds 16th/9/1915. France

Walter Munn. K.O.S.B. Pte 18121. Killed in Action. 3rd/1/1916. Dardenells.

James Munn. L/CPL S/10422. Black watch (Royal Highlanders) Killed in Action 15th/7/1916. France.

Daniel Munn. Pte 33769. Highland Light Infantry. Died of wounds 30/10/1918. Mesopotamia.

John Munn L/CPL S/29861 Cameron Highlanders. Died 20/8/1917.
Tyne Cot Memorial (Belgium)
Munn New Jersey and Oz

Offline myyran

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 10 September 13 13:07 BST (UK) »
Hi Pettsy, This is so very sad, can' t imagine any mother going through that great loss.  I'm going to try again with the old photo... here goes hope it works.
Myyren.

Offline myyran

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 10 September 13 13:47 BST (UK) »
...got it,  if you look to the right hand of the photo where the car is passing you will see the white parapet of the Bridge. On either side is embankments, to hit the water he would have walked  to the middle of the Bridge. To the left is the lane they called Gentle Row where he would have walked down..  it Joined Old Street /New Street where the Munns lived. Hopefully I'll be able to post Photo of 'Geenie Hoose' ...locals used to say it was haunted ,hence the name.  It stood at the top of Gentle Row . As I've said it connected Old/New Street.  Hope this all helps.
Myyran.