Author Topic: Mary Ann Warrington - a brick wall  (Read 2501 times)

Offline ggrocott

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I will find them eventually!
    • View Profile
Mary Ann Warrington - a brick wall
« on: Saturday 07 September 13 18:58 BST (UK) »
Mary Ann Warrington was my gggrandmother and I would very much like to find her parents.

On 2nd September 1850 she married Benjamin Holloway at St Mary's Paddington.  She is shown as a minor, father Thomas Warrington, ropemaker.  Witnesses Thomas Madden and Joanna Sullivan. 

The 1851 census shows her age 22 born Marylebone, with Benjamin at 9 Parker Place, St Pancras. 

In 1861 she has only aged 8 years (age 30 still born Marylebone) and is with Benjamin and two children John and Sarah at 51 Tower Street where the family stay for the next 20 years.

In 1871 she is 41 still born Marylebone son John has disappeared but there is now a daughter Mary Ann and two more sons George and Benjamin. 

By 1881 she has aged dramatically and is now 55 but still born Marylebone and  has two more children Emma age 8 and Thomas age 5, both born Southwark.

I'm not sure if I have found her in 1891 - I have found a Mary Ann Holloway a married tailoress with two children Emma age 18 and Thomas age 15 but this one is born Walworth as are the children and her age is shown as 66.  The address is 38 Wooton Street, Lambeth.  Also not sure if I have found Benjamin her husband in the Christchurch workhouse.

Also not sure if I have found her in 1901 age 66 born West End, London at 65 Palmerston Street, Battersea with a grandson Charles W Holloway age 18.  I have not found her death but I think I may have found Benjamin's in 1898 in the Camberwell workhouse.

I have found a possible baptism - right father, wrong place, possibly right date

Mary Ann Warrington daughter of Thomas and Sarah Warrington baptised 2 Jan 1826, St Leonards, Shoreditch born 25 November 1825 per IGI pilotsearch.

I have also found a baptism in 1828 for James Warrington son of Thomas and Mary Warrington of Ship Street (Thomas sailmaker) in the London baptisms and a marriage for Thomas Warrington and Mary Ann Box in 1826 at St Martin in the Fields on the IGI.

In the burial records for St Mary-le-bone there are also burials for a William Warrington, a child, address Adam Street West  in 1828 (5th June), a child Theresa Warrington on 17 December 1819, two Elizabeth Warringtons both children, in 1823 and 1826 (address Molyneux Street). 

I have also found Mary Warrington age 2 address Ship Street was buried on 4 August 1830 at St George in the East.

Unfortunately I am not sure that any of these refer to my Mary Ann and Thomas, can anyone out there help me?!!

Any comments or suggestions gratefully received.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Tagg, Bowyer (Berkshire/Surrey), Adams, Small, Pratt, Coles, Stevens, Cox (Bucks), Grocott, Slater, Dean, Hill (Staffs/Shropshire), Holloway, Flint, Warrington,Turnbull (London), Montague, Barrett (Herts), Hayward (Kent), Gallon, Knight, Ede, Tribe, Bunn, Northeast, Nicholds (Sussex) Penduck, Pinnell, Yeeles (Gloucs), Johns (Monmouth and Devon), Head (Bath), Tedbury, Bowyer (Somerset), Chapman, Barrett (Herts/Essex)

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
Re: Mary Ann Warrington - a brick wall
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 07 September 13 20:13 BST (UK) »
born 25 November 1825

I think this is too early, if she is shown as a minor on her marriage certificate in 1850 the earliest she could have been born was 1829.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ggrocott

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 09 September 13 10:22 BST (UK) »
Yes, groom, I thought that too but a bit thrown by the ages she gives - women don't normally make themselves older than they really are!

Tagg, Bowyer (Berkshire/Surrey), Adams, Small, Pratt, Coles, Stevens, Cox (Bucks), Grocott, Slater, Dean, Hill (Staffs/Shropshire), Holloway, Flint, Warrington,Turnbull (London), Montague, Barrett (Herts), Hayward (Kent), Gallon, Knight, Ede, Tribe, Bunn, Northeast, Nicholds (Sussex) Penduck, Pinnell, Yeeles (Gloucs), Johns (Monmouth and Devon), Head (Bath), Tedbury, Bowyer (Somerset), Chapman, Barrett (Herts/Essex)

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 09 September 13 11:38 BST (UK) »
Looking at your first post, it is the last two censuses I'd be worried about. Have you tried looking for those people in earlier censuses to rule out that they are not a different family?

The 1851 census fits with her being a minor at her marriage. I don't see why she would have claimed this on her marriage certificate if she was over 21 - it was usually the other way round. As a minor she would have needed permission to marry.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ggrocott

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 09 September 13 14:47 BST (UK) »
Totally agree about doubting the 1891 but pretty sure the 1881 is her:

She is at the same address (51 Tower Street, Southwark) as in 1861 and 1871 with a husband whose details are consistent with 1861 and 1871 and children Mary A. Holloway 18, Benjamin Holloway 12, George Holloway 10, Emma Holloway 8, Thomas Holloway 5. The first three tie up with 1871 children Mary Ann Holloway 8, Benjn Holloway 2, Geo Holloway 1 and her occupation, tailoress, is also consistent with 1871 - it is just her age that isn't.  The consistencies re. the last two children and the occupation make me think the 1891 is also probably her although she has now changed her place of birth as well as the date and Benjamin is 'elsewhere'.

Confused!

Gill

Offline ggrocott

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Mary Ann Warrington of Waddington - a brick wall
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 15 January 19 13:12 GMT (UK) »
Still looking for help with this lady and the mystery has deepened.

I have been looking through the births of her children checking mother's maiden name

John Edward Holloway 1852 mmn Waddington
Sarah 1859 mmn Waddington
Mary Ann 1863 mmn Waddington
Alice Elizabeth 1867 mmn Waddington
Benjamin 1868 mmn Warrington
George 1870 mmn Waddington
Emma 1873 mmn Warrington
Thomas 1876 mmn Waddington

I also have a DNA match with someone with Waddington in their ancestry.

So it looks as if I may be looking for Mary Ann Waddington daughter of Thomas Waddington, ropemaker.  Born about 1830 (maybe)!

I have found a
Mary Anne Waddington in 1841
St Leonard Shoreditch, Middlesex, England
Eagle Terrace 
Birth
Middlesex
Registration District
Shoreditch
HO107 Piece/Folio 707/5
Affiliate Record Type
Institution

Unfortunately since I don't currently have a subscription to FindMyPast or Ancestry I cannot check the details atm, will do so when I can get to the library.

I have never been able to find her future husband Benjamin Holloway in 1841 - he is not with the rest of the family in Hunt Street, Stepney.  At the time of his marriage to Mary Ann in 1850 he is shown as a cabinet maker although in  1851 he is a french polisher, so he is probably elsewhere as an apprentice but I have not managed to track him down.

I have a couple of possibilities for Thomas Warrington/Waddington but no mention of a ropemaker

Thomas Waddington
England and Wales Census, 1851
Bethnal Green, Middlesex, England
Anns Place
Marital Status:
Married
Carpenter
Relationship to Head of Household:
Head
Birth Year (Estimated):
Birthplace: Middlesex
HO107 Piece/Folio:1539 / 596
Wife Ann and daughter Sarah

Probably this one

Thos Waddington
England and Wales Census, 1841
Name
Thos Waddington
St Mary Lambeth, Surrey, England
Alfred Street
Page Number17, Registration Number HO107, Piece/Folio1055/33
Probable wife Ann

And another one in 1841

Thos Waddington
St Pancras, Middlesex, England
Swinton Street
Page Number:15, Registration Number:HO107, Piece/Folio:682/10
Probable wife Eliza

If anyone can help me to find Thomas Warrington/Waddington a ropemaker with a daughter Mary Anne, or Benjamin Holloway in 1841 I should be most grateful.

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 15 January 19 20:59 GMT (UK) »
A Mary Waddington b.20/3/1830, bp.11/4/1830 St. Marylebone, dau. of Thomas Waddington and wife Sarah, of Ogle Street.   For occupation of Thomas it simply says 'Trade'.   I cannot see any other children baptised to this couple.

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 15 January 19 21:19 GMT (UK) »
Thomas Waddington married Sarah Bailey 14/12/1828 St. Marylebone - both single and both signed.  Witnesses Elizabeth Bailey and Wm. ……… (can't read).

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Offline ggrocott

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 15 January 19 23:40 GMT (UK) »
Thank you,  I have also just found in 1841

Thomas Warrington Age  55
St Marylebone
Born out of county no occupation given HO107/0679/2/F10. Wife Sarah age 45 born out of county.