Author Topic: Vashti Nash b. abt 1817  (Read 4387 times)

Offline Robert Fletcher

• RootsChat Veteran
  • And he's still just as cute!
    • View Profile
Re: Vashti Nash b. abt 1817
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 03 October 13 09:47 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much for that link it's great when you are looking at the parishes. I am wondering how I did not know about this before. I would agree with you that James Naish & Mary Godden were indeed the parents of my James Naish. 

I'm going to make an extraordinary suggestion and before you think I am completely bonkers I am not the 1st to consider this. Unfortunately the person who raised this a few years ago (before I started researching) is no longer contactable. To recap This is what we know:

bet 1805-1810 - Sophia Nash - Bath or Combe Hay Somerset
9 May 1813  - Catherine Naish - Devizes Southbroom
bet 1817-1821 (varies widely on census) - Vashti Nash
09 Sep 1818 – Joseph Naish - Echilhampton
16 Dec 1820 – Henry Naish - Echilhampton
0 4 Jun 1823 – Cornelius Naish - Echilhampton

I have managed to obtain baptisms from the Echilhampton parish register so the above is collectively all the children of James Naish, carpenter and that wife Christian??.

On 06 August 1815 in Echilhampton Dinah daughter of Sarah Nash was baptised. The suggestion is that as Dinah was illegitimate, probably to a very young woman, that she was "adopted" by James and Christian and named Vashti. Certainly the date would fit in between Catherine and Joseph. Vashti was never shown in any baptism records the reason being was that she was already baptised.

I can't find anyone called Dinah Nash or Naish in any BMD records. But then we do have some limitations on the availability of online parish registers. And unfortunately I do not have ready access to the Echilhampton parish register.

Robert…
BELL - Nottingham
FISHER – Hinckley Leics
FLETCHER – Louth (District), Lincolnshire
HALLETT - Grimsby Lincs
MINKLEY - Notts & Leics

Offline glenclare

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 03 October 13 10:18 BST (UK) »
Hi Robert

Given your last theory, have you seen the 27 December 1841 marriage in Beechingstoke. (close to Echilhampton)
Dinah Nash to John Gillet. Pallots marriage Index.

On the site I found this there is a transcribing error submission from another subscriber. This was in 2011 but may still be worth an enquiry.

Glen

Offline Robert Fletcher

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 03 October 13 10:45 BST (UK) »
Given your last theory, have you seen the 27 December 1841 marriage in Beechingstoke. (close to Echilhampton)
Dinah Nash to John Gillet. Pallots marriage Index.

On the site I found this there is a transcribing error submission from another subscriber. This was in 2011 but may still be worth an enquiry.

Glen
That might put a bit of a dampener on it. What we have to do now is to site the parish register to see who she listed as father. As a last resort I guess I could spend the £10 and get the marriage certificate.

Thanks so much for finding this it is one that I need to eliminate.

Robert…
BELL - Nottingham
FISHER – Hinckley Leics
HALLETT - Grimsby Lincs
MINKLEY - Notts & Leics

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 03 October 13 11:47 BST (UK) »
You missed one child of James and Christian in your list:

James Godden Naish bp.18/11/1807 Devizes, son of James and Christian.

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Robert Fletcher

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 03 October 13 12:02 BST (UK) »
You missed one child of James and Christian in your list:

James Godden Naish bp.18/11/1807 Devizes, son of James and Christian.

Annette
Thank you Annette I actually had him in and then I crossed him off. Don't worry ever since I looked at this part of the family I have been adding and subtracting people all the time. As you quite rightly pointed out we have two families one was a carpenter on the other labourer. I'm going to need to go back and look at James Godden Naish because it does make sense having is grandmothers name but I have to make sure that he actually belongs to the Into. I can't remember why I crossed him off.

Robert…
BELL - Nottingham
FISHER – Hinckley Leics
HALLETT - Grimsby Lincs
MINKLEY - Notts & Leics

Offline Ellalaine

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 14 September 19 16:33 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

Just stumbled across this post whilst looking for the Nash family from wiltshire. Not sure if by now you have found out but Vashti and Christiana are names associated  with Romany Gypsy families in and around the West Country. I have both names in my tree several times over. If you haven't already, make contact with the Romany and Traveller Family History Society. They have a magasine Romany Routes which may lead you to more family members

Best wishes
Romany Gypsies, Holland, Orchard, Penfold, Smith all from West Country or travelling in Usa
Sussex Bargemen, Scutts, Warners of Pulborough, Sussex
Durham and Scotland, Harvey, Stoddart

Offline Robert Fletcher

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 14 September 19 17:18 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

Just stumbled across this post whilst looking for the Nash family from wiltshire. Not sure if by now you have found out but Vashti and Christiana are names associated  with Romany Gypsy families in and around the West Country. I have both names in my tree several times over. If you haven't already, make contact with the Romany and Traveller Family History Society. They have a magasine Romany Routes which may lead you to more family members

Best wishes
Hi Ellalaine

This is a real surprise and I must thank you. This is a line I have not followed. What I have always found puzzling is that she is the only one in that family who do not show up in Etchilhampton baptism records. I am in a hiatus in my research at the moment but I will pass this on to my cousin who is more active. The other name which has come up without any records is "Ember". I will have to get active again I can see. Sounds very exciting if we do have some Romany connections. I have not had any DNA done but I am wondering if this would help.

Kinf Regards, Robert...
BELL - Nottingham
FISHER – Hinckley Leics
HALLETT - Grimsby Lincs
MINKLEY - Notts & Leics

Offline Ellalaine

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 01 October 19 10:08 BST (UK) »
Fantastic! Hope you get some results :) Kushti Bok
Ellalaine  :)
Romany Gypsies, Holland, Orchard, Penfold, Smith all from West Country or travelling in Usa
Sussex Bargemen, Scutts, Warners of Pulborough, Sussex
Durham and Scotland, Harvey, Stoddart

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 01 October 19 16:21 BST (UK) »
I am reawakening this thread as I have found a little bit more information. The name Vashti is certainly not uncommon in Wiltshire as it appears many times.

I'm going to try to put this request here rather than go into Somerset as to try and keep this thread in tact, however if people feel I do better starting a new thread in Somerset then I can always do that.

I am looking for the baptism of Sophia Nash or Naish b. abt 1805 or 1810 in Bath all Combe Hay according to the 1851/1861 census respectively. Does anyone have access to the parish register for Combe Hay. As we cannot find a marriage for James Nash or Naish in Wiltshire it looks highly probable that James and Christian got married in Somerset.

I have another theory about Vashti but I'll post that on the forum after we have had a look at this.

Thank you,
Robert…

Sophia Nash was bp.20/3/1803 Combe Hay, Somerset, dau. James and Christian
also
Jane Nash bp.3/2/1805 Combe Hay, Somerset, dau. James and Christian.

Sophia Nash married Stephen Allen 12/10/1833 Wilcot, Wiltshire - the Sophia Ellen on 1841 census should read Allen and her age a bit out, but later census shows bc.1804/5 which ties in with the baptism.   I cannot see any children baptised to Stephen and Sophia, or what became of him.   The Martha Ember bc.1842 Devizes - she marries an Elisha Hale 25/11/1865 Chirton, Wilts. stating her father was a William Ember, labourer.   By 1871 she has 3 children - William 4, Jane 2 and George 3months. 

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk