Author Topic: kirkintilloch  (Read 1566 times)

Offline lynne kathrine

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
kirkintilloch
« on: Thursday 05 September 13 21:57 BST (UK) »
 :)hi all

wondering if anyone has any idea about this place which I have no idea of its name..

Ok.. so its in Kirkintilloch and apparently a Doctor owned a big house with lots of grounds and it was situated on Belfield road, which the big house is no longer there.... I wonder did this house exist and if it did was it used as a lunatic asylum/poorhouse... or something more mysterious as children in the area thought it was rather spooky  ;).

Anyway if you are from the area and know anything about this place could you be so kind and let me know ...thank you x
Mcdonald-Munro-Mcintosh-Ross-McArter-Urquhart- Cruickshank-Hosack. Croll-Brown-Leckie-Medley. Melville-Hamilton-Bell
Paterson-Ewing-North-Munro-Kemp-Jack

Areas: (Highlands) Cromary and Ross-Sutherland-Dundee.Fife-Kirkintilloch-Lenoxtown. Belfast-Australia-New Zealand

Offline myyran

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: kirkintilloch
« Reply #1 on: Friday 06 September 13 21:01 BST (UK) »
Hi
If you go into the Lanarkshire county..someone may be able to help. Kirkintoloch left Dunbartonshire many years ago.
myyran
Stevenson,Wright,  Antrim, Armagh.
McGowan,McGregor, Wright, Alexandria.   Grattan, McCauley. Ireland

Online RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 06 September 13 21:43 BST (UK) »
Hi
If you go into the Lanarkshire county..someone may be able to help. Kirkintoloch left Dunbartonshire many years ago.
myyran

Although Kirkintilloch is currently in East Dunbartonshire at the time in question it was within Dunbartonshire.

The only record for a Poorhouse Facility in Kirkintilloch from http://www.workhouses.org.uk/Kirkintilloch/ is not at Bellfield Road but Southbank Road.

That said a lot would depend upon the ages of the people concerned (you haven't said in the Lanarkshire Board post) IF it was a child the Poor Commissioners would often send these children out to country houses ostensibly for their welfare but in reality more often as indentured servants as it was cheaper than keeping them in the Poorhouse.

Offline lynne kathrine

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 07 September 13 23:12 BST (UK) »
thank you to the both of you....

this is interesting about children... it is a child I am looking into with limited info... I was give that this child was in a lunatic asylum on belfield rd, 1850's being born 1847 about Mary J Ewing.
Mcdonald-Munro-Mcintosh-Ross-McArter-Urquhart- Cruickshank-Hosack. Croll-Brown-Leckie-Medley. Melville-Hamilton-Bell
Paterson-Ewing-North-Munro-Kemp-Jack

Areas: (Highlands) Cromary and Ross-Sutherland-Dundee.Fife-Kirkintilloch-Lenoxtown. Belfast-Australia-New Zealand