Author Topic: cecils blacksmiths of Goodrich  (Read 4810 times)

Offline Luaperom

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
cecils blacksmiths of Goodrich
« on: Wednesday 11 September 13 22:10 BST (UK) »
At the age of 65 I have just found that my birth mother was a Cecil. She was directly related through the male line to the Cecils who were blacksmiths in the village of Goodrich. I have found the following information:
  Thomas Cecil (1833 - 1882) married to Elizabeth (born 1830/1 Penhamlt Monmouthshire)
  On his death the forge passed to his son George:

Thomas was in turn the son of another:
  Thomas Cecil (1801- ) married Elizabeth (1811- ) both possible from LLangarran

Has anyone found information about this family, especially the earlier generation, it would be of great help

Thanks   

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: cecils blacksmiths of Goodrich
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 11 September 13 23:16 BST (UK) »
:

Thomas was in turn the son of another:
  Thomas Cecil (1801- ) married Elizabeth (1811- ) both possible from LLangarran

Thanks   

Hello and welcome to RootsChat
It seems (if I have the correct family) Thomas was b Dixton Monmouthshire - 1841 they were living in llangarran- and all gave "Yes" = b in Herefordshire
1851 tell a different tale

Llangarran Herefordshire
Langunnod Shop?
Thomas Cecil 41 Blacksmith yes
Thomas 9 yes
John 2 yes
Elizabeth 30 yes
Ann 5 yes
Elizabeth Parry 13 F.S. yes
Wm Probert 18 J Blacksmith no
HO107 431 8 4 25

Jennings Block?
Llanrothel Hereford
Thomas Cecil Head M 50 Blacksmith employing 1 Blacksmith Journeyman & Farmer of 80 acres employing 1 indoor lab  Dixton Monmouth
Elizabeth wife M 40 Welsh Newton Hereford
Thomas son U 18 Blacksmith's Journeyman
Ann daughter 15
John son 12
Joseph Vaughan Uservant  30 ag lab
children & ag lab b Welsh Newton Hereford
HO107 2444 471 1

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 11 September 13 23:21 BST (UK) »
this looks like Thomas' probate
24 July 1865
The Will of Thomas Cecil late of Llanrothel in the county of Hereford Farmer deceased who died 9 April 1865 at Parkside Farm Llanrothel aforesaid was proved at the Principal Registry bt the oaths of Elizabeth cecil of Llanrothel aforesaid widow the Relict james Roberts of the Maypole in the parish of Rockfield in the county of Monmouth Farmer & William Higgins of Over Monnow in the county of Monmouth aforesaid Grocer the Executors
Effects under £300

(I haven't omitted punctuation there is none on the record!)

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England

Offline Luaperom

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 13 September 13 18:48 BST (UK) »
Thanks Suz, both for the confirmation and the extra census data. It looks like I need to visit LLangarran to chase the family back any further.

As someone who is new to all this two questions spring to mind.
  How do you begin to trace wills and probate?
  What does your reference: "HO107 2444 471 1"  mean.

Thanks again

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 14 September 13 00:48 BST (UK) »
Familysearch.org shows that Thomas Cecil married Elizabeth Parry 21/10/1833 All Saints, Hereford.

However, I note that son Thomas was bp.15/7/1832 Welsh Newton over 12 months before his parents married.   Perhaps this is why they married in Hereford itself.

Thomas Sisel (?) bp.19/4/1801 Dixton-Newton, Monmouthshire, son of Thomas/Esther (couldn't find any other baptisms to Thomas and Esther).

Cannot find a marriage for Thomas and Esther but have found a marriage of a Thomas Cecil of Dixton, who married Elizabeth Dance of Monmouth 19/10/1802 Dixton, Monmouthshire.   However no status of the bride and groom is given so perhaps Esther died at/shortly after son Thomas' birth and this is a remarriage for Thomas.

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 14 September 13 01:25 BST (UK) »
This could be the baptism of the eldest Thomas (father of Thomas 1801):

Thomas Siscell bp.7/5/1775 Dixton-Newton, Monmouth, son of Thomas and Mary.

Again, I can't find any other baptisms to Thomas/Mary.    This again is on familysearch.org - however, a ward of warning - although Monmouthshire is in Wales, records for Dixton-Newton, Monmouth have been entered under England for some reason.

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Offline Luaperom

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 14 September 13 16:51 BST (UK) »
Thanks Annette7.
I have followed Elizabeth (b 1811) through the census from 1841 to 1891, mostly resident at Parkside Farm (80 acres). Thomas (b 1801) seems to die after 1861. The ages of Ann and John, her children who are still living with her vary getting younger by 3 or 4 years from one census to another so poor old Elizabeth seems to be getting a little forgetful. However, in the 1871 census she is joined by her brother, now a widower named as Thomas Parry (b 1827 Llanrothel) !! So your link to the Parrys seems to be supported.

The Cecil - Sisel - Siscell variation also makes sense if the name was being recorded from the spoken name.

Thanks for the leads.  -  Luaperom

Offline JACK GEE

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 23 December 19 01:42 GMT (UK) »
Hello folkes. Anyone with the names Cecil and/or Parry reading this old post who would like to explore the possibilities of an American migration, attachment to William Cecil - Lord Bughley please Pm me or add a post on this page. Other names that maybe attached to Cecil/Parry are - Gilbert, Word, Harris, Webb, Howells,  Winston & Hyatt.

cheers
Jack Gee
GILBERT-ShirehamptonEng-Vic/Australia,HERWEG-WoltwiescheGERmany-Vic/Aust,CREIGHTON-Donegal-NI,Gosforth/CumbriaEng-Vic/Aust,MCCLURE-Cloghroe/KillynureDonegal NI,Vic/Aust,PATULLO-StMadoesPerthshire-Vic/Aust,NICHOLAS-Nth CheritonEng/Vic Aust,COX-ShirehamptonEng,FORD-MidsomerNortonEng,THOMAS-Pilton/Devon,EDWARDS-Bristol/Eng,BOND-Norfolk,NAU-Germany,SINGLETON-MuncasterEng,LADLAY-GosforthEng,JOHNSTONE-BalmerinoFife, TEMPLE-StranorlarNI,GRAHAM,CRAIGIE,HALL,HANNAM,GINGELL,HALE,OSMAN,BRITTON,HARVEY,ALLEN