Author Topic: Frederick Gorringe Limited - Buckingham Palace Road  (Read 12664 times)

Offline hatofthecat

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Frederick Gorringe Limited - Buckingham Palace Road
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 28 October 20 13:26 GMT (UK) »
"Yes she is on the third page - she is listed as Carrie Norris."

Thank you montereyjack, that's great  8)  I've never seen my 2x great grand aunt recorded as Carrie before so its a lost snippet of her life as now I know what name she actually used.  Caroline started at Gorringes in 1875 and didn't retire until mid 1930s when she was in her 70s.  For most of that time she lived in staff accommodation at the top of building which was otherwise occupied by young single staff so I assume she acted as some sort of "house mother" to the youngsters.  She was one of three spinster sisters or "the maiden aunts" as my father called them, he told me once they'd turn up to any family event... no invite required  ;D
Norris / Andover, Poplar, Canning Town, Stratford
Hughes, Cooper, New  / Berkshire
Waugh, Lisle, Davison, Mole, Luke, Dodd / Northumberland
Walton / Cumberland, County Durham, Northumberland
Littlefair / County Durham, Northumberland
Morcumb, Pedler, Warne, Whitford, Arthur, Warmington, Sleap, Docton,Couche / Cornwall
Ross / Middlesex, Hertfordshire
Southgate / Essex
Tarrant/Hampshire

Offline vblease

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 23 November 20 19:21 GMT (UK) »
I have just found 2 of my cousins, Annie Godsmark Heath (1861-1939) and her sister Sarah Gould Heath (1863-1936) who I believe were working for Frederick Gorringe. 

They were both Drapers Assistants, and Annie was living at 51-59 Buckingham Palace Road at the 1881 census.

They also both ended up living together at 57 Drapers Cottage Homes, Hammers Lane, Hendon until their deaths.  These are now run by the Retail Trust, but the homes were built to assist retired people from the Drapery trade with a minimum of 15 years service.

Would be interested to know if both their names were in your book.
Thanks
Val

Offline montereyjack

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 24 November 20 00:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi - the only Heath in the book is a Clara Heath. The book was made at the end of 1890.

I have since discovered that my relative was a partner in the business. This would explain why the staff gave him the book for his 50th birthday and why he retained use of one of the flats above the shop even after his retirement.

Offline vblease

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 24 November 20 00:23 GMT (UK) »
How interesting for you.
Thanks for looking for my 2, but they weren't working there in 1890 so they wouldn't have been in the book.
Good luck with your research.
Val

Offline Jessyg83

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 30 May 21 17:34 BST (UK) »
Hi I've recently discovered a relation  worked here and is listed as a Drapers Assistant on the 1891 census. Her name was Amy Eliza Copestick. I'm guessing she worked up until the late 1890s when she married. So lovely to read your stories as I had never heard of it until now x