Author Topic: Jacob Toogood c1755  (Read 6151 times)

Offline johnxyz

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Jacob Toogood c1755
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 07 September 13 20:41 BST (UK) »
Looking at Joseph's known children:

Ann 1747
William 1749
Thomas 1752
Mary 1754
Catherine 1756
John 1760

it is a bit difficult to see where Jacob might fit in, either with your "about 1755" or the IGI's  "about 1753".

Offline johnxyz

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 08 September 13 14:55 BST (UK) »
After a bit more digging in IGI I'd add Elizabeth bapt Hanbury 6 Dec 1743 to the list of Joseph's children, mother given as Hannah. Marriage 8 Aug 1742 Kingsley.

A bit late as a marriage for Joseph baptism 1714 Burton?

But in the absence of any other possibilities, worth exploring the Burton Toogoods a bit more ? There are sufficient of them that Jacob could be Joseph's nephew?

Offline heatherjulie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 08 September 13 15:33 BST (UK) »
Was Jacob an apprentice in1768?

UK, Register of Duties Paid for Apprentices' Indentures, 1710-1811

Master's Name: Richd Chamberlain
Apprentice Name: Jacob Toogood
Residence Location: Tutbury, Staffordshire
Payment Date: 9 Jun 1768

Heather

Offline johnxyz

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 08 September 13 15:53 BST (UK) »
Looks very likely. I've downloaded the original - apprentice wheelwright.

Offline OlwenR

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 08 September 13 16:57 BST (UK) »
Hi John and Heather

Found Jacob's death, July 1832, I wondered where the 1753 came from - now I know! So I suppose he could squeeze in between Thomas and Mary, but why can't I find his baptism?

Re the Apprenticeship for Jacob, the timeline would be about right, I have no idea of his profession. Joseph Toogood (possible father) was shown as a Cordwainer. His son Thomas was apprenticed to Daniel Jackson a cordwainer of Bedworth, Warwicks in 1762.  So maybe the family came from around that area originally.

You've given me plenty to go at John, especially Elizabeth's birth and the marriage in Kingsley, looks like I need a few rainy days to keep me out of the garden as an excuse to keep digging inside!

Olwen

Offline johnxyz

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 09 September 13 10:24 BST (UK) »
Olwen

I had another look at this.

In addition to Joseph's daughter Elizabeth there are children for a Thomas Toogood at Hanbury in the same short period, 1742-1745. Also a Thomas at Tutbury, and further evidence from Staffordshire archives catalogue that a Thomas was around Tutbury 1746 & Scropton 1754.

May well be coincidence, but Joseph born Burton 1714 had a brother Thomas 1710.

John

Offline OlwenR

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 09 September 13 17:18 BST (UK) »
Hi John,

When I started looking for my Toogoods I thought it would be a lot easier than looking for my Jones family, how wrong can you be!

I found the Hanbury Thomas marrying Susanna Stafford in August 1742. Then the bap. of William 11 December 1742.  Strange thing is on the Tutbury records there is a William born to Thomas and Susannah who was baptised on 20 December 1742 - I wonder if they are the same family. No other record for them or other children in Tutbury.  But I see they were back in Hanbury for the birth of Thomas in 1745.

Found a few Jacobus and Jacobi round Tatenhill but the dates are too early to connect with....yet.

Olwen

Offline johnxyz

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 09 September 13 18:57 BST (UK) »
I'd noted the rather odd baptism records. I'd like to check the originals to see if either gives place of residence - I suspect it's a case of 2 baptisms for the same child.

Thomas and Susannah were buried at Scropton 1764 & 1766. There is also a christening at Scropton of Ann daughter of Ann, 1765. That may be the Ann d of Thomas & Susannah bapt 1744 Hanbury.

All above data from IGI.

Searching the Staffordshire Archives on-line catalogue for toogood also gives evidence for Thomas & "Hannah" in Tutbury in 1746. (Result has a horrendous url which doesn't seem to want to shrink).

Not sure whether it's leading us towards the elusive Jacob, but it is encouraging that Jacob appears earlier in the family.

Offline trace99

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 10 September 13 18:07 BST (UK) »
Hi all, have been chatting with Olwen, as we`re both researching Jacob.  I`ve found a record for Joseph Toogood marrying Hannah Smith Kingsley staffs.  It has the word sojourner, am I being thick, does anyone know what this is.  In some of my old notes the wheel wright rings a bell so will check to see if I can find the record.
The other record I have found is in Hilton in Dorset,
John Dodson Toogood bap. 26 Feb 1753 base born son of Anne Toogood of Maiden Newton.
This is the only Toogood I`ve found with the date 1753.
Is there a possibility hes changed his name to Jacob and moved to Staffs.

Am I being too fanciful

Wendy