Author Topic: John Dunne b. 1815 Poulacapple, d. 1892 relationship to Margaret Dunne Brennan?  (Read 7504 times)

Offline LHD

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Looking for parents name and or siblings of John Dunne born 1815 Poulacapple. He was a school master (Ormonde school), Gaelic Poet, and Folklorist. He and my great great grandfather James Brennan, also a school teacher, wrote articles for the Kilkenny  Archaeological Society Journal.  James Brennan (1810-1865)  married Margaret Dunne 27 Feb 1840 Parish of Drangan. Margaret's parents were James Dunne and Judith Smith. Margaret was baptized 29 May 1814 (Drangan/Cloneen Parish). James and Margaret lived in Ballyculllin. After James died Margaret and her sons left and settled in PA. Were John and Margaret siblings?  Also looking for information about Thomas (1818) and Patrick (1819) Dunne possible brothers of Margaret.  Thomas Dunne married Mary Phalen (1820-1884) before they left Ireland (~1850). Thanks.
LHD

Offline annclare

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: John Dunne b. 1815 Poulacapple, d. 1892 relationship to Margaret Dunne Brennan?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 11 November 13 21:29 GMT (UK) »
Its been a while since your posting - and you may have got more information by now. While  I was waiting for someone to finish with a microfilm in the NLI  I looked at the Dangan parish records . I was surprised to find that the baptismal entry for 29 May 1814 was for a Jas. (James) of Jno(John) Dunne and Judith Smith Sp. Jas Condon Cath. Neil and not for Margaret as per your posting. I looked at the records from 1811 to 1820 and did not find any other entry for a child of this couple.
Other Dunne records for that period were
23 Dec 1812 Pat of Denis Dunne and Mary Boyle
18 Jan 1813 Mary of Nichl. Dunn and Mary Neill
11 May 1813 Mgt of Edm. dunn & Joanna Daniel
24 Feb? not sure about the month 1814
Mary of Pat Dunn & Ellen Phelan
26 Jul 1816
Cath of Patk Dunn & Ellen Ellen Phelan
June 13 1820 Ann of Jno Dwyer and Judith Smith.
Nothing found for siblings Thomas and Patrick.
I realise that none of this info helps with your query but wonder as to the source of your details for Margaret who married James Brennan.
If John Dunne was born in Poulacapple its possible his baptismal record is in Mullinahone parish - when I have some time will look to see if I can find anything there.
annclare

Kerrisk, Healy, McGuire, Duggan - Kerry and US
Tuohy/Toohey,Gorman, Purcell, Fanning- Holycross Tipperary

Offline LHD

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: John Dunne b. 1815 Poulacapple, d. 1892 relationship to Margaret Dunne Brennan?
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 13 November 13 04:07 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for taking the time to look for the information and also post it. I have a baptism record from the Tipperary Family Center for James which matches your information and for some of the other children of John Dunne and Judith Smith:
Margaret Dunne  6 June 1815 (date error in my original post) sponsors Smyth, Patrick and O'Dwyer, Catherine
Ann Dunne 8 Aug 1822 sp. Anglim(?), Patrick and Duggan, Cath
John Dunne 12 April 1824 sp. O'Carroll, Thomas and O'Dwyer, Ellen
CNU Dunne 16 Oct 1829 sp. ? and Quirke, Anty?
St. Mary's Parish McKean County, PA records note that Thomas Dunne's two nephews were Bishop Thomas and Father James Brennan who were the sons of Margaret Dunne and James Brennan.  I don't have baptism records for Patrick or Thomas but there is a gap in births between Margaret and Anne. Several of the Dunne's listed above are sponsors for James Brennan and Margaret Dunne's children. Information about James Brennan in my next reply.

Offline LHD

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 13 November 13 05:27 GMT (UK) »
I have a variety of sources for James Brennan and Margaret Dunne including their marriage record:
Parish of Drangan, 27 Feb 1840, Register 1840/052, Groom: James Brennan  Bride: Margaret Dunne, Witness: Dwyer, Ann
I also have baptism record for their 5 sons: Michael, John and Patrick baptismal records Parish of  Drangan/Cloneen and James and Thomas baptismal records Parish of Mullinahone. Sponsors included Nancy Dunne, Thomas Dunne, Margaret Phalen, and Skeehan, Ellen, Edmond and Denis.
A letter and report by Michael Larkin done for my cousin includes articles from the Mullinahone Magazine about the James Brennan/Margaret Dunne Family and speculates about her relationship to John Dunne. Other sources includes a summary of an article from the Nationalists (1932) by James Maher (not the original). According to http://www.ainm.ie/Bio.aspx?ID=326, John Dunne was born in 1815 at Garryrickin, Kilkenny and died 30 Sept 1892. John Dunne is buried in Killamery graveyard. Be glad to share copies of the sources if you are interested.

Offline annclare

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 19 November 13 21:13 GMT (UK) »
LHD
I got back to look at the microfilms of the parish records today.
Despite doing a very careful search I could not find the baptismal record for Margaret Dunn/Dunne 6 Jun 1815 in Drangan parish records. I did find all the other baptisms that you have posted for the children of John Dunne and Judith Smith -Ann 1822 John 1824  and unknown child  1829 (some of the register page is missing)
I realise you have researched this family in detail but find it puzzling that I found no record of Margaret. Also if you have definitive  proof that Margaret is the daughter of John Dunne and Judith Smith - it would seem as she had a younger brother John b. 1824 that the John  Dunne born in 1815 in Garryrickin cannot be her sibling but it is possible they could be related through an earlier generation e.g. first cousins etc. but this would be almost impossible to prove definitively as Garryrickin is in Killamery civil parish and  Windgap R.C. parish and these records only start in 1822.  I did look at the Mullinahone register for a possible birth of John Dunn c. 1815 just in case he was born in Poulacapple.
There wer a number born to different Dunn/Dunne families.
15 Jun 1813 John Dunn Parents John Dunne & Cath Meagher of Poulacapple Sprs Ml Dunn & Bridget Byrne
27 Jun 1813 John Dunne parents John Dunne and Mary Houghney Sprs John Kennedy Mary Lawrence
13 Dec 1813 John Dunne parents Thos Dunne and Margt. Minogue. Sprs John Cahill & Mary Byrne
8 Jun 1815 John Dunne parents John Dunne & Mgt Egan Sprs Ml Meagher & Winifred Comerford.
However I don't think any of this information will be helpful.
Regards
annclare

Kerrisk, Healy, McGuire, Duggan - Kerry and US
Tuohy/Toohey,Gorman, Purcell, Fanning- Holycross Tipperary

Offline kim_sully

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 30 October 21 17:33 BST (UK) »
I am looking to find the relationship between James and Margaret (Dunne) Brennan and my Great Great Grandparents Michael and Johanna (Bowe) Sullivan. I have found baptismal records for all of their children in parish records of the Diocese: Cashel and Emly , Mullinahone, Tipperary.
Michael and Johanna's son Patrick Thomas Sullivan (my Great Grandfather) immigrated to the US. In his obituary and a bibliography it states that he came with his cousin James Brennan (James & Margaret's son) and located at Driftwood for a while, before moving to DuBois, Pennsylvania, USA. I have tons of information on both my Great grandfather and James Brennan (the founding priest of St. Catherine's of Sienna Catholic church in DuBois) but I have not found the relationship. If I have any information on James and Margaret's family that you do not I am glad to share. I have quite a bit on James and his brother Bishop Thomas Francis from the Diocese of Erie, Pennsylvania, USA. Hoping to connect! Thanks, Kim