Author Topic: Weir Family Belfast  (Read 23234 times)

Offline charles girl

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Weir Family Belfast
« on: Sunday 01 September 13 05:50 BST (UK) »
Wondering if there is anyone out there that might be related or know of any info on my grandmother's family. Her name was Elizabeth Weir born around 1902 either in Belfast or Dundalk (died 1962 in Belfast). Her mother was Elizabeth also, maiden name unknown. Her father was James Weir (a labourer). It appears James Weir had died sometime before 1918. My grandmother Elizabeth and great gran Elizabeth lived at 8 Watson Street, Belfast around 1918, when my grandmother married James Coyle (1919) they lived also at 8 Watson Street, then Gay Street, then 22 Connaught Street.  Great Gran Elizabeth lived with them until her death (1877-1937). My grandmother Elizabeth had an aunt that lived off the Shankill Road (1920-1940 ?) who used to keep pigs in back yard. I do not know if she was related to the Weir family side of the family or related to Great Grandmother Elizabeth's side of family. It is beleived that this aunt may have had the surname Mclean. Thanks for any help. Charles girl
Weir, Coyle, Ruth, Dilworth

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Weir Family Belfast
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 01 September 13 07:55 BST (UK) »
Hi,
   Closest I can find in the 1911 census is James Weir, His wife Elizabeth and 9year old daughter Elizabeth living in Movilla Street, Newtownards.
  Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 01 September 13 09:24 BST (UK) »
the Elizabeth on that census is 13 born about 1888 however she is the closest match with the parents that you are looking for,did you get her age from a death cert where ages are usually guessed approx,she is on the 1901 census age 3 at 21 Georges st,in 1911 her parents are married 22 yrs so approx 1887/1888.

edit looks like i made a typo too birth should be 1898.

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 01 September 13 09:33 BST (UK) »
Hi,
   Yes, I made a typo on the age. She was indeed 13 in 1911 so that would have made her birth in 1898 which agrees with the 1901 census age of 3.

Regards
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 01 September 13 10:09 BST (UK) »
It saves so much work if you post a link when you find a census record.

Here's the 13 year old Elizabeth Weir in 1911- what hasn't been mentioned is that it's a rather large family. Charles girl- any family stories that your grandmother had lots of brothers and sisters?
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Down/Newtownards_Urban/Movilla_Street/268777
Same family in 1901-
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Down/Newtownards_Urban/Georges_Street/1259117

Charles girl- did great-grandmother Elizabeth Weir die 21 Aug.1937? If so she was buried in Belfast City Cemetery (Public Ground so no family members listed) and address given as Belfast Infirmary.

The 1918 Belfast directory lists Mrs. Weir at 6 Watson St.- www.lennonwylie.co.uk/wyzcomplete1918.htm
In 1910 the same house is listed as vacant- http://www.lennonwylie.co.uk/wyzcomplete1910.htm

Hopefully a moderator will soon move this from completed requests to the main Antrim board.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline charles girl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 02 September 13 11:20 BST (UK) »
Thankyou to everyone who replied. I have death cert of my great grandmother Elizabeth (also called by nickname Lizzie), and have the info of the census, sorry yes it is 6 watson street. I have tried to get birth cert on my grandmother Elizabeth (also called by nickname sissy), my mum can't remember her exact birthdate (mum is 87) but she thinks it was 12/5/1902. She died at 59 on 15/4/1962. I have also looked up Belfast Cemetary site and have all that info. I have tried to get birth cert from both Northern Ireland and Eire birth, deaths and marriages but no luck with them both. Mum is sure she said she was born in Dundalk. Would there be a Dundalk in England or Scotland ? I haven't been able to find one if there is. Grandmother Elizabeth was definately an only child. The only other thing about my grandmother Elizabeth was the family used to have a large photo ( not like the black and white photos but brown tinge like what used to be used in 1910-1915 time ) it was oval shaped. She had long hair with big black bow, white frilly blouse and long black skirt, I wonder if a struggling family around this time could have afforded a photo like this? I don't know anything of how much it cost to have photos taken back then. This was destroyed when the family house at 22 Connaught Street was burnt down (1971). My grandmother Elizabeth had 13 children and I have my grandparents marriage cert. I have heard that there was a Weir family in Belfast that many members of this family died in a fire or bombing in the family mill I don't know exactly the time span could be before 1930's. I just have hit a brick wall and can't seem to get anywhere with my grandmother's family. Thanks again for reading Charles girl.
Weir, Coyle, Ruth, Dilworth

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 02 September 13 14:59 BST (UK) »
this might be them
9 Sturgeon st St George Antrim 1911 cenus
Rachel Watters a widow
dtr Rachel age 16
Samuel age 13
sister Elizabeth WIER 42 a yarnspinner
dtr Elizabeth WIER Age 8 both born belfast, Elizabeth 42 is down as single but is probably a widow, if this is them you may be able to find Rachel Watters marriage for her maiden name,also in St george there is a Watson st no 18 shows an Ellen McLean.

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 02 September 13 15:28 BST (UK) »
if right family either of these births will get parents names,
Rachel Watters Oct Dec 1894 ,Belfast volume 1 page 275.
Samuel Watters Jan Mar 1898 ,Belfast volume 1 page 303.

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 02 September 13 15:58 BST (UK) »
Hi,
   1894 Robert Watters married Rachel Weir in St. Annes Church of Ireland, Shankill, Belfast.

Regards
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim