Author Topic: any bastardy records for Great Berkhamstead 1839? SAUNDERS  (Read 3748 times)

Offline allystree

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
any bastardy records for Great Berkhamstead 1839? SAUNDERS
« on: Monday 19 August 13 16:19 BST (UK) »
Lucy Theresa SAUNDERS was born 28 Nov 1839 at Great Berkhamstead, the illegitimate daughter of Theresa Jane SAUNDERS.
I don't know where Lucy was christened, her birth cert just states Great Berkhamstead.

I think she is in the 1841 census as Fanny Saunders, with her mother as Jane, a grocer (Theresa Janes father was a grocer) living with a Mrs Stacey, schoolteacher: High st, Great Berkhamstead.

They are at the Watford Workhouse in 1851, Theresa Jane TURNER with her husband Henry Turner, and Lucy Theresa SAUNDERS pages later, a pauper. The workhouse would have wanted to  know who her father was wouldn't it?

The Turner family emmigrated to Australia in 1852.
When Lucy married in Australia in 1861 she gave her father as William SUTTON, stockbroker.
The only WS I can find living in Great Berkhamstead in 1841 is William Henry SUTTON, of Rossway Farm, Northchurch; in 1841 independent; 1851 a Land proprietor; in 1861 a landholder and at his death- esquire. Sounds like a man who could have been a stockbroker..

Are there any records of Bastardy cases of the day, can anyone suggest where I should look?.

Alison

Offline Maddie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: any bastardy records for Great Berkhamstead 1839? SAUNDERS
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 20 August 13 23:22 BST (UK) »
Hi Alison

I don't know if this will be any help but you could try contacting HALS http://www.hertsdirect.org/services/leisculture/heritage1/hals/

They may have records for Bastardy Bonds & possibly the records for Watford Workhouse. I may be wrong but I don't think the Workhouse would be concerned about who your Lucy's father was.

The William Henry Sutton you have found does look like a good contender providing Lucy didn't make up the name of her father at her marriage, it would be one heck of a coincidence if she did as he is in the right area at the right time. :)

As he left a Will when he died it might be worth considering getting a copy although there still may be nothing in it to confirm Lucy's parentage. :-\

Hopefully HALS will be able to help you further.

Maddie

Beament, Hertfordshire, Middlesex, Canada, USA.
Brown, Herts & Berkshire
Hester, Oxfordshire
Wise, Berkshire
Dwight, Buckinghamshire
Warrell/Worrel, Bucks & Herts
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline allystree

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 22 August 13 14:27 BST (UK) »
Thank you for the link Maddie.

I have obtained the will of William Suttons father which was proved in 1848. As Lucys mother married Henry Turner in 1849 I thought there might be some reference in that particular will in 1848. The will is 12 pages long and I am finding it extremely difficult to decipher the handwriting.

I did think that the workhouses wanted to know about the fathers of illegitimate children so they could attempt to obtain some contribution for their upkeep, hence the bastardry records.
I will contact HALS to see whats available before looking at obtaining Williams will from 1870.

Alison

Offline Maddie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 23 August 13 14:21 BST (UK) »
Hi Alison

I know what you mean about trying to decipher old Wills. :) I have tried going through newspapers to see if there were any summons for a William Sutton to pay for the upkeep of an illegitimate child but unfortunately without any success.

Hope you have more luck with HALS.

Maddie
Beament, Hertfordshire, Middlesex, Canada, USA.
Brown, Herts & Berkshire
Hester, Oxfordshire
Wise, Berkshire
Dwight, Buckinghamshire
Warrell/Worrel, Bucks & Herts
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk