Author Topic: SEYMOUR/SEYMORE Canal Boat family  (Read 926 times)

Offline spellweaver

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
SEYMOUR/SEYMORE Canal Boat family
« on: Wednesday 11 September 13 17:12 BST (UK) »
Hi
Trying to find if there are links between the Seymour/Seymore canal boat families plying their trade on the canals in the early 19th century.
From Wolverhampton I have Richard Seymour b c 1803 - this is my direct line.
From Worcester, Jacob Seymour and his children.  IGI has Jacob born in Redditch in 1801, son of John and Mary Seymour.  There do not appear to be any other Seymour baptisms in Redditch.
From Oxford I have John Seymour b c 1837.
If anyone could find a birth record for John Seymour of Oxford, I would be very grateful.  I believe he may also have had a brother called Richard, but cannot at present confirm this.
I have also found a burial in Worcester, date 1839 for a Mary Seymour and wonder if anyone has access to the parish records there and could tell me Mary's age at death - could she have been Jacob's mother?
Any help - or, for that matter, anyone with links to the Seymours - appreciated.

Canal families on my tree:
Hinman/Inman, Seymour/Seymore, Compton/Crompton, Musson, Fradley, Wood, Harrison, Salt, Statham, Lunt, Clegg, Wood, Turton, Swift, Willington, Northwood, Webberley

Offline Martin seymour

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: SEYMOUR/SEYMORE Canal Boat family
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 11 September 21 00:31 BST (UK) »
I have Compton, wood, Harrison, Lunt, clegg, swift and Northwood within my DNA not sure where from though but I know my direct Seymour's were Yorkshire.

Offline jane harrison

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 11 September 21 20:51 BST (UK) »
I have Compton, wood, Harrison, Lunt, clegg, swift and Northwood within my DNA not sure where from though but I know my direct Seymour's were Yorkshire.
Martin i was born into the Harrison canal boating family have wood & clegg with my many family connections the seymour that i knew settled in West Drayton /Yewsley area but have no address but know some of todays generation moved to the south coast

Offline Martin seymour

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 11 September 21 22:09 BST (UK) »
Hi Jane where is West Drayton?? I know some by the looks were Bradford, Halifax and Leeds area my gran by looks was married to a Joseph Butterfield and Clara broadbent by what i have been informed which I have got to get certificates for to make sure so can move forward. Of this is correct I think Joseph's patents were a Joshua Butterfield and Sarah?? Not sure of last name as comes up Butterfield also so not sure if that one is will have to get paperwork for that one also. X

Offline jane harrison

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 11 September 21 22:12 BST (UK) »
Martin i was born into the Harrison canal boating family have wood & clegg with my many family connections the seymour that i knew settled in West Drayton /Yewsley area but have no address but know some of todays generation moved to the south coast
West Drayton middlesex is a few miles from Heathrow airport in one direction & Uxbridge in the other

Offline Martin seymour

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 11 September 21 22:23 BST (UK) »
Right sorry didn't know was Middlesex my stepdads brother stayed there at Brentford so used to go in holidays x

Offline jane harrison

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 11 September 21 23:01 BST (UK) »
Hello Spellweaver hope you are well. The only connection i have found to date is connected to my Humphries boatpeople = a John baptised in St Thomas parish Oxford feb 1936 son of John a Waterman & Sophia  surname on baptism is spelt Seymore this John Married a Fanny Humphries in Oxford 1858 &  looks to be the one that died in 1858 age 33

Offline jane harrison

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 12 September 21 07:47 BST (UK) »
Right sorry didn't know was Middlesex my stepdads brother stayed there at Brentford so used to go in holidays x   was your stepdad from a boating family if so what was his surname ?as Brentford being the start of the canal was a v buzy canal area in its time i have my grandad g reat & 2x great grandads in Brentford in census working the boats many of my Harrisons & connections born & married & buried in the area