Author Topic: Wright Buckinghamshire  (Read 9532 times)

Offline flateric999

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Wright Buckinghamshire
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 03 September 13 21:17 BST (UK) »
Well, my "money" is on Charles Wright and Ruth Turner marrying in Stoke Goldington. The date of the other marriage is Oct 1747 while there first Child, Mary is born in March. It would not be common place to get married after the birth of your first child.

Mike

Offline flateric999

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 04 September 13 15:11 BST (UK) »
Well, trawled through bishops transcripts for Astwood/Hardmead and the John Burial is not there. Neither is a John birth the year after so the data on familysearch is wrong. Curious though that the burial is hand written on the original parish record?

It was useful exercise however as it confirms a lot of the other data is correct. As there are no other John Wright's born in Astwood then it remains most likely this is Charles and Ann's son, and he didn't die.

Charles Marries Ruth Turner, not Ruth Hull. I suspect Charles/Ruth Hull are from Elsewhere in Bucks with there offspring but looking at the names of Wright births of the right timescale today, there are no "extras" i didnt already have info in.

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 04 September 13 16:04 BST (UK) »
Well, my "money" is on Charles Wright and Ruth Turner marrying in Stoke Goldington. The date of the other marriage is Oct 1747 while there first Child, Mary is born in March. It would not be common place to get married after the birth of your first child.

Mike

Sorry while I don't disagree that many did get married after the first child, the chance of a 15 year old marrying a 16 year old after the event is highly unlikely as the parents would have been more than likely insistent on it happening before the avent to save face in the village.

But then it would be very, very rare to get both parties under the age of 18 marrying at that time, I'm sorry but I agree with JohnP, the wife of Charles Wright of Hardmead is more than likely to be the Ruth Hull of Hardmead who married Charles Wright at Clifton Reynes.  And I'd be surprised if the Stoke Goldington Charles was the one who married in Clifton Reynes.

As per my comments on your other posting - http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=660158.msg5058231#msg5058231 - you really need to see all Wrights in the county because as you said yourself it's difficult to work out who is who when there are so many.  Without a much wider picture, I don't really think you can confidentally say who is who.
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline johnP-bedford

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 04 September 13 16:36 BST (UK) »
Charles Marries Ruth Turner, not Ruth Hull.

Mike,   where & when is this marriage of Charles Wright to Ruth Turner ?

Also How can you verify that the children baptised at Hardmead to a Charles & Ruth Wright are from Charles & Ruth Hull or from Charles & Ruth Turner

Have you checked for children of Charles W & Ruth Hull baptised at Clifton Reynes or any where else for that matter, so that these can be ruled out perhaps
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Partridge - North Beds; Northants & Peterborough
Bishop - Bedford; Hunts, Hemingford Grey
Allen - Hunts, Hemingford Abbotts
Clement - Croydon
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline flateric999

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 04 September 13 17:34 BST (UK) »
Ruth/Charles marriage was taken direct from the parish records for Stoke Goldington. Is 15/16 really that young to marry in 1746? Maybe. Then this is why i joined rootschat, so that your ideas can be challenged and explored.

The Stoke Goldington link was suggested by my Uncle who has conducted the same research. We both came to the same conclusion. When i check with dates of birth i knew it could be followed back to Charles and Ruth.

Now, is it a different Charles and Ruth? Yes it could be! but with the data fro this thread i can dig a little and see what i find. In my trawl of Bishops transcripts today, i could only find the births i had already found, attributed to Charles and Ruth. Does this prove anything? No. But then if all this ancestry stuff was easy, it wouldnt be as interesting would it??

Mike

Offline flateric999

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 04 September 13 18:23 BST (UK) »
John,

My methodology was this;

Take 1840 cencus and record each occurance of Wright in Astwood. Search for the oldest occurances on Familysearch.

This resulted in a similar list of names, essentially, the parents of these individuals. This also proves they where descended from one couple, a Charles and Ruth. When i searched for Charles i only found one likely candidate, from Stoke Goldington. Now of course i need to search for this new Charles and his wife, who at present i cant find with my usual methods.

Offline flateric999

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 05 September 13 09:41 BST (UK) »
There is a Ruth Hull referenced here.

13 May 1744 Anne, bastard child born of ye body of Ruth Hull, bap. Bur. 16 May
Book:   March Buried (Burial)
Collection:   Buckinghamshire: Little Woolstone - Parish Registers, 1596-1813

This is feasable and there is an ancestry tree that puts relatives in nearby villages.

Offline flateric999

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 14 September 13 18:35 BST (UK) »
Right, on advice i got a list of all marriages in Bucks in the window of 1700-1750. While it shows a marriage between a Charles and Ruth Hull, it doesnt actually say where Charles came from so i'm no further forward.

I can't find a Charles Wright of the right age born anywhere else other than Stoke Goldington to John and Pheobe. 

I know Ruth Turner existed, "England Births and Christenings, 1538-1975," index, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/N5NB-13J : accessed 14 Sep 2013), Ruth Turner, 15 Oct 1732. but despite trawling the records in MK library for hours last week, have not found again the marriage i thought i found before. Its also not appearing with on line searches. Ruth Turner, if she and  Charles are correct, would have been 15 when pregnant with there first child. Possible i guess.

"England Births and Christenings, 1538-1975," index, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/N5NL-2YM : accessed 14 Sep 2013), Ruth Hull, 25 Dec 1722. Ruth Hull, our other candidate would have her first child in 1747 aged 28 and her last in 1765 aged 43.

The 9 year age gap between Charles 1731 and Ruth 1722 concerns me a little but its still possible.

So still no further forward with this.

Mike

Offline flateric999

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 15 September 13 22:34 BST (UK) »
ok so an update. it looks like a Charles was born about 1725 in goldigton That age fits better with question is,  Ruth Hull. So the next question is. Is there another Charles Wright?