Author Topic: Martha Ann Hatto  (Read 5912 times)

Offline ribbo39

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Martha Ann Hatto
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 29 August 13 07:53 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Taken from the Chilton transcripts (ex Oxford FHS) is this marriage;

29-7-1840 William Hatto 21, b, Chilton, Labr, father; William Hatto, Labr    to
                 Martha King, 15, sp, Chilton, poor woman, father; William King, Labr
wits; Adam Welch, George Wigley

also this burial;
30-6-1850 William Hatto, aged 31

I think these will confirm what "Pels" has already listed and may save you some money.

Alan
Browse, Peggs, Revans/Revance/Ribbans, Spall,   in Suffolk/Norfolk
Belcher, Elderfield, Froude, Saunders,  Stimson, Tame,   in Berks
Artis, Gray in Norfolk

Offline Pels.

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 29 August 13 08:16 BST (UK) »

I'll say thanks for that as well, Alan.

It's always good to know you aren't wrong. :) :)

Would you think this could be the burial for young Joseph :

Burial, 25th January 1915
Joseph Hatto
Aged :74 years
St Mary's, Beenham
Berkshire

He was in the workhouse in 1851.

Later returns claim he was living in Beenham.

Pels.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ribbo39

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 29 August 13 08:47 BST (UK) »
Hi Pels'

Well -  I can't say its the same person but I'm certain it  could be,  as there was a
Joseph Hatto baptised Chilton 13-11-1840 s/o William & Martha.

Also it looks like Martha  Hatto remarried in 1861;
5-8-1861 Thomas Wetheral, fa, b, Chilton, Labr father; William Wetherall, Labr  to
               Martha Hatto, fa, w(idow), Chilton, father William King, Labr
wits; Richard Hall, George Wigley

More money saved for curtisd.!!

Hope it helps

Alan
Edited; corrected year (1861)
Artis, Gray in Norfolk

Offline Eyesee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 29 August 13 08:49 BST (UK) »
Just about to post the same thing but Alan beat me to it. Though should be 1861 not 51.

Ian C
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Eyesee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 29 August 13 08:58 BST (UK) »
Chilton
1843 Jul 16, Mary Ann, d/o William & Martha HATTO, Chilton, labourer
1844 May 12, William, s/o ditto - buried 13 May 1844 aged 2 days
1847 Mar 28, Sarah Jane, d/o ditto

Ian C
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ribbo39

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 29 August 13 09:18 BST (UK) »
Thanks Ian,

My eyesight is mis-reading the small print!!

Have corrected the year.

Alan
Artis, Gray in Norfolk

Offline curtisd

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 29 August 13 10:09 BST (UK) »
Thanks everyone for your help!

Offline Richard A Smith

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 20 February 18 10:22 GMT (UK) »
I've no idea whether anyone who posted to this thread is still following it, and if so whether they remain interested in the family.  But I thought I'd send a short follow-up in case.

Joseph HATTO, mentioned earlier in this thread, was my great great grandfather.  According to his birth certificate, he was born at 3pm on 22 Sept 1840 in Chilton, son of William HATTO and Martha HATTO née KING.  William and Martha's marriage at Chilton on 29 Jul 1840 has already been reported, as has Martha's baptism at Chilton on 24 Oct 1824, daughter of William and Ann KING.  These five (Joseph, William and Martha HATTO, and William and Ann KING)  are living together on the 1841 census.

But then Ann KING died (bur 4 Apr 1843 at Chilton, aged 50), followed by William HATTO (buried 30 Jun 1850 at Chilton, aged 31).  William KING remarried at Chilton on 27 Dec 1849 to a Janet FORTUNE (from Berwickshire according to the 1851 census).  This marriage record tells us William KING's father was also named William KING, and the 1851 census says he was from Chilton, but the OFHS transcript has no suitable baptism.  On the 1851 census, Joseph was in the union workhouse at Wantage.  Martha was living by herself in Chilton, however the following year on 18 May 1852, Martha gave birth to an illegitimate daughter in the union workhouse; this daughter died there on 10 Jun 1852 seemingly never having been named.

Martha HATTO remarried at Chilton on 5 Aug 1861 to Thomas WETHERALL, son of William WETHERALL.  Thomas had been baptised 26 May 1839, his parents given as William Collins and Elizabeth WITHERELL.  (Collins is a middle name.)  Martha was buried at Chilton on 20 Dec 1899, aged 75.  I'm not aware that Thomas and Martha had any children, and none are listed on the 1871 or 1881 census.

William HATTO must have been born about 1819 based on him being 21 when he married in 1840 and 31 when he died in 1850.  According to his marriage record, he was from Chilton and his father was also named William HATTO.  In fact, five children of William HATTO were married at Chilton between 1838 and 1841, and four of them correspond to baptisms in the Chilton register for children of William and Sarah.  However there is no baptism of a William in around 1819, nor is there any record of William and Sarah having a son baptised named William, though there is a gap in their children's baptisms between 1817 and 1823.  The parish register and census both suggest there was only one William in Chilton of a suitable age to be father of a child in 1819, so I think it almost certain therefore that Martha's husband William is a child of William and Sarah HATTO.  Maybe he was baptised elsewhere, or was baptised there but the clerk forgot to write it up; or maybe even they forgot to have him baptised.

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 07 May 18 13:10 BST (UK) »
William HATTO must have been born about 1819 based on him being 21 when he married in 1840 and 31 when he died in 1850.  According to his marriage record, he was from Chilton and his father was also named William HATTO.  In fact, five children of William HATTO were married at Chilton between 1838 and 1841, and four of them correspond to baptisms in the Chilton register for children of William and Sarah.  However there is no baptism of a William in around 1819, nor is there any record of William and Sarah having a son baptised named William, though there is a gap in their children's baptisms between 1817 and 1823.  The parish register and census both suggest there was only one William in Chilton of a suitable age to be father of a child in 1819, so I think it almost certain therefore that Martha's husband William is a child of William and Sarah HATTO.  Maybe he was baptised elsewhere, or was baptised there but the clerk forgot to write it up; or maybe even they forgot to have him baptised.

On 1841 census William snr (husband of Sarah Powell) is in the same household as Louisa   20, Henry  14, Thomas  15, Charles  8, William  20 and Letisha  15. There is a single mark in the margin after Charles and  double mark after Letisha, which usually denotes a separate household in the same house. Also odd that the children are not listed completely in descending order of age. Letisha is definitely William and Sarah's son bapt 9 Mar 1823, so also I think William is a son of William and Sarah.
William and Sarah's oldest son Joseph married Sarah Annetts my great grandmother's much older half sister (33 years between them!)
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott