Author Topic: Faulkner Family from Wicklow and Carlow  (Read 12561 times)

Offline BillW

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Faulkner Family from Wicklow and Carlow
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 29 June 17 06:57 BST (UK) »
Prominent Irish author Turtle Bunbury's family are related to the Butlers.  If you haven't already, do contact him; he is very approachable.  Find him by Google.
Turtle has done extensive research into my Halpin family of Wicklow and Dublin.  The Halpin family's solicitors were a firm, still existing, named Hone & Falkiner.  Although that is the accepted spelling, I think in earlier times it may also have been spelled Faulkner.

Offline Quicker

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 22 May 20 20:31 BST (UK) »
Hi Margaret.

I found your posting looking for an Ephraim Faulkner.  I have a Mary Faulkner, b.Ireland 1831, in Canada by 1851, who gives her father's name as Ephraim, and her mother as Catherine.  I find an Ephraim Faulkner who is a soldier in the British Army, 91st Foot born Bray, Wicklow; then served in Canada.  Injured and pensioned.  Unsure if this is the same Ephraim who is her father.  As you say, it is an unusual name.  I'd be glad to know if you have found anything further.

Roger Quick
YORKSHIRE  Addyman Athey Beevers Bramma Burton Bywater Camm Coldwell Cowburn Gaunt Gresham Hague Hendry Hobson Jordy Machin Morritt Morton Popplewell Pyne Standring Stott Swift Tattersfield Wallace Wrathmell

SUFFOLK  Fenner Levett Sargeant

NORFOLK Shearing Shinn

DEVON Lugg Potter Purchase Trickey Walters Woodman

CORNWALL  Mark Stacey Webb

KENT  Leigh Strudwick

LONDON  Trickey Cox

ESSSEX Sale/s

PEI/ONTARIO/MICHIGAN Burgoyne Pinkham Potter Quick Webb

IRELAND Pinkham, Faulkner

Offline bandc

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 23 May 20 15:44 BST (UK) »
Hi Roger,
Will take a look back through my (not very organised) records and see if I can see any connections. Do you have approx. dates for when that Ephraim Faulkner was in the British army and injured in Canada? as that might help me to see if he matches any of the Ephraim Faulkner's that appear in Co. Wicklow over a number of generations.

Offline bandc

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 23 May 20 16:53 BST (UK) »
Roger,
Forget to ask what religion was your Mary Falkner?, most of the Wicklow Faulkners were Church of Ireland, but found a few who were Roman Catholic, think they changed religion to marry a Catholic.

Offline Quicker

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 23 May 20 17:59 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your reply. 
MaryAnn Faulkner was born Ireland 1831, and was in Quebec by 1853, when she married James Pinkham (a Dubliner, also British army) and secondly married a Joseph Warder in 1879, where her parents are named as Ephraim and Catherine Faulkner.  Mary's wedding was Anglican, and she gives her religion on census as Church of England. (So = Church of Ireland).  Her first two children however were baptized Roman Catholic, others Anglican. 

So the Ephraim I am seeking married a Catherine. 
This MAY be the same one:
Enlisted into the British Army 29 Feb 1820 in Dublin (91st Regt of Foot).  Age 19.  Born Bray, Wicklow.  Labourer. He was discharged in Spanishtown, West Indies, June 1823, having been wounded and lost his right eye, poor lad.
This record is part of the "Canada, British Regimental Registers of Service" (Ancestry), which is the only connection I find to Canada so far.  The one I'm looking for was in Ireland for the birth of his daughter MaryAnn in 1831.

Another, different, Ephraim Faulkner is attested in Dublin in 1861.

Thank you for any help you are to offer.

Roger Quick
YORKSHIRE  Addyman Athey Beevers Bramma Burton Bywater Camm Coldwell Cowburn Gaunt Gresham Hague Hendry Hobson Jordy Machin Morritt Morton Popplewell Pyne Standring Stott Swift Tattersfield Wallace Wrathmell

SUFFOLK  Fenner Levett Sargeant

NORFOLK Shearing Shinn

DEVON Lugg Potter Purchase Trickey Walters Woodman

CORNWALL  Mark Stacey Webb

KENT  Leigh Strudwick

LONDON  Trickey Cox

ESSSEX Sale/s

PEI/ONTARIO/MICHIGAN Burgoyne Pinkham Potter Quick Webb

IRELAND Pinkham, Faulkner

Offline bandc

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 24 May 20 00:09 BST (UK) »
Hi Roger, while  I did not have any matches for your Ephraim and Catherine Faulkner in my existing records I have had a look around at on line sources and have found baptism records for Anne, Elizabeth and Catherine (b. 1820s - 1830s)born to an Ephraim and Catherine Faulkner with connections to the Kilternan parish in Co. Dublin. If you would like to  communicate directly with me on my email (*) I can share these records with you and any additional records/information I have on the Wicklow Faulkner family that may have connections  to the family you are trying to trace. Margaret

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.