Author Topic: The name "Thirlow" or Thurlow Fraser  (Read 24325 times)

Offline Garthkh

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: The name "Thirlow" or Thurlow Fraser
« Reply #72 on: Monday 24 October 22 11:21 BST (UK) »

[/quote]Because what you have got is from Ancestry.
That is not the census. It's transcription of the census, and a typical example of the poor transcriptions for which Ancestry is notorious.
Though it's actually not surprising they got it wrong as it's very hard to read the original.
[/quote]

Thanks for this.  I'll pass it on to our cousin who sent the record.  I thought it had come from Scotlands People. As you say, it's a bad transcript of the actual certificate. Knowing it's Thurlow one can just make out the correct names in that poor quality.

Offline flst

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: Monday 24 October 22 23:50 BST (UK) »
Freecen is a useful website. It is free to use, although the coverage is not complete. I had a quick look for Thirlow & found him easily enough. It states his occupation as a miller journeyman. Scotlandspeople is still the place to go to see the original census & not a transcript.  https://freecen1.freecen.org.uk/
flst
TAYLOR, COBBAN, SCOTT, PATERSON, BARCLAY,  DUNCAN, SKENE, SIM, WOOD, STEPHEN, ROSE,  CUMINE, MORISON, GERRARD, PYPER, ANDERSON,  FARQUHAR, BURNET, THOMSON, DAVIDSON, BIRNIE,  STRACHAN, DEY, GERRIE, ROBERTSON, FINNIE, WYLLIE,STEPHEN,WILLOX,MICHIE,MARR,BRUCE, CLUBB,SLESSOR,CLARK, SIMPSON,HEPBURN,SINCLAIR,BEEDIE,FOWLIE, CLYNE,FINDLATER, JOHNSTON,BROCKIE,PARK, WATT,MACKIE,WALKER,YEATS,THIRD, BURD,EWAN,ARTHUR,AUCKLAND, MURDOCH,LOW, IRVINE,CHALMERS,BOYES, LYON,SMITH,ADIE, WATSON - ALL N.E.SCOTLAND.

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: Tuesday 25 October 22 10:33 BST (UK) »
I agree, and FreeCEN has much better transcriptions than the commercial web sites because they are double-transcribed by people who are usually familiar with the area they are transcribing.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Jennyfrazer57

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: Wednesday 26 October 22 15:40 BST (UK) »
Do you have a link I can click on to find the 1871 census record for Thirlow Fraser on Scotlands People please?  I have searched using a variety of combinations and every census year, except 1871, comes up.

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: Wednesday 26 October 22 22:27 BST (UK) »
This is the 1871 on Freecen
https://www.freecen.org.uk/search_records/59026e98e9379091b1ea9bfc/thirlow-fraser-1871-aberdeenshire-new-pitsligo-1827-?locale=en

The reference on Scotlands People is 227/B 3/20 NewPitsligo.
That is through searching the son aged 7, who is indexed under the name “Shirton”. Then I checked others in the family against the same reference number. (Thurlow senior is also indexed under "Shirton".)
Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Clark – Faulds – Cuthbertson – Bryson – Wilson: (Ayrshire & Renfrewshire)
Neale – Cater – Kinder - Harrison: (Warwickshire & Queensland)
Roberts - Spry: (Cornwall, Middlesex & Queensland)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: Wednesday 26 October 22 22:50 BST (UK) »
I've told SP that it's wrongly transcribed in their index, and they have said that it will be corrected, but sometimes corrections take a wee while. They'll also re-scan the page in the hope of making it more legible.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Garthkh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: Thursday 27 October 22 07:06 BST (UK) »
A re-scan of the image would be great, if they can improve it.

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: Thursday 27 October 22 07:07 BST (UK) »
Anyone can contact SP directly and request a better scan.
Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Clark – Faulds – Cuthbertson – Bryson – Wilson: (Ayrshire & Renfrewshire)
Neale – Cater – Kinder - Harrison: (Warwickshire & Queensland)
Roberts - Spry: (Cornwall, Middlesex & Queensland)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: Thursday 27 October 22 09:05 BST (UK) »
I have just received the re-scanned image. PM me if you want a copy.