Author Topic: Help Finding Arthur McKeown on 1911 Irish Census in Co. Antrim  (Read 10362 times)

Online scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
Re: Help Finding Arthur McKeown on 1911 Irish Census in Co. Antrim
« Reply #9 on: Friday 06 September 13 18:47 BST (UK) »
This basic summary might help you begin to understand Irish land divisions:

http://www.proni.gov.uk/index/local_history/areas_regions_and_land_divisions.htm

I would agree with Heywood's findings on Arthur. The townlands of Dreen and Tamlaght, both in Killoquin Upper D.E.D, Parish of Rasharkin, were neighbouring, so quite conceivable that he moved from one to the other after 1901.

The 1901 find is recorded as Killoquin North, but I believe North and Upper were one and the same place. The 1911 Census gives that Arthur as married 10 years, so fits well with the 1901 Arthur marrying after the 1901 Census.

The valuation revision books for Tamlaght, record an Arthur McKeown taking over as occupier from a Sarah McKeown in Tamlaght (albeit noted as in 1905, not in her death year of 1901). An Arthur also appears as taking over as occupier on a property in Dreen (previous occupier a Rev McAllister) in 1914.

There is a marriage index entry for an Arthur M'Keown possibly to a Catherine Ann M'Neil in Coleraine registration district in 1901.
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Online scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 06 September 13 19:50 BST (UK) »
I have discovered a potential living connection to the family recorded at Dreen for you. As living persons should not be discussed on the forum boards, I will send you a PM with his details. You could always then make contact and see if he knows any of his own family history and whether or not it links in with your family.

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

Offline rbouch8828

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 06 September 13 23:41 BST (UK) »
This is wonderful information and I had seen references to Tamlaght and Rasharkin and I had seen them together as Tamlaght Rasharkin. When I wrote to the church to obtain my grandmother Matilda McKeown's baptismal certificate (4th April 1880) it was written as St. Mary's Parish Rasharkin.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 06 September 13 23:43 BST (UK) »
Here's the church's website-
http://www.stmarysparishrasharkin.org/
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline rbouch8828

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 07 September 13 00:06 BST (UK) »
Thank you for the link to the parish. I see they have a centenary for downloading which I will print out.

Very much appreciated!

Online scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 07 September 13 09:26 BST (UK) »
Given that Arthur seems to have been from Scotland and married in Ireland, it is likely, that is if Sarah had not been living in Scotland and they married there, that he married in his wife's parish. With the link for McKeown to Tamlaght townland, have you considered the Scullion families in the same townland as potential links to Sarah? Certainly, at the time of the Griffiths valuation in mid 1800s,  as you may already have found, there were at least 3 male Scullions in Tamlaght and others in neighbouring townlands:

http://www.failteromhat.com/griffiths/antrim/rasharkin.htm

As you also may have already discovered, the 1851 census for Tamlaght townland is one of the few surviving for Ireland. There is no obvious sign of Arthur there nor, unfortunately, Sarah, albeit there are other Scullions. Always worth keeping it in mind though as may link in at some point.

On what records did you find Arthur's birthplace as Scotland? I ask, because I notice in Tamlaght at 1851 an Arthur McKeane and parents (mum Margaret), albeit born County Antrim, aged c25yrs, so born c 1826, so same year as your Arthur. I would not find it beyond the realms of possibility for McKeane to be a mistranscript/variation on McKeown, especially as there is no McKeane recorded in the Griffiths valuation for Tamlaght albeit there is an Arthur McKeown.  Perhaps worth giving further consideration to this given that your Arthur named a daughter Margaret.

http://www.searchforancestors.com/locality/ireland/census1851/rasharkin.html

Offline rbouch8828

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 07 September 13 14:48 BST (UK) »
The information regarding Arthur's birthplace came from my grandmother's statement in the US census where she reported his place of birth as Scotland and her mother's place of birth as Ireland.

Thank you for these other details though. This sounds like promising information. I will have to follow it up.

Thank you.

Offline rbouch8828

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 07 September 13 16:30 BST (UK) »
If you would be so kind, could you find a record of the family on the 1901 Census?

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 08 September 13 13:18 BST (UK) »
The Irish census website seems to be down at the moment. Have you seen the link for 1901 entry posted earlier in this thread? (won't work until site is back up)
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!