Author Topic: Ballinasloe Lunatic Asylum  (Read 19365 times)

Offline John_K

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Ballinasloe Lunatic Asylum
« on: Wednesday 18 September 13 13:59 BST (UK) »
Hi,

What would the likelihood be that a child was committed to the Ballinasloe Lunatic Asylum?

I've recently come across a Petty Sessions Court record which appears to be my great-grandfather having my great-grandmother committed on the grounds that she was a dangerous lunatic.

What's confusing me is that the court case is from 1913, and in the 1911 census my great-grandfather lists himself as a widower?

His wife's name was Catherine, but he also had a daughter Catherine who would have been about 9 years of age in 1913.

I'd be interested in your thoughts.

John
Antrim: McKay
Dublin: Bennett, Byrne, Keogh, Lynch, Montgomery
Kildare: Mullally, Nugent
Galway: Kilcar, Power

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Ballinasloe Lunatic Asylum
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 18 September 13 15:00 BST (UK) »
Have you searched for the wife in the 1911 census? People in institutions should be listed by initials (for example, Mary Ryan listed as M. R.) so you might find her in the asylum at that time (might also explain why husband said he was a widower).

Not sure I understand this bit "What would the likelihood be that a child was committed to the Ballinasloe Lunatic Asylum?" Do you mean that you think a child of the couple was in the Asylum?

People were institutionalised for all sorts of conditions that were misunderstood or untreatable. Epilespy, autism, deafness, blindess, etc. are all possibilities.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline John_K

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 18 September 13 15:06 BST (UK) »
Have you searched for the wife in the 1911 census? People in institutions should be listed by initials (for example, Mary Ryan listed as M. R.) so you might find her in the asylum at that time (might also explain why husband said he was a widower).

Not sure I understand this bit "What would the likelihood be that a child was committed to the Ballinasloe Lunatic Asylum?" Do you mean that you think a child of the couple was in the Asylum?

People were institutionalised for all sorts of conditions that were misunderstood or untreatable. Epilespy, autism, deafness, blindess, etc. are all possibilities.

I'm looking at the moment, and a few C.K. entries are showing up in Galway in 1911.  One possibility is the poorhouse?  Some of the other court sessions I've discovered show Catherine having assaulted her in-laws who she lived with, so maybe they had removed her from the family home previously.

My reason for asking about the child was my assumption that Catherine the mother had died prior to 1911.  So I didn't want to go off in a wild goose chase if there was a possibility that the child was the one that was committed.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 18 September 13 15:17 BST (UK) »
Taking a quick look at 1911 census- 4 females C.K. who are married (aged 40-66) but only 1 gives number of years married and how many children.

Offline John_K

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 18 September 13 15:23 BST (UK) »
Taking a quick look at 1911 census- 4 females C.K. who are married (aged 40-66) but only 1 gives number of years married and how many children.

Portumna Workhouse?

I believe I'm looking at the same record, and am quite convinced that I have found her.  The number of years married matches, the number of children match, the age is approximately right, and the village Duniry is close to the townland on Newtownbracklagh.  So much so that we always said we were going to Duniry when visiting my grandparents.

So strange that my great-grandfather listed himself as a widower...

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 18 September 13 15:29 BST (UK) »
Thought that might be her  ;)

Take a look again at the husband's census page- did he sign and fill it out himself or was he illiterate and someone else did it for him (see bottom of page for signature, etc.). If someone asked him the questions and filled it out imagine the conversation. Name, age, etc. then "Wife?" answer "No" (meaning she's not here), "were you married?" answer "yes" so widower was put down.

Offline John_K

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 18 September 13 15:35 BST (UK) »
Thought that might be her  ;)

Take a look again at the husband's census page- did he sign and fill it out himself or was he illiterate and someone else did it for him (see bottom of page for signature, etc.). If someone asked him the questions and filled it out imagine the conversation. Name, age, etc. then "Wife?" answer "No" (meaning she's not here), "were you married?" answer "yes" so widower was put down.

Looking at the census return for the first time in a while, I'm confused again? Patrick completed the return himself as he could read and write, however all 7 children are listed  ???

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 18 September 13 15:38 BST (UK) »
If you post the link for him I'll have a look.

Offline John_K

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 18 September 13 15:41 BST (UK) »