Author Topic: Deciphering death certificate 1897.  (Read 2761 times)

Offline Louie13

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Deciphering death certificate 1897.
« on: Sunday 25 August 13 14:43 BST (UK) »
Hi,

The 1891 census confirms family folklore that my gg grandfather was born in Malta although he lived in Greenock, Scotland. Until I uncovered his death certificate I had no further information. Sadly I can not read his mothers maiden name. On the same census his occupation is seaman, like his father and his partner Mary Doherty's father John Docherty - Seaman: Merchant services. (I say partner because I have not managed to uncover a marriage certificate) It is entirely possible that his parents just happened to be in Malta at the time of his birth so essentially his mothers could be from anywhere. There is however another little bit of lore in our family - seemingly we have an ancestor who was a paymaster at the Battle of Waterloo. I am not saying it was Francis or his father but it seems feasible that there could be a connection if they were all floating around the sea around that time. Although Francis was born in the 1850s so that is a little bit shy of 1815. I really appreciate any assistance offered. Lou

Online GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Deciphering death certificate 1897.
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 25 August 13 15:11 BST (UK) »
Carmyle Jettrit. I put Jettrit into the search engine and some people with that surname come up, so it does exist  :).

Offline sami

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Grannie M
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 25 August 13 15:50 BST (UK) »
Carmyle Jettrit. I put Jettrit into the search engine and some people with that surname come up, so it does exist  :).

I agree with Jettrit.

The 'J' is quite similar to the way the 'J' in the Registrar's name - W. Johnston - is written. Although it doesn't look much like the 'J' in John Bennett.

But it also looks very much like the 'I' in Infarction  :-\

sami
England:  Archer, Bailey, Bates, Blower, Bosworth, Court, Hicklin, Orton, Palmer, Robbins, Sedgwick, Smith, Stevenson, Stone, Varnam, Wakelin, Walker
Canada:  Archer, Walker, Spencer, Shepherd
Australia:  Taplin
South Africa:  Risley

Offline Louie13

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 25 August 13 20:27 BST (UK) »
I thought Jettril or Jettrit when I first looked. Then I started trying to sub the J for something else. Thank you both for taking the time to look  :)

Offline Louie13

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 01 September 13 19:36 BST (UK) »
I finally found a marriage certificate for Francis and Mary. His mothers maiden name looks like it ends with a K on this one.... maybe :D

Offline Polldoll

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Counting my Blessings...not the years!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 04 September 13 16:06 BST (UK) »
I think  you are seeing the first bracket prior to the word (deceased) when you imagine the name ends in "k".... :-\
Reynolds Johnson Chapman Goodyear Wright   Demmon Maddison Jackson Bush Lingard<br />Lincolnshire Northants,Essex.   Soutar  McKenzie Stuart Watt Banff, Coupar Angus, Glen Livet, Broughty Ferry, Coatbridge, Airdrie Lanarkshire and Saskatchewan, Hamilton Wentworth, Canada. Phillips. Coyne- March Cambs, Islington,Hackney 1st Lincolnshire Regt 1914

Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 04 September 13 16:53 BST (UK) »
Allowing for the bracket I think it could end in "K" too...Jettrik?
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Louie13

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 04 September 13 17:02 BST (UK) »
I think I need to try and find some immigration records and records in Malta. I haven't come up with anything yet but I will keep you posted. Thanks for the help :)

Offline Billyblue

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 05 September 13 10:52 BST (UK) »
I'd say Jettrit too.

Look at the end of Street & Bennet - it looks like this, and  not like end of Greenock

Dawn M
Denys (France); Rossier/Rousseau (Switzerland); Montgomery (Antrim, IRL & North Sydney NSW);  Finn (Co.Carlow, IRL & NSW); Wilson (Leicestershire & NSW); Blue (Sydney NSW); Fisher & Barrago & Harrington(all Tipperary, IRL)