Author Topic: On This Day In September - Our Ancestral BMDs  (Read 20660 times)

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
Re: On This Day In September - Our Ancestral BMDs
« Reply #18 on: Friday 06 September 13 17:42 BST (UK) »
On 6 Sept – Yet again only my husband’s ancestors.
Samuel Dyke and Sarah Whatton (Wooton) my husband’s 5 x g.grandparents married at Budbrooke, Warwick in 1762

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 07 September 13 09:28 BST (UK) »
On 7 Sept - quite a few young deaths and illegitimate children on this day.

John Baxter my 6 x g.g.uncle was born in Heckington, Lincolnshire in 1708.

James William Mumby my 1st cousin 3 times removed was born in Freiston, Lincolnshire in 1851.  He died a couple of years later from pneumonia.

John Bagshawe my 8 x g.g.uncle was baptised at Bradfield, Yorkshire in 1604

Lydia Uffindel my 6 x g.g.aunt was baptised at Holy Trinity Church, Haddenham, Cambridgeshire in 1712.  Eight years later she was buried at the same church.

Elizabeth Middleton my 1st cousin 4 times removed was baptised at Bootle, Cumberland in 1845.  She was the first of two illegitimate children of my 3 x g.g.aunt.  Following in her mother’s footsteps she had an illegitimate son 35 years later.

Jessie Jennet Howard Connor was baptised at Manchester Cathedral in 1862.  She was the g.g.aunt of my husband.  Although her birth certificate states that her mother was a widow, there is no record of her husband’s death (although he does seem to disappear from census etc. after 1851) and tellingly, her mother gave her the name of Howard as one of her surnames which was in fact her maiden name.

John Chorley my 3 x g.g.uncle was baptised at Gosforth, Cumberland in 1820.  He was the illegitimate son of my 4 x g.grandmother and born about 4 years after the death of my 4 x g.grandfather (who was 30 years older than his wife).  A bastardy order was taken out against the father, who didn’t attend the hearing, but the parish record of his baptism shows “John, illegitimate son of Joseph Noble”.

Daniel Collett my g.g.uncle died in Halesworth in 1842.  His death was only 3 days after his baptism.  The cause of his death is just given as Inflammation, so it could have been anything.

Offline nanny jan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Russian John
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 08 September 13 10:56 BST (UK) »

No ancestors today but it is a special day for one of my granddaughters............she is 5 years old.  :D
Howard , Viney , Kingsman, Pain/e, Rainer/ Rayner, Barham, George, Wakeling (Catherine), Vicary (Frederick)   all LDN area/suburbs  Ottley/ MDX,
Henman/ KNT   Gandy/LDN before 1830  Burgess/LDN
Barham/SFK   Rainer/CAN (Toronto) Gillians/CAN  Sturgeon/CAN (Vancouver)
Bailey/LDN Page/KNT   Paling/WA (var)

All census look-ups are crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 08 September 13 15:22 BST (UK) »
Only 2 today and one of those is an ancestor of my husband.

John Dye and Sarah Millar my 4 x g.grandparents married at St Peter & St Paul’s Parish Church, Bergh Apton, (pronounced bur-apt'n) Norfolk in 1778.  I know nothing more about them apart from the fact they had 4 children, and their only son became my 3 x g.grandfather.

Martha Jane Whittaker (nee Hooley) my husband’s g.g.aunt died in 1874 aged 33.  The cause of her death was Pleurisy and Debility.  I think the fact that she had a baby just before she died must have had something to do with her death.  In fact the baby wasn't baptised until 15 October 1874, some 6 weeks after her mother's death.

Offline Finley 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • a digital one for now real one espere
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 09 September 13 01:02 BST (UK) »
9.9.20.  my wonderful father was born xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

xin

Offline JonathanC

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 09 September 13 07:10 BST (UK) »
09 September

1821 George WEBB was baptised in Bridge, Kent England.  He married my ggg-grandmother, Hannah MORGAN, in 1846.  George might be, but probably isn't  :-\ , my ggg-grandfather as Hannah had a daughter born 1842 in the Union Workhouse in Bridge with no father named on the birth certificate.  I'm planning to go to my local LDS next week to find out more.

1907 My great-uncle, Alastair Craig BLAIR, was born in Glasgow, Scotland.  He later emigrated to Canada, marrying Agnes Cecilia MCMAHON in 1938.

1830 My gg-grandfather's younger brother, Allan BLAIR, was born in Strathblane, Stirlingshire, Scotland.  Allan married 3 times, producing a total of seven children.  The story of what happened to his descendants is far too long and complicated for this thread  ::)

1898 My great-aunt's husband, John George CRAIK, was born in Langside, Renfrew, Scotland.  He qualified as a Doctor and married my great-aunt, Margaret Meikle Craig BLAIR, at the Douglas Hotel in Glasgow in 1925.  Sadly John died in 1936, leaving his wife with two young children.
CRUST - Kent (Kingsnorth, Mersham)
BEATON - Isle of Mull
GODDEN - Ruckinge, Kent

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Big sister with baby brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 09 September 13 09:51 BST (UK) »
My Swedish great-grandfather, Erik Magnus Lundquist, had a brother, Jonas Theodor Lundquist, who was born 10 Sep 1855.
I am Australian, from all the lands I come (my ancestors, at least!)

Pine/Pyne, Dowdeswell, Kempster, Sando/Sandoe/Sandow, Nancarrow, Hounslow, Youatt, Richardson, Jarmyn, Oxlade, Coad, Kelsey, Crampton, Lindner, Pittaway, and too many others to name.
Devon, Dorset, Gloucs, Cornwall, Warwickshire, Bucks, Oxfordshire, Wilts, Germany, Sweden, and of course London, to name a few.

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Big sister with baby brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 09 September 13 10:01 BST (UK) »
Also my 3x great-grandfather, Pehr Olofsson, had a brother, Johannes Olofsson, born 10 Sep 1774.

And, only because I'm a doting grandfather, my grandson was born on the 10 Sep 2007.  ;D
I am Australian, from all the lands I come (my ancestors, at least!)

Pine/Pyne, Dowdeswell, Kempster, Sando/Sandoe/Sandow, Nancarrow, Hounslow, Youatt, Richardson, Jarmyn, Oxlade, Coad, Kelsey, Crampton, Lindner, Pittaway, and too many others to name.
Devon, Dorset, Gloucs, Cornwall, Warwickshire, Bucks, Oxfordshire, Wilts, Germany, Sweden, and of course London, to name a few.

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 09 September 13 12:22 BST (UK) »
On 9 September
Elias Dyke and Ann Wagstaff my husband’s 3 x g.grandparents married at St Mary’s Church, Warwick in 1823.  He was a wheelwright.

Elizabeth Howard (nee Pennington) my husband’s 4 x g.grandmother was born in Liverpool in 1768

Sarah Day my 3 x g.g.aunt was baptised at St Peter & St Paul’s Church, Belton by Grantham, Lincolnshire in 1790

Joseph Gaunt my 5 x g.grandfather was buried at St John the Baptist Church, Penistone, Yorkshire in 1749.  I know he had at least 4 children, the eldest being my 4 x g.grandfather but I cannot find a marriage for him.  I’ve found marriages for his siblings in the Penistone records, usually married at Denby Church (Penistone being the mother church) but nothing for my 5 x g.grandfather and, of course, the baptisms of his 4 children only give the father’s name.  All I know is that her first name was  Sarah as this is shown on the parish record of her death in 1747.

Roger le Bigod my 26 x g.grandfather died in 1107 at Earsham, Norfolk.  The Domesday Book lists Roger as holding six lordships in Essex, 117 in Suffolk and 187 in Norfolk.  He lived in Thetford, Norfolk where he founded a priory later donated to the great monastery at Cluny. In 1101 Henry I granted him licence to build a castle at Framlingham, Suffolk, which became the family seat until 1307. Another of his castles was Bungay Castle also in Suffolk.  He is buried in Norwich. At the time of his death there was a dispute between the Bishop of Norwich and the monks at Thetford Priory, founded by Bigod. The monks claimed that Roger's body, along with those of his family and successors, was due to them as part of the foundation charter of the priory (as was common practice at the time). Things were apparently resolved when the Bishop of Norwich stole the body in the middle of the night and took it back to Norwich.

And last but not least another of my grandsons has a birthday today.  He is 15 today.  Happy Birthday, Joshua.