Author Topic: Lena Aloa Davis  (Read 2944 times)

Offline murton

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Lena Aloa Davis
« on: Saturday 07 September 13 13:51 BST (UK) »
I have been researching the service details of the above lady who was a Nursing Sister in the Canadian Army Nursing Service. She died, in service, in the United Kingdom on 21st February 1918 and is buried in Sherborne St, John, Churchyard, Hampshire, England.

Whilst I have a reasonable amount of detail regarding her military service I am lacking details of her earlier life. Apart from the fact that she was born on 30th July 1885 in Beamsville, Clinton Township, Ontario, Canada. Lived with her sister Emma Davis at 544 Clinton Street, Toronto; whom she named as her next-of-kin on her Attestation Paper (no reference to parents) and was a Professional Nurse. That is all that I have for her pre-service days.

Would be most grateful for any tit-bits that would help to fill this pre-war gap particularly her civilian nursing service, I am also intrigued as to the lack of information regarding her parents. Her mother was certainly alive at the end of the war as she is recorded as having received Lena’s Memorial Plaque, Scroll and Memorial Cross.

My thanks in anticipation of your assistance.

Tony

Offline cosmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Lena Aloa Davis
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 07 September 13 16:21 BST (UK) »
Lena's parents were David Davis and Martha Jane Kitchen.  They married 25 Apr 1872 at Beamsville.  David was born, according to the 1901 census, 20 Jan 1844 and his place of birth was recorded on his marriage as Clinton township.  David died 30 Apr 1914 at age 70 at Beamsville.  His occupation was listed as farmer although at the births of 2 of his daughters he was listed as a builder.  Martha Jane was born 06 Jun(? ) 1843, at Grimsby, Ontario.    Martha's parents were Jacob and Jane Kitchen and David's were Robert Davis and Sarah Ann Teeter.

The Lincoln Public library has a BMD database that shows a death for Martha Jane Davis 09/05/1951 - this is probably the date of an announcement in a newspaper as they show the death of Emma Jane Davis, Lena's sister, as 14/07/1920 and her actual date of death was 11/07/1920.  Emma Jane died in Beamsville and her death registration showed that she had been a school teacher.

Lena's brother was Robert Loyal Davis b. 15 Oct 1879 and died 13 Oct 1928 at Beamsville.  He married Mary Ina Hixon 28 Dec 1914 at Beamsville.  Mary Ina died around 12/02/1981.  The OCFA index shows the Davis family interred in the Mt. Osborne Municipal Cemetery, Beamsville, Clinton Township, Lincoln County.

Offline cosmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 07 September 13 16:23 BST (UK) »
There was another sister, Mary Alice, b. 1880 who married Benjamin W.N. Grigg 24 Sep 1907 at Beamsville.  Before marrying she had been a school teacher.  On the 1901 census there is a Minnie Davis with the family with a birth of 07 Jan 1874.  Not sure if Mary Alice and Minnie are different sisters or one and the same.

added:
death of Mary Alice Grigg b. 04 Jan 1874 Beamsville
d. 13 Dec 1933 Waterloo, Ontario    d/o David Davis and Martha Kitchen.
It would appear that Mary Alice was known as Minnie

Offline murton

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 07 September 13 19:30 BST (UK) »
cosmac

Most grateful that adds a bit more interest to Lena's profile
Tony

Offline murton

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 08 September 13 11:21 BST (UK) »
Cosmac

I don't doubt what you say but if these dates are correct -  Martha Jane was born 06 Jun(? ) 1843, at Grimsby, Ontario. - death for Martha Jane Davis 09/05/1951 - Martha Jane would have been 108 when she died which, although not unusual today in those days must have been a very newsworthy event.

Tony

Offline cosmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 08 September 13 16:21 BST (UK) »
Always doubt the improbable.  Obviously my search of ancestry didn't pick up the real death of Martha Jane Davis (nee Kitchen)  on 12 July 1927 at Beamsville.  She died at 84 and her birth was 06 Jun 1843.  Parents Jacob Kitchen and Jane Dennis.  Cause of death was a fracture of the neck of the femur and acute gastritis.  The Lincoln genealogy BMD index does have the proper reference to the death of Martha Jane in 1927!!

Offline murton

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 08 September 13 19:14 BST (UK) »
Thanks cosmac
Fortunately I doubted the improbable.
Tony

Offline Jacquie in Canada

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Canadian, eh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 08 September 13 19:22 BST (UK) »
Always doubt the improbable.  Obviously my search of ancestry didn't pick up the real death of Martha Jane Davis (nee Kitchen)  on 12 July 1927 at Beamsville.  She died at 84 and her birth was 06 Jun 1843.  Parents Jacob Kitchen and Jane Dennis.  Cause of death was a fracture of the neck of the femur and acute gastritis.  The Lincoln genealogy BMD index does have the proper reference to the death of Martha Jane in 1927!!

?? The Ontario death database at Ancestry has her date of death as 12 Jul 1927 as well. Your original post said the library database had the 1951 date.

Jacquie
Canada: Patterson, Brown, Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Johnston(e), Gorsuch, Kitchin/Kitchen
United States: Patterson, Smith, Brown, Vance, Bower(s), Newberry, Best, Love, Gorsuch
England (Northumberland): Brown, Whitfield, Henderson
Scotland (Glasgow, Edinburgh, Fife, East Lothian): Johnston(e), Bell, Galloway, Campbell, Robertson, Williamson, Thomson, Crawford
Germans from Russia: Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Meach, Lorenz

Offline cosmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 09 September 13 03:27 BST (UK) »
There is another Martha Jane Davis with a death in 1951 in the Lincoln library database.  When I originally searched with the Kitchen surname added it didn't kick back the result for the 1927 death which does show Kitchen as an additional name.  My mistake, my misguided assumption and stupidity for not realizing how odd a death in 1951 would have been given her birth year.