Author Topic: On This Day In September - Our Ancestral BMDs  (Read 20654 times)

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
Re: On This Day In September - Our Ancestral BMDs
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 03 September 13 13:14 BST (UK) »
Only 3 today.

On 3 September
John Dalby and Mary Williamson my 7 x g.grandparents married at St Lawrence’s Church, Corringham, Lincolnshire in 1719.  They had 3 children before they married including my 6 x g.grandmother but Mary was always shown as the mother on the baptismal records.

Isaac Day my 3 x g.g.uncle was baptised at St Peter & St Paul, Osbournby, Lincolnshire in 1780.  He died just  4½ years later.

Frances Stanton my 5 x g.g.aunt was buried in Rippingale, Lincolnshire in 1750.  She was 18 months old.

Offline genjen

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 04 September 13 09:47 BST (UK) »
Today in 1820 my 4 x great aunt, Christian Birnie was born in Strichen, Aberdeenshire.

In 1869 Mary Jane Raitt, 1st Cousin x3, was born in Old Machar, Aberdeenshire

And on September 4th 1969, at nine-thirty in the morning, I was almost certainly applying make-up and teasing my hair into an acceptable shape because I was about to be chief bridesmaid for my big sister! This was in the days when hen parties hadn't been invented and stag nights were much simpler affairs than they are today. But amongst my sister's invited guests were three male friends from university, all of whom arrived in our village the night before and who had dragged me and sister ( kicking and screaming all the way, I assure you) down to the village pub where we drank copious quantities of beer and probably behaved in a manner which would have the locals gossiping for a very long time. One of these three visiting students became my husband just over a year later and, subsequently, the father of my two daughters. Sister and brother-in-law had a very lovely wedding, quite small and without much fuss. Forty-four years later they have two grown-up offspring, a son-in-law, a daughter-in-law and three grand-daughters. I wish them many more years of happiness and lots of love. :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

ESS: Howe French Cant Annis Noakes Turner Marshall Makerow Duck Spurden Harmony
SCT: Howe Shaw Raitt Milne Forsyth Birnie Crichton Duncan McBeath Daniel Hay Robertson Jaffrey Smith McDonald Alexander Craighead
NRY: Bushby Smith Bland Iley Cunion Kendrew Thornbury Favell Lonsdale Crossland Rudd Pratt Gibson
WES; Dickenson Jackson Ewbank Waller
STS: White
SRY: Knight
DUR: Smith Littlefair
HAM: Williams Grose Lush Venson

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 04 September 13 11:32 BST (UK) »
What a lovely story about your sister's wedding genjen.

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 04 September 13 11:36 BST (UK) »
Quite a few today, to make up for the lack of my ancestors on 1 and 2nd September.

On 4 September,
Mary Cockett (nee Hawkins) my 5 x g.grandmother was baptised at St Mary & St Nicholas Parish Church, Spalding in 1702.  She was my 5 x g.grandfather’s 2nd wife, his first wife died leaving him with a son aged about 6 months old.  He produced another son (my 4 x g.grandfather) with his 2nd wife Mary, but then my 5 x g.grandfather died, leaving his 2nd wife with 2 boys, one of which wasn’t hers.  Mary married the year after my 5 x g.grandfather died which meant her stepson was living in a family with two adults neither of which were his natural parents.  About a year later he was apprenticed in husbandry as a “poor child”.  He was just 8 years of age, it seems a bit harsh but I suppose that's life and according to my newspaper today, the same thing happened to Mary Portas and her siblings, although she was 16 at the time and had to go out to work to support her siblings.  So I suppose, some things never change.

Ann Dyke (nee Wagstaff) my husband’s 3 x g.grandmother was baptised at St Mary’s Church, Warwick in 1799.  She was 3 years old at the time.  Her husband was a wheelwright and they lived in the same address from at least 1841 until her husband’s death in 1862.  She died 5 years later, at which time she was living in West Street Almshouses, Warwick.

William Postlethwaite my 5 x g.g.uncle was baptised at Urswick in Furness, Lancashire in 1743

Daniel Collett my g.g.uncle was baptised in Halesworth, Suffolk in 1842.  We’ll meet him again on 7 and 11 September.

Elizabeth Singleton  my 6 x g.g.aunt was buried at St Peter’s Church, Huddersfield,Yorkshire in 1666.  She was 7 months old.

Joseph Gaunt my 4 x g.grandfather was buried at St John the Baptist Church, Penistone, Yorkshire in 1789.  He was 59 and left his wife and 8 children (one had died as a baby), my 3 x g.grandmother being the youngest aged 9.   He had been a cordwainer.  His wife died only 2 years later so I don’t know what happened to the younger children, I guess the older ones looked after them.  Certainly her eldest brother was a farmer.

John Collett  my 2 x g.g.uncle was buried at 1887 at St Andrew’s Church, Ilketshall St Andrew, Suffolk.  He had been an agricultural worker and hay cutter.  He was 82 years old and had been working until at least the age of 76.  Presumably he was quite poor and unable to leave anything for his wife as following his death she went to live in Union Workhouse, Shipmeadow, Suffolk where she died 4 years later.  Ironically, that was the same workhouse as her father in law had died in, 50 years previously.  She was 88 at the time.

And last, but not least our eldest grandchild was born this day in 1990.  Happy Birthday Jamie. ;D

Online nanny jan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Russian John
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 05 September 13 08:01 BST (UK) »
3 birthdays today:

My Canadian grandson.....2 years old.  :)

A 1st cousin 2R, William Charles Barham, born in 1864 in Shoreditch;  son of Henry and Louisa (nee Webster). William was christened a few weeks later at St. James, Curtain Road, Shoreditch. Sadly he died the following year and is buried in Victoria Park Cemetery, Hackney.

Another 1st cousin 2R, Isabella Read, born in 1862 in London;  daughter of Samuel and Isabella (nee Barham). Isabella was christened a few weeks later at St. Leonard, Shoreditch. She married Mark Ralph in 1882 at St. Thomas, Bethnal Green.  They had 12 children.  Mark died in 1929 but Isabella almost made her century dying aged 97 in 1959.  She is buried in St. Pancras Cemetery, Camden.
Howard , Viney , Kingsman, Pain/e, Rainer/ Rayner, Barham, George, Wakeling (Catherine), Vicary (Frederick)   all LDN area/suburbs  Ottley/ MDX,
Henman/ KNT   Gandy/LDN before 1830  Burgess/LDN
Barham/SFK   Rainer/CAN (Toronto) Gillians/CAN  Sturgeon/CAN (Vancouver)
Bailey/LDN Page/KNT   Paling/WA (var)

All census look-ups are crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline genjen

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 05 September 13 09:58 BST (UK) »
5th September 1842, my 4 x great grandfather, Ralph Bland died in Bedale, North Riding. He was born in Cockfield Co. Durham in 1769. He married Elizabeth Thornbury and they had nine children, some of whom died in infancy.

And you know that sister - the one who was married forty-four years ago yesterday - Well now you all have to sing happy birthday to her because she was born, in Middlesbrough - 96 Croft Street, on September 5th 1947. Happy Birthday big sister.  :D :D :D
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

ESS: Howe French Cant Annis Noakes Turner Marshall Makerow Duck Spurden Harmony
SCT: Howe Shaw Raitt Milne Forsyth Birnie Crichton Duncan McBeath Daniel Hay Robertson Jaffrey Smith McDonald Alexander Craighead
NRY: Bushby Smith Bland Iley Cunion Kendrew Thornbury Favell Lonsdale Crossland Rudd Pratt Gibson
WES; Dickenson Jackson Ewbank Waller
STS: White
SRY: Knight
DUR: Smith Littlefair
HAM: Williams Grose Lush Venson

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 05 September 13 14:10 BST (UK) »
On 5 September, only one again today.
Joseph Hobson my 2 x g.grandfather was baptised at Denby Dykeside (now known as Denby Dale) Wesleyan Chapel, Cumberworth, Yorkshire in 1813.  He married and had 6 children, the 3rd one being my g.grandfather.  Although I already had the information, his baptism record gives his mother’s maiden name and his date of birth.

But 3 of my husband’s ancestors.
Eliza Louisa Catlow (nee Whittaker ) my husband’s g.aunt was baptised in St Lawrence Church, Denton, Lancashire in 1889

Elizabeth Sharman (nee Dyke) my husband’s 2 x g.g.aunt was baptised at St Mary’s Church, Warwick in 1824

William Hardy my husband’s 2 x g.g.uncle was baptised in Christ Church, Denton, Lancashire in 1816

Sarah Heaton (nee Legge) my husband’s 2 x g.grandmother was buried in a Non Conformist grave, in Philips Park Cemetery, Manchester in 1874.  She and her husband must have changed to non conformists, as they were both baptised and married in C of E churches in different parts of the country.  Having asked on the Lancashire board to see if anyone could work out who the others in the grave were, I've been inundated with help - as you would expect from Rootschatters.  So now I know who else (apart from one) was in the grave and their relationship to Sarah Heaton and her husband.

Offline quest40

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 05 September 13 17:27 BST (UK) »
I too enjoyed reading about your sister's wedding, gengen - and two anniversaries in two days - wonderful!

On 5 September 1892 my 2 x g.g uncle, Emmanuel Ashwell, died in Kempston, Bedfordshire, aged 62.  He had started a business extracting gravel from river beds around Bedford and carting it to the railhead ready for transporting around the country for use in road building etc.  Emmanuel and his wife Mary Ann had 11 children, but only one, Frank, was involved in the business.
Conquest, Crowsley, Giovannelli, Kingham, Marshall, Sewell, Wilson, Ashwell

Offline JonathanC

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 06 September 13 06:29 BST (UK) »
6 September

1768 my 3xgreat grandfather, William MEIKLE was born in Lesmahagow, Lanark(shire), Scotland.  He married three times and had (at least) 14 children.

1930 my first cousin once removed, Diana BLAIR was born in Ealing, Middlesex, England.  She married Henry Christopher GILL in 1952.

1864 my gg-grandparents, William STEWART and Isabella SUTHERLAND, were married in Elder's Church, Glasgow, Scotland.  Their first child (Ellen, my great grandmother) was born seven months later  ;)  William and Isabella had (at least) 13 children.  Isabella's father, Donald SUTHERLAND, is one of my 'brick walls'.  He disappears after the 1851 census, this thread refers:

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=414550.msg2808979#msg2808979

CRUST - Kent (Kingsnorth, Mersham)
BEATON - Isle of Mull
GODDEN - Ruckinge, Kent