Author Topic: The Co Clare CANNY family and their houses  (Read 8080 times)

Offline yt2

• RootsChat Member
  • Always happy to swap information - contact me
    • View Profile
The Co Clare CANNY family and their houses
« on: Wednesday 04 September 13 04:12 BST (UK) »
Hi there

I am a descendant of one of the Co Clare CANNY families along the following family line:

John Canny (b. 1700) -> Denis Canny (1780-1850) -> Matthew Canny (1810-1868) -> Denis Joseph Canny (1840-1928) -> and eventually to me.

My full tree is at http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?db=yt2

A number of people on this site and elsewhere have been extremely helpful to me over the years and have enabled me to locate and visit on more than one occasion some of the houses that were occupied by my branch of the Canny Clan. I greatly appreciate the expertise and the generosity of time of many Rootschatters that made these trips possible and I would like to try and repay the favour in some small way. 

I have produced a short (11 page) illustrated guide to assist other members of the clan find and visit 4 of the Canny houses that are still accessible. If you fit in to this branch of the clan and would like a copy, PM me and I'll email it to you - its more of a chatty letter with maps and photos than a professional polished travelogue, but it should help others follow in my footsteps.

It's only a small effort to repay the generosity shown to me ... but it's a genuine offer nonetheless.

Have fun, folks

Whitey

The photo below is of Clonmoney House ... located near Hurlers Cross

I live near Merimbula, NSW, Australia and am interested in the following families
White of Adelaide
Greene of Adelaide
Canny of Co Clare Ireland and Robe SA
Atkinson of Co Mayo Ireland
Ford of St Austell Cornwall and Burra SA
Gibbs of Oxfordshire and Cannington WA
Daley of Carlton Vic and Oaklands SA
McMahon of Marion SA
Denholm of Edinburgh Scotland and Lyndoch SA
Parkinson of Angaston SA

Offline Kennywoods

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
The Co Clare CANNY family
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 09 November 14 03:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I am descended from Michael Canny who died in Ennis, 1819, via his son Henry Canny, b Ennis 1805..

The family lived and married around Ennis and Limerick...

Michael Canny was the Distributor of Stamps and Commissioner of Affidavits - I wonder if perhaps in your research you came across the Canny family in Ennis?

Regards
David - Sydney

Offline yt2

• RootsChat Member
  • Always happy to swap information - contact me
    • View Profile
Re: The Co Clare CANNY family and their houses
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 01 October 15 10:30 BST (UK) »
Hi David

Sorry I have taken so long to respond ... I only spotted this entry today.

And it's bad news I'm afraid. There are 74 Canny names on my database at http://worldconnect.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=SHOW&db=yt2&recno=179 but I'm afraid there are no Michaels mentioned.

Good luck with your search ... mine has been a long and arduous exercise but extremely rewarding for the effort.

Whitey
I live near Merimbula, NSW, Australia and am interested in the following families
White of Adelaide
Greene of Adelaide
Canny of Co Clare Ireland and Robe SA
Atkinson of Co Mayo Ireland
Ford of St Austell Cornwall and Burra SA
Gibbs of Oxfordshire and Cannington WA
Daley of Carlton Vic and Oaklands SA
McMahon of Marion SA
Denholm of Edinburgh Scotland and Lyndoch SA
Parkinson of Angaston SA

Offline Hatslip

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 04 October 17 22:44 BST (UK) »
Hi Whitey,
I have a John Canney of Feacle who m. Margaret Leary in 1924 in Ennis, when both minors.  If m.cert correct his father was also called John.

Any connection?
Chapman, Jackman, Roche, Whelan, Hanton, Dee, Stafford, Leary, McGrath, Murphy, White, Hayes, Shudall.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline Hatslip

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 07 October 17 08:03 BST (UK) »
Thank you, but they married in 1924.  As his father was James there is a chance this is him aged 6 http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Clare/Feakle/Lecarrow__Upper/368601/
Chapman, Jackman, Roche, Whelan, Hanton, Dee, Stafford, Leary, McGrath, Murphy, White, Hayes, Shudall.

Offline maggbill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Francis McNab 1874 - 1932
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 07 October 17 09:43 BST (UK) »
Hi Whitey,

This is a long story, but you just might be interested re a possible link between "Canny" and "Kenney". 

Scottish records tell me that my great great aunt Jane McNab was married to a soldier, Michael Kenny, - they had a child Mary Kenny, and then Jane died in Glasgow in 1872.  After loads of research, help from Rootschatters and luck, I finally found Michael and Jane's marriage not in Glasgow, but in Thurles, Tipperary, Ireland, and the 1866 birth and baptism of child Mary also in Thurles.
The Irish marriage was hard to find as Michael was in fact named as Michael "Canny" and his father was named as John Canny, Farmer. Much to my shame, I was convinced that "Canny" was in fact a misspelling/anglicisation of "Kenny", not knowing that the name "Canny" even existed!!
I have military records for my Michael "Kenny" which show that he was born in Tulla, County Clare, possibly around 1830'ish.  Jane "Kenny" (McNab) having died and leaving the 5 year old Mary, and Michael having been posted overseas with army, we have then lost trace of the child Mary Kenny.  Michael was discharged from the Army in December 1873, saying he would reside in Limerick Ireland.  I think I have found the deaths of Janes parents (Francis and Mary McNab) in Co. Tyrone (their birthplace) around 1890, - where it would appear they had returned after some years in Glasgow Scotland.  Did they in fact take the young "Mary Kenny" back to Ireland?  They had applied for "Poor Law Relief" for her in Glasgow, but had been refused, possibly because she was in fact born in Thurles, Tipperary - not Scotland. So, the mystery of what happened to   "Mary Kenny/Kenney" -  ?  "Canny" remains.  Now that I have seen your post and website, I see the possibility of "Kenny/Kenney" being also "Canny".   Is this something you have come across in your research of the "Canny" family?  I doubt that there could be any distant link with my Michael from "Tulla" - is this a place you have come across?  I too live in Australia - have done so since 1962. 
Would love to hear what you think of the Kenny/Canny connection.
McNab, Kenney, Johnstone, Carrigan, (Cargan, Kirgan, Corrigan), Toll, Tracey, McNulty,  Reilly, Maguire, Loughlin, Banks, McGonagle, Forsyth, McDonald, Michael,  Kennedy, Bagnell, Cronan, Dunleavy, McMullan. -  Glasgow, Ireland, British Columbia Canada, Manchester New Hampshire USA.