Author Topic: ww1 missing in action  (Read 10155 times)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: ww1 missing in action
« Reply #9 on: Friday 23 August 13 13:08 BST (UK) »
A few questions to clarify things for those of us reading this topic-

1) you say 'missing in action' but where does that information come from? official report? newspaper? family story?

2) why do you think he died? does family say 'Hugh died in the War'? or do you think 'missing in action' leads to 'killed in action'?
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline 5th in line

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 23 August 13 13:19 BST (UK) »
Hi all. i certainly dont have any documentation.  all from family stories.  have checked scotlands people web site for deaths but not found.  always understood from older generation that he was missing in action presumed dead.  dont imagine that any of this too helpful. thanks

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 23 August 13 13:32 BST (UK) »
There are basically two types of WWI soldiers- those killed and those who survived. Dead ones much easier to trace as there is often lots of evidence to be found (CWGC database, rolls of honor- church, school, etc.- newspaper announcements, etc.). Those who survive are more difficult- post-War census not available if they stayed in U.K., common names mean can be difficult to find in Medal cards or death index, etc.

A few ideas- any photographs amongst the family (even distant connections) showing Hugh in uniform? (experts here could likely tell a fair bit about his regiment)
are you near local newspaper archives? (local to where High's family lived that is) means lots of trawling through lots
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline 5th in line

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 23 August 13 13:48 BST (UK) »
the archives of govan press (local paper) are with mitchell library glasgow but not on line.  not sure how best to research this with no known dates.  would this mean checking all the way thru from 14 to 18? sounds like a massive job or are there any shortcuts

Offline 5th in line

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 23 August 13 13:57 BST (UK) »
sorry, should have said that there are no known photographs.

Offline IMBER

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 24 August 13 09:00 BST (UK) »
As regards your query about the In From the Cold project they would have to know who it is that you propose bringing in from the cold. You can't claim he hasn't been commemorated without first providing hard evidence that he actually served.

Imber
Skewis (Wales and Scotland), Ayers (Maidenhead, Berkshire), Hildreth (Berkshire)

Offline IMBER

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 24 August 13 09:03 BST (UK) »
Have you checked to see if any of the family have his medals? His details would be on those.

Imber
Skewis (Wales and Scotland), Ayers (Maidenhead, Berkshire), Hildreth (Berkshire)

Offline 5th in line

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 24 August 13 09:13 BST (UK) »
Thanks Imber for info on "in from the cold" that would probably explain "silence". I am unaware of medal whereabouts - family are pretty well fragmented.  Over the next couple of weeks I intend to visit govan library (they have a local history section) and glasgow mitchell library newspaper archives.

Offline lizzieb16

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 05 August 14 21:36 BST (UK) »
Hi, just noticed your post about Hugh Fraser. I was the person researching him in 2007. Hugh Fraser who was born in Govan, Glasgow in 1890 to Donald Fraser & Catherine McFarlane Adam, was related to my husband's family. Hugh's sister, Catherine, was my husband's grandmother. My Father-in-Law was named after Hugh Fraser, and the name Fraser has continued right the way down the line to my eldest son. Hugh Fraser was killed in France on 19th May 1918 and is buried in Houchin Cemetery in northern France. Don't know if this information is of any use to you, or even whether he is 'your' Hugh Fraser that you're looking for. We even have a photograph of Hugh on his horse ready for war which he sent to his family prior to going off to fight. Let me know if I can be of any help.