Author Topic: Thomas & Margaret O'Dwyer-Where to write to their Parish Church??  (Read 3346 times)

Offline Tees

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Thomas & Margaret O'Dwyer-Where to write to their Parish Church??
« on: Wednesday 15 June 05 02:55 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I would like to have several names of Churches in vicinity of Durha, Kilrush as my great-grandparents Thomas & Margaret (nee Casey) O'Dwyer were buried in Breaffa or Kyle-Cen Cemetery.

They used to have a house in Durha, Kilrush.

Margaret Casey used to teach English in one of National Schools in this area. I understand that when she passed away on 22 March 1922 and there was a huge funeral march of her former pupils along with many relations.

I am trying to locate their birthplaces and birthdates and their marriage date as well.

Any helpful contact information is greatly appreciated! Even local register office will do.

Kind regards,

Tees

Offline moscan

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The next generation
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas & Margaret O'Dwyer-Where to write to their Parish Church??
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 15 June 05 03:05 BST (UK) »
Hello Tees,

The GRO in Dublin will have the details of the Births Marriages and deaths as long as they were after 1864,

The Department of Education may have some details on Margaret Casey if she was a National School Teacher - Dept of Education, Marleborough St, Dublin 1 Ireland.

Clare County library service is administered from
County Library Headquarters at Mill Road, Ennis, County Clare.

The library would have a list of all the churches and their Parish Priests and contact names and addresses...

I will be in Kilrush next week if you want photos etc... not sure how much time I willl have there but would happily do some searching for you

Mo
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright<br /><br />Researching: - Freear, Walker, Aston, Scanlan, Courtney, Lowth, O’Sulivan, McDonnell, Condon, McMahon, McKay, Brock, Gourlay, Busby<br /><br />Locations: - March in Cambridgeshire, Banbury in Oxfordshire, Mileham in Norfolk, Worcester, Evesham, Claines in Worcestershire, Birmingham. Dublin, Cork, Fermanagh in Ireland.  Glasgow, Stirling in Scotland

Offline Tees

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 15 June 05 03:53 BST (UK) »
Hi Mo!

That is mighty nice of you to offer to take a photo or two. It would be nice if you could locate the cemetary for me-take a photo of grave for me.

I have the death certificates of my great-great grandparents. I am trying to trace their birthplaces or dates of birth. I am at the dead's end on their marriage date or where it was taken.

According to the old letter written to my great-grandfather, his brother stated that their parents are buried in mentioned cemetary in previous e-mail. The funerals were taken at the Kilrush Parish Church.

I thought it would be a good idea to contact this Kilrush Parish Church to enquire if they have any information on their marriage as my great-grandfather was born in Kilrush. So, the information should be there, don't you think so?

The information on getting teaching records is useful-thank you so much for that. I will write off to them-hopefully, they could find something for me. :)

If you have any idea or good contact information, it is always welcome here!

I would be happy to reimburse you for any photos taken in Kilrush.

Regards,

Tees

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 20 June 05 22:33 BST (UK) »
Hi Tees,

Do you have them from the 1901 census? If not here they are.

http://www.clarelibrary.ie/eolas/coclare/genealogy/1901census/kilrush_rural_ded_durha102_12.htm

You might also find this link useful- especially the genealogy pages ;)
http://www.clarelibrary.ie/

Regards

Carol
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Tees

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 20 June 05 23:17 BST (UK) »
Hi Carol,

Yes, I did look up on them in the 1901 Census. It did not help much. :)

I think it is a bit strange that census-taking is a bit different from England & Wales especially when Ireland was part of the UK at that time. In the 1901 census in England, it will list your birthplace in which town and county. Whereas in Ireland, there is no information on town-simply county.

It showed what was the important information is necessary to obtain on both census in two different parts of the UK.

Thanks for the website as I have looked it up before you mentioned it.  ;)

But I truly appreciate your efforts in helping me out. Thank you for your interest.

Regards,

Tees

Offline Tees

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 20 June 05 23:44 BST (UK) »

You might also find this link useful- especially the genealogy pages ;)
http://www.clarelibrary.ie/

Hi Carol!

This website is quite useful-I agree with you! I am going to try the postal address it have on Kilrush but I am not sure if it is right parish. Civil parish is different from the RC parish, I am sure you know that. :)

Let's hope the priest would be kind enough to aid me in obtaining particulars.

Thanks again!

Robert