Author Topic: Rolfe Marriage  (Read 10405 times)

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Rolfe Marriage
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 14 September 13 22:27 BST (UK) »
In 1841 they are shown as Rofe - all b Cambridge.  William Rolfe and family again living next door

John 60 agric labourer
Mary 55
Richard 30
Henry 25
HO107 Piece 67/4 Folio 10 Page 15

Deaths September qtr 1843
John Rolfe   Chesterton  14 21

See my earlier reply re: burial details/birthyear.  It would appear he was the son of William & Ann as per baptismal details shown above
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline poohatbarton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 15 September 13 13:05 BST (UK) »
Thankyou everyone for your help, I knew the answer was there but with that family having no imagination with names and all using the same ones I couldnt see the wood for the trees

Thanks
P@B

Offline Dulverton

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Fulbourn Births, Marriages or Burials
« Reply #11 on: Friday 13 February 15 23:45 GMT (UK) »
The family spelt their surname ROLPH or ROLFE!

My conundrum relates to the parents of a Sarah Rolfe
One was baptised in August 1800 and the other March 1806.

One Sarah married John Ogram (1821) and the other Sarah married William Mason (1825)

I have failed to identify the names of the parents!
Surely William & Mary Rolfe (nee Preston) must fit somewhere!

Mary Hart was a daughter of John & Alice Hart (nee Clarke) she married 1799 John Rolph s of William & Ann Rolph (nee Unknown)......I think

Can someone help please?

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 14 February 15 08:16 GMT (UK) »
Both baptisms are on the IGI, albeit as member submissions, but the later one is on the Baptism Index 1801-37 at http://www.cfhs.org.uk/searchsd.cfm and they're also on Freereg at http://www.freereg.org.uk/cgi/Search.pl . The parents of both Sarahs were William and Mary, but there appear to have been two William and Marys in Fulbourn. William Rolfe and Mary Preston married on 14 Jul 1794, and William Rolfe widower married Mary Shearman widow on 6 Nov 1803,  but I don't think he was the William who married Mary Preston as the first Sarah's father was William junior, and the second's father was William senior. Perhaps the two Williams were father and son, although senior and junior merely means that one was older than the other, not necessarily that they were father and son. So the 1800 Sarah was the daughter of Mary Preston, and as I can't see that the 1800 Sarah was buried before 1806, on the face of it the 1806 Sarah was the daughter of Mary Shearman.

As the 1806 Sarah would have been a bit young to have married in 1821 it looks as though the 1800 Sarah should have married John Ogram in 1821 and the 1806 Sarah married William Mason. And sure enough in 1851 Sarah Ogram gave her age as 50, and Sarah Mason as 45. QED. That's not a conundrum!

What are you looking for with Mary Hart?

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Beds:   Cople: Luke/Spencer
            Everton: Hale
            Henlow: Cooper/Watts/Sabey/Rook
            Potton:  Merrill
            Southill: Faulkner/Litchfield/Sabey/Rook
            Woburn/Husborne Crawley: Surkitt
Hunts:   Gt Gransden: Merrill/Chandler/Medlock
            Toseland: Surkitt/Hedge/Corn         
Cambs: Bourn: Bowd
            Eltisley: Medlock
            Graveley: Ford/Revell

Offline Dulverton

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Fulbourn Rolfe Marriages et al
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 14 February 15 12:17 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so very much for your prompt and precise reply to my enquiry.
It was also very kind of you to cross refer your findings with the census records.

It was a conundrum for me as I was not aware of the marriage of William Rolfe (widower)
 to Mary Shearman/Bearman (widow) on the 6th November 1803 Fulbourn St Vigor!
The marriage was witnessed by Wm L Harvey & Chas Dawson
(n.b Chas was a regularly witness to many Fulbourn marriages!)

I have attempted to trace previous marriages for both William & Mary and have failed!
Too many marriages for men named William Mason and only one definitive burial occurring in Fulbourn (1846 William aged 78?)!

To throw an iron in the works a Mary Shearman (single) married William Harris October 24 1815 All Saints.
Oddly the marriage was witnessed by Susan ROLFE & John KIRK!

I think that I had better have another drink before mentioning the Hart family of Fulbourn.
I expect that you are aware that the Hart family are connected by marriage with the Rolfe, Mason, Shildrick, Littlechild & Hancock families...where will it end?
Too much inbreeding as my Grandma used to say!

By the way John Littlechild married 3 times;
Elizabeth Miller
Mary Hart
Sarah Adam

Littlechild hunters may wish to try Ray Millar's site at http://www.raymillar.co.uk/getperson.php?personID=I16274&tree=Eday1

Thank you again for all the bother that you have gone to on my behalf......I may return!!!!

Offline Dulverton

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: William Rolfe & Mary Shearman of Fulbourn
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 18 February 15 09:25 GMT (UK) »
I have since discovered that two "Rolfe" sisters were buried within 6 days of each other at All Saints Churchyard, Fulbourn as per the parish burial records.
They were;
Susan RULE of Cambridge 79 years buried May 15th 1879 - wife of Benjamin Rule

Sarah OGRAM of Fulbourn 75 years buried May 21st 1879 - wife of John Ogram

I have assumed that these girls were the daughters of William Rolfe & Mary Shearman and were NOT born to William Rolfe & Mary Preston

Offline poohatbarton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 19 February 15 10:53 GMT (UK) »
I understand that these two girls are infact daughters of William M Rolph jnr and Mary Preston

Offline Dulverton

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: William & Mary Rolfe (nee Preston & Shearman) of Fulbourn
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 19 February 15 11:47 GMT (UK) »
I understand that these two girls are infact daughters of William M Rolph jnr and Mary Preston
Thank you for your thoughts on the matter. Many moons ago, I thought like you!
Have you read  "bedfordshire boy" response to my enquiry of the 14th February? Is his logic flawed?

It was when I was going through the Fulbourn burial transcripts, that I came across the note about the Rolfe girls, Susanna & Sarah being sisters.
n.b The sexton or priest could have been mistaken...unlikely methinks!

The flaw in "BB's" logic is that Susanna & Sarah were baptised in 1796 & 1800 a few years before William & Mary Rolfe (nee Shearman) were married in November 1803!

Such errors occur when researchers rely on others supplying just "names".

Many of the possible "Rolfe" children were shown as being the s or d to a William (jnr) when baptised.

Is there anybody out there with the definitive names of the children born to William & Mary Rolfe (nee Preston) M 1794 (did they have a total of 9 children?) and to William & Mary Rolfe (nee Shearman) M 1803 (were they childless?)?

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 19 February 15 14:12 GMT (UK) »
"Definitive" can only come from analysing the parish register for baptisms.

I have assumed that these girls were the daughters of William Rolfe & Mary Shearman and were NOT born to William Rolfe & Mary Preston

Why on earth anyone would make this assumption totally escapes me, as it clearly did Poohatbarton, as I think it is totally erroneous.

Poohatbarton's response was to your post that Susan Rule and Sarah Ogle were sisters. They were, daughters of William Rolfe and Mary Preston. We weren't asked for, nor did I look at Susan Rolfe. We were asked to separate the two Sarah Rolfes. Which I did. Sarah Rolfe who married Mr Ogle was the daughter of William Rolfe junior (and Mary Preston). Sarah Rolfe who married Mr Mason was the daughter of William Rolfe senior (and Mary Shearman) per the Freereg transcription of the PR .

Of course Susan and Sarah bap 1800 were both daughters of William and Mary (Preston). Didn't I write that Sarah 1800 was the daughter of Mary Preston? Please explain where you think my logic is flawed.

Such errors occur when researchers rely on others supplying just "names". 

If this is aimed at me, which it appears to be, then it's a ******* insult.

Suggest you read through what I wrote, slowly, carefully. Nothing I wrote was illogical, nor is it at variance with what either you or Poohatbarton has since written, other than your patently flawed assumption that Susan and Sarah were the daughters of Mary Shearman.

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Beds:   Cople: Luke/Spencer
            Everton: Hale
            Henlow: Cooper/Watts/Sabey/Rook
            Potton:  Merrill
            Southill: Faulkner/Litchfield/Sabey/Rook
            Woburn/Husborne Crawley: Surkitt
Hunts:   Gt Gransden: Merrill/Chandler/Medlock
            Toseland: Surkitt/Hedge/Corn         
Cambs: Bourn: Bowd
            Eltisley: Medlock
            Graveley: Ford/Revell