Author Topic: Looking for Henry Edward MITCHELL  (Read 3929 times)

Offline CathieM

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Looking for Henry Edward MITCHELL
« on: Thursday 29 August 13 05:04 BST (UK) »
I'm looking for Henry Edward MITCHELL in the 1851 and 1861 censuses.  I have found him  in 1871, living with his wife Mary and their family in Brighton and I have managed to trace the family through the later censuses but I would like to know about his early life.

Henry Edward was born in Hoxton 1842; this matches up with the later census records.  He was the son of Henry Mitchell, a sawyer.  I have found a baptism for Henry Edward in 1842 at Christchurch Hoxton along with his sister Sarah Elizabeth who was born in 1840.  Their mother's name was Elizabeth Randall.

I have found Henry, Elizabeth and Sarah in the 1841 census in Shoreditch where Henry is a sawyer.  Both Henry and Elizabeth are aged 20 and both are not born in Middlesex.  After that I cannot find census records for these people.

The next confirmed sighting of Henry Edward b. 1842 is in 1867 at the baptism of his daughter Elizabeth in Hawkhurst, Kent which is where is wife Mary was born.  He was living in Brighton by 1870 as their son Percy was baptised there.  This is confirmed by the 1871 census where he appears as a sawyer living in North Road, Brighton.  He lived in Sussex until his death in 1914.

So where was he in 1851 and 1861?  Was he still in London with his family or had they moved to Brighton by that stage?  Where did he spend the first 24 years of his life?  I'm grateful for any help in finding him.

Thank you.

CathieM

Offline Roy G

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for Henry Edward MITCHELL
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 29 August 13 19:38 BST (UK) »
Try Henry E Mitchell in HACKNEY in 1861.
Roy G

Offline CathieM

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 29 August 13 21:21 BST (UK) »
Thank you for looking, Roy, but I don't think that's him unfortunately.  Henry Edward's father is Henry rather than John, and Henry Edward was born in Hoxton. 

CathieM

Offline jomcd967

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 30 August 13 04:38 BST (UK) »
1851 - 25 Cavendish Place, Brighton
Henry Mitchell, head, marr, 28, saw sharpener, bLondon, Middlesex
Naomi Mitchell, wife, marr, 30, b ditto
Henry, son, 7, b ditto
Elizabeth, dau, 5, b ditto
Alice, dau, 4mths, b ditto

1861 - 34 Tidy Street, Brighton
Henry Mitchell, b 1823, London, saw maker
Naomi, b 1825, Clay Norfolk
Elizabeth, b 1849, London, music & French teacher
Alice, b1851, Brighton
Harriet, b 1856, Brighton

Baptisms at St Nicholas Brighton to Henry & Naomi Mitchell
Elizabeth, Alice Sophia & Emma Eliza, all baptised 11 Sept 1853
Harriet baptised 7 Oct 1855.

No marriage found to Naomi, is it possible that Elizabeth & Sarah Elizabeth died and Henry took up with Naomi and moved to Brighton?

A possible burial for Sarah Elizabeth  of Wellings Place Paddington, age 5 1/2 yrs, 26 Oct 1845.

Jo  :)
Puplett, Sonnex, Lott, Dunkiss, Hart - London area.
Hudson, Jenner, Dedman - Sussex
Leach, Hopkins, Saunders - Wales
Leach, Lipscombe - Hampshire
Sipthorpe - Lancashire
Walters - Cornawall & Australia
Kingshott, Matheson, Pitt, McDonald, Keogh - Australia.

Offline CathieM

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 30 August 13 07:01 BST (UK) »
Thank you, JO, that's very interesting.  Searching the gap between 1841 and 1851 for marriages for Henry Mitchell and Naomi, I found just one - Henry Mitchell to Naomi Randall in Kensington in 1847.  Randall was also the surname of his wife Elizabeth - perhaps she and Naomi were related!  I shall follow it up.

Cathie

Offline BillyMitchell

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 31 August 17 03:04 BST (UK) »
Henry Edward Mitchell - born 05 Dec 1839, Chelsea, Middlesex, England.

Parents: father: Stephen Mitchell (1814-?), mother: Charlotte Durnford (1816-1883).

Marriage: wife: Mary Morton Hyland (1840-1915), married Etchingham, Sussex, 06 Aug 1877.

Children: Henry John, born 1861, Mary, born 1869, Percy Francis, born 1870, Elizabeth, born 1871, Frederick William, born 1871, Albert Victor Ernest, born 1872, Edgar James, born 1874, Violet Annie, born 1878, Daisy, born 1881, Lilly, born 1886, Henry Edward, born 1888, Rosa Jane, born 1891.

Census: 1841, Chelsea, Middlesex, England. 1851, Southwark, London, Surrey, England. 1861, employed as a sawmaker, Brighton, Sussex, England. 1871, operating H. E. Mitchell, Sawmaker, 15 North Road, Brighton, Sussex, England. 1881, operating H. E. Mitchell, Sawmaker, 15 North Road, Brighton, Sussex, England. 1891, operating H. E. Mitchell, Sawmaker, 15 North Road, Brighton, Sussex, England. 1901, tool making business converted to Henry Edward Mitchell, Makers of iron store and office fixtures, 15 North Road, Brighton, Sussex, England, Henry retired and living in Keymer, Sussex, England, at Hatherly Villa.

Death: Oct 1914

I have more info about Henry if you would like it. I also have his family tree created on Ancestry. You can contact me at (*). I have no idea if I am related to Henry, but I do collect his tools, buying up anything and everything with his name on it.

Cheers,

Billy Mitchell
Toronto, Canada

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline Roy G

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 31 August 17 05:31 BST (UK) »
15 North Road would have been an interesting address in 1871.  It would have been close to the back entrance to the abandoned Church Street Infantry barracks, part of which was subsequently turned into the North Road Slipper Baths.  Might be worth looking up on an old Brighton map some time. 
Roy G

Offline Roy G

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 05 September 17 04:39 BST (UK) »
Correction.  It was his other property (4 North Road) that was next to the back entrance to the former Barrack Yard (at 5 North Road).  The 1949 Brighton street directory shows it as J B Bennett, Tool dealers, so there was little change in use.

Roy G