Author Topic: "Absenting' from military service  (Read 3309 times)

Offline hasta

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
"Absenting' from military service
« on: Sunday 15 September 13 01:44 BST (UK) »
Hi all.
I am looking at a man who was charged in court with 'absenting himself from military service' in 1915. He was Irish and fulfilling a contract with his company in Scotland when he was drafted.
My question is would he have just been informed to turn up a certain place to be drafted, and then didn't, or would he have signed attestation papers etc and then disappeared. How exactly would the draft have worked in 1915 ?

Offline barryd

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: "Absenting' from military service
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 15 September 13 05:48 BST (UK) »
No Draft in 1915. Compulsory military service came into force on 2 March 1916. England, Scotland and Wales only.

Military Service Act 1916.

Could he have signed up as a Volunteer and then changed his mind?

Offline IMBER

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 15 September 13 08:37 BST (UK) »
Could he have had former military service but still had an obligation as a reservist?

Imber
Skewis (Wales and Scotland), Ayers (Maidenhead, Berkshire), Hildreth (Berkshire)

Offline hasta

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 16 September 13 02:08 BST (UK) »
Thank you for the information barryd and Imber - but I'm very confused now!!!  I had just presumed he had been drafted, but reading the newspaper articles again in a new light it seems that his little drama is also being used to clarify the bigger question on whether the Military Acts apply to Irish men and particularly those working in munition in Britain. It goes as far as seeking and receiving clarification from Cabinet. I was told that it was a huge case at the time with thousands of people outside the court waiting for the verdict, such was the public interest.
There are odd bits such as his employer in Ireland is asked
Were you surprised when he was captured for military service ?
Answer: Yes.
On balance I think he must have signed up in 1915 and had a change of heart. How else would he have come to their attention? but there is no mention to this in the reports. The date 15th August 1915 is referenced several times, as in where he was before and after that date, but I don't know the significance of that. i hope there will be more reports, on microfilm at the Library for newspapers that are not online, so intend to see those next week.