Author Topic: John Ferguson Duncan – b1828, Campbeltown - emigration  (Read 3974 times)

Offline stuart.d

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John Ferguson Duncan – b1828, Campbeltown - emigration
« on: Monday 16 September 13 14:06 BST (UK) »
John was born on 6 July 1828 in Campbeltown, the second child of Dunlop and Jean/ Jenn Duncan.  According to the 1841 census, John, aged 12, resided with his father, step-mother, brother and half-siblings at Back Street, Campbeltown.  Neither John nor his brother, Robert, appear on the 1851 census for the family.
I believe this person may be my gg grandfather. However, there are a lot of discrepancies between the records I have for him in Australia and the Scottish records (ie Hotelier/Painter, birth 1833/1828).  I have been unable to find any immigration information on John, and therefore cannot prove the two are the same person.

I am trying to determine when and if he emigrated to Australia.  Any information would be appreciated?
Stuart
Duncan, Newnham, Glenn, Brown

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: John Ferguson Duncan – b1828, Campbeltown - emigration
« Reply #1 on: Monday 16 September 13 19:04 BST (UK) »
Hi Stuart,

On the 1851 Census - at Greenock Renfrewshire

14 Sugarhouse Lane-
Janet Scott -    age 40  Wife Married    Mate's wife Husband at sea   Born Ayrshire Irvine
James Scott-    age 14  Son                Shop Boy                            Born Renfrewshire Greenock
Robert F Duncan - age 24 Nephew          Painter                              Born Glasgow, Lanarkshire
John F Duncan   -  age 22 Nephew          Tailor                                Born Argyllshire, Campbeltown

Could this be the boys you are researching? I found them on www.freecen.org.uk

Looby :)

Offline stuart.d

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 17 September 13 01:47 BST (UK) »
Hi Lobby
Thank you for the 1851 information on Robert F and John F Duncan, yes these I believe are the two brothers I am after information on.

According to my Australian John F Duncan death certificate he arrived about 1853/4.  His 1/2 brothers James (aged 19/20)  and Lewis Grant (aged 21 ) arrived also in 1854.  Lewis arrived aboard the Constance.  I have information somewhere on what ship James arrived in Australia on, however I have been unable to find emigration/immigration information on John F.  Any where I should search online would be appreciated.

OT - I have been unable to find any death records for John and Robert's mother Jean/Jenn Ferguson, who would have died between 1828 (John's birth) and Dunlop's 2nd marriage to Elizabeth Grant in Dec 1830.

Once again many thanks for finding the 1851 census data on Robert F and John F Duncan

Stuart

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 17 September 13 10:29 BST (UK) »
Hi Stuart,
Which area of Australia do you think the boys sailed to?

Sadly you may not be able to find any record of Jean/Jenn Ferguson's death as none may exist. But I did find this link which may interest you.I think you will find family members recorded here   http://www.ralstongenealogy.com/kilkerranoldgraves.php

If you scroll to the bottom of the page , you will find a contact to email and ask for an image :)

Offline stuart.d

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 18 September 13 04:58 BST (UK) »
Hi Looby
As their half brothers came to Victoria, I would think Robert and John would have also emigrated to Victoria.

Concerning the Kilkerran grave photos, a couple of years ago I requested photo(s) using the link you mentioned, but received no reply etc,  :( but will try again. :-\

Stuart

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 18 September 13 09:12 BST (UK) »
Hi again Stuart,
That's a shame about the photos from Kilkerran  :(. I hope you have better luck this time round.
Good luck with finding the boys arriving in Australia. I had a quick look but had no success, every website led me to The Public Record Office Victoria and I couldn't find them there (you'll no doubt have checked there before!). Just a suggestion, on the 1851 Census John and Robert are living in Greenock , obviously a busy port at that period. Their uncle is a ship's mate at sea at the time of the Census. Maybe they found employment as crew to travel to Australia?

Offline stuart.d

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 18 September 13 09:25 BST (UK) »
Lobby

Photos of headstones have arrived, very quick.

Concerning Uncle's occupation, I had the same thoughts concerning boys sailing as crew and not immigrants.  I will chase up at Victorian Public Records Office.

Many thanks for your help.
regards

Stuart

Offline JuneNZ

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 23 June 19 07:52 BST (UK) »
Hello Stuart and Looby. I have been researching the Duncan family in New Zealand for my cousin.

Charles Duncan born c1835 has on his death notification that he was a native of Campbelltown Scotland. His death certificate details his father as John Duncan, Master Mariner. Charles himself had the occupation of Seaman when he married Margaret Snoddan in Dunedin NZ in 1858.

I don’t suppose that the Uncle referred to in your earlier post had the Christian name of John?

Regards, June

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 23 June 19 07:57 BST (UK) »
stuart, try a posting on this website which covers Campbeltown.

www.kintyreforum.com/

Skoosh.