Author Topic: Killtullagh, Ballinlough, Roscommon  (Read 3275 times)

Offline kaknmo

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Killtullagh, Ballinlough, Roscommon
« on: Tuesday 03 September 13 04:42 BST (UK) »
Hello,

My great great grandparents, Michael Cox and Biddy Rogers were married in Killtullagh, Ballinlough, Roscommon, on February 10, 1823.  The witnesses were Tom Cox and John Rogers.

I believe Michael Cox lived in Mayo. 
I wonder if a person with knowledge of Mayo and Roscommon boundary history  would know if the Killtullagh parish RC church was attended by Mayo and Roscommon residents.
I know there was some land near the boundary of the two counties which was taken from one county to another.

I am trying to ascertain if Biddy would have been a Roscommon resident if they were married in Killtullagh in 1823.

I am very interested in any information anyone might have about Rogers people in that area in that time period. 

Thank you for reading this post!
Thank you for any help you can give!
kaknmo

Offline Lisacul Rosie

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Killtullagh, Ballinlough, Roscommon
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 03 September 13 23:10 BST (UK) »

Hello kaknmo,

The boundary changes of 1898 did not affect the townlands surrounding Ballinlough and the Mayo border. As you leave Roscommon at Screggs along the N60 you immediately enter the Annagh Parish in Mayo.

It was not uncommon for a marriage to occur in the Parish of the bride if the groom was of another parish.

Details of the Rogers families that remained in Kiltullagh Parish in 1857 from the Griffith Valuation :-

http://www.rootschat.com/links/0vzu/