Author Topic: Kingston  (Read 6341 times)

Offline Maystan

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Kingston
« on: Tuesday 03 September 13 19:12 BST (UK) »
Could anyone tell me where Kingston is in Athlone, the locatiion. Viewed some St. Mary's Athlone baptisms & states Thomas of Kingston.   Anything about this place would be appreciated.  Thank you.

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Kingston
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 10 September 13 13:52 BST (UK) »
As far as I am aware, and from a general search, there is no place name Kingston used around Athlone
It may have been the name of a house depending on the time
It would be more usual for a place name to be outside the area at a marriage but it may be that Thomas' parents lived in Kingston elsewhere e.g. Meath or Wicklow, and were visiting Athlone at the time of his birth

There was a family Earl of Kingston in Co. Roscommon but in Boyle quite a distance from Athlone - their seat was Kingston Hall
Kearney & Bourke/ Johns & Fox/ Mannion & Finan/ Donohoe & Curley
Byrne [Carthy], Keeffe/ Germaine, Butler/ McDermott, Giblin/ Lally, Dolan
Toole, Doran; Dowling, Grogan/ Reilly, Burke; Warren, Kidd [Lawless]/ Smith, Scally; Mangan, Rodgers/ Fahy, Calday; Staunton, Miller
Further generations:
Brophy Coleman Eathorn(e) Fahy Fitzpatrick Geraghty Haverty Keane Keogh Nowlan Rowe Walder

Offline farlington

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 11 September 13 08:30 BST (UK) »
Ive been looking at Athlone alot recently and not come across Kingston either. I would contact Athlone library on athlib(at)westmeathcoco.ie and reference the enquiry to Gearoid O'Brien, the senior librarian. He has written many books and articles on the history of Athlone and runs the local studies unit in the library.  Give him as much detail as you can, dates etc.

farlington

Offline Maystan

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 12 September 13 02:24 BST (UK) »
Thank you both farlington & myluck for your response.  I shall contact the library & see where this place could be.  :)

Offline KiwiHugh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 05 November 16 00:04 GMT (UK) »
Have you considered Kingston / Dun Loaghaire, the port town of Dublin?