Author Topic: Bowler  (Read 6904 times)

Offline nong43

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Bowler
« Reply #9 on: Monday 06 November 17 19:17 GMT (UK) »
In the 1851 census, he is married to Priscilla and living in High Wycombe.

Is this their marriage (in familysearch) in Wycombe, November 1832 to Priscilla Cato?

Yes, pretty sure that's her. Still can't work out whether there's one Charles Bowler, who got about a bit, or more than one.
BKM/OXF: Harvey, Broughton, Goldswain, Braden, Ridgley, Wheeler, Lunnon, Dean, Austin, Franklin, Baldwin, Blackwell, Brooks, Ashby, East, Goodchild, Loosley, Stratford, Newell, Johnson, Bailey, Hobbs
BRK/OXF: Maskell, Waite, Ilsley, Harwood, Fuce, Lookman, Patey
SSX: Funnell, Hollengam, Gilbert, Ellis, Marchant, Harmer, Godfrey, Stoneham, Percy, Lavender
MDX/LDN/HRT: Seywell, Neville, Woods
KEN: Weller, Bishop, Friday, Maynard
ENG: Pewtress
Romnichal: Evans, Alford, Jeffs, Loveridge

Offline [Ray]

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • UK Census information Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 06 November 17 21:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi All,

Just throwing this in, in case it connects  . . . . . .

Phoebe Tearle / Charles Bowler
[ no implication of connections ]
Charles Bowler Tearle

Same geo.

Ray

"The wise man knows how little he knows, the foolish man does not". My Grandfather & Father.

"You can’t give kindness away.  It keeps coming back". Mark Twain (?).

Offline bucksboy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'll thank you all now, in case I forget.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 07 November 17 12:28 GMT (UK) »
No, sorry.  According to BucksFHS PR's CD, no Charles Bowler baptised at St.Mary's.

But there is this one.......!!

Baptism - 7 Mar 1784.  Coriolanus Charles son of Richard & Maria BOWLER.

Marriage 10 Oct 1781   by Banns
Richd BOWLER otp
Maria(x)BRADBURY otp
Witnesses - Joseph Rippington & Richard Loosley.

I can find no trace of Coriolanus Bowler in the PR's, apart from the baptsim.  I would hazard a calculated guess, that this is your Charles.......and he dropped Coriolanus.

Steve. :)
Ives, Stevens, Allen, Smith, King, Wooster, Elwood from Monks and Princes Risborough, Aylesbury, Wendover, Great Missenden, Bledlow, Horsenden, Saunderton, West Wycombe, High Wycombe, Lacey Green, Longwick, Illmer,  Hughenden, Prestwood, The Kimbles, Haslemere, Bradenham, Aston Clinton and more......!!  Plus a whole host of Oxfordshire areas.
Graham, Pimlott, Burgess from Cheshire and Lancashire area.
Acknowledgemets to http://www.bucksfhs.org.uk/  and  http://www.ofhs.org.uk/

Offline bucksboy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 07 November 17 12:45 GMT (UK) »
From same source.

Burial - 1 Mar 1816. Richard BOWLER aged 65, Labourer of town.
Burial - 22 Apr 1817.   Maria BOWLER aged 63 widow of Richd, Labourer of town.

Baptism - 5 Jul 1752. Richard son of Thomas & Mary BOWLER. John & Hannah Bowler. (CORRECTION).

Marriage - 5 Mar 1739.  by Banns.
John BOWLER otp
Hannah FRYAR otp

Baptism - 9 Jun 1782. Richard Fryer son of Richard & Maria BOWLER.
Burial - 17 Aug 1841. Richard Frere BOWLER aged 62, Carpenter of Risboro, died 14 Aug.

Ives, Stevens, Allen, Smith, King, Wooster, Elwood from Monks and Princes Risborough, Aylesbury, Wendover, Great Missenden, Bledlow, Horsenden, Saunderton, West Wycombe, High Wycombe, Lacey Green, Longwick, Illmer,  Hughenden, Prestwood, The Kimbles, Haslemere, Bradenham, Aston Clinton and more......!!  Plus a whole host of Oxfordshire areas.

Offline bucksboy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 07 November 17 12:52 GMT (UK) »
From Oxfhs - Shirburn Pr's CD.

Priscilla Cato.??....wife of Charles Bowler.  This would be his second wife, I'd think.  Charles Bowler is a widow, in 1832.

Baptism - 22 Sept 1788 - Priscilla Cater(sic), daughter of William & Elizabeth.(Private baptism). Recieved into Church. 5th Oct.

1841 census, gives Priscilla Bowler, not born in County. ;)

Offline bucksboy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 07 November 17 14:15 GMT (UK) »
From same source.

Baptism - 5 Jul 1752.  Richard son of Thomas & Mary BOWLER.

Marriage - 8 Aug 1776.  by Banns
Richard BOWLER, Bachelor otp
Mary SMITH, Spinster otp
Witnesses - Thos East & Rebecca(x)Smith.

I can see no baptisms in Princes Risborough to Richard & Mary Bowler, nor burials that would match. with any confidence.

Offline nong43

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 09 November 17 16:12 GMT (UK) »
In the end, I went back to Square 1, starting with what I definitely knew - I am descended from an Ann M Bowler, who is recorded on the 1891 census (under her married name of Wheeler) as a mother-in-law in the same household as my 6-year-old great-grandfather Charlie Ridgley. She, in turn is the daughter of a Charles Bowler (as it states on her marriage certificate to George Wheeler).

To find out more, I ordered the parish records for Bowler baptisms, marriages and burials from Bucks FHS. From that, I've managed to ascertain that:

Ann M's parents are indeed the Charles Bowler and Ann Newell who married in Fingest in 1808. It looks like they had three children (including twins) in West Wycombe, followed by a son in Fingest, three children in Radnage and one in High Wycombe (Ann M), over a period of 15 years.

Ann M had an illegitimate daughter, Zillah, in 1842.

Ann Newell died in 1831 and it would appear Charles married Priscilla Cato the year after. A further indication that the Charles who married Ann Newell is the same one who married Priscilla may be the presence of a witness with the same surname (Hester) at both ceremonies.

The Charles who was baptised in Farnham Royal in 1790, if he is a different individual to the above, either never married, or didn't marry in Bucks. (Or he could have been a Nonconformist, although I think this unlikely, as his parents weren't).

Conclusion: Coriolanus Charles Bowler is more likely to be my Charles Bowler than the other one, despite the name variation, but I want to see if I can find mention of him in other documents.

Interesting snippet: on the 1851 census, there is a George Harvey, aged 13, living with Charles and Priscilla. One of my great-great-great grandfathers has that name, and he would have been that age. It would be 90 years before a Bowler bloodline (via the Ridgleys) would come together with the Harvey bloodline, though.
BKM/OXF: Harvey, Broughton, Goldswain, Braden, Ridgley, Wheeler, Lunnon, Dean, Austin, Franklin, Baldwin, Blackwell, Brooks, Ashby, East, Goodchild, Loosley, Stratford, Newell, Johnson, Bailey, Hobbs
SSX: Funnell, Hollengam, Gilbert, Ellis, Marchant, Harmer, Godfrey, Stoneham, Percy, Lavender

Offline bucksboy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 09 November 17 22:23 GMT (UK) »
Had you also noticed in the 1841 census, that Josiah Newell c1801, Bucks, were also with them.  living, or working on Marsh Farm, aka Wycombe Marsh.

Also, George Harvey 1839. Wycombe. mmn. Gibbs.

Offline nong43

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 10 November 17 16:44 GMT (UK) »
Had you also noticed in the 1841 census, that Josiah Newell c1801, Bucks, were also with them.  living, or working on Marsh Farm, aka Wycombe Marsh.

Also, George Harvey 1839. Wycombe. mmn. Gibbs.

Yes, I did notice that  :). I presume he was Ann's younger brother or something.

Where did you get the information on George Harvey? On his marriage certificate no father's name is shown, so I thought he was illegitimate.  :)