Author Topic: Rev. Robert Monteath  (Read 6892 times)

Offline lmfamilyresearch

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Rev. Robert Monteath
« on: Wednesday 18 September 13 19:03 BST (UK) »
I was hoping someone would know something about a Rev. Robert Monteath.  I know nothing about him except his name and that he visited Vaughan, Ontario Canada as I have photo albums from my ancestors that contain a couple of pictures of him.  The only thing I can think of is that he may be some sort of relation to Agnes Elizabeth Monteath (married to Rev. Peter Macnaughton).

Thanks,
Bennett, Bowling, Braedine/Brodie, Bulmer, Burns, Cochrane, Devlin, Ellis, Garth, Henderson, Holm/Holmes, Kershaw, Masson, McClernon/McLaren/MacLaren, McComb, McKee, Pitt, Rawood, Riddel, Robinson, Whitaker, Wood

Offline buckhyne

• RootsChat Veteran
  • James Lawrie & Mary Ann Watson (1878)
    • View Profile
Re: Rev. Robert Monteath
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 18 September 13 23:43 BST (UK) »
There’s a wee bio in the Fastii vol 3 page 417. Synod of Glasgow and Ayr.
Robert Knox Monteath: Born 1827, second son of James Monteath, Writer, Glasgow.
He became the first minister of the parish of Hutchesontown in 1871.
He was Secretary to the Foreign Mission Committee and died unmarried 23rd November, 1910.
Lawrie name in Fife (and elsewhere) with all its various spellings.

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 19 September 13 12:45 BST (UK) »
The Monteath's were prominent Glasgow manufacturers & merchants. A James Monteath, son of Walter Monteath of Kepp & Jean Douglas daughter of James Douglas of Mains & Rebecca Wallace, was a partner in the firm of Hamilton, Monteath & Co, wine merchants & stamp distributers. He inherited the fortune of his elder brother Major Archibald Monteath who, rumour had it, had looted a treasure elephant in India. He also succeeded to the estate of Rosehall and took the name Douglas.
Henry Monteath of Carstairs, son of James Monteath, was a manufacturer & exporter of bandanas, he was twice Lord Provost of Glasgow & MP for Linlithgow, married twice, to Christina Cameron & Sarah Fullerton.
The family were also members of a Glasgow club named "The Board of the Green Cloth", but whether these are your Monteath the writer (lawyer) is something for you to find out.

Bests,

Skoosh.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 19 September 13 13:56 BST (UK) »
Hi All  :)

Is there a reason you posted on the Perthshire board? Do you think he came from Perthshire originally. Likely there will be a number of Rev Robert Monteaths around...There is this other one for example here http://ryeland.com/getperson.php?personID=I8044&tree=Ryeland

What dates are you working around?

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline lmfamilyresearch

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 19 September 13 13:59 BST (UK) »
Hi Monica,

I placed this on the Perthshire board because 1) my ancestors came from Perthshire and I thought he might be related as they share a last name, and 2) because I didn't know where else to put this post.

Neither Mr. Ryeland (with whom I'm in frequent contact with) can verify if this Rev. Monteath is the same one he has on his site.  We are curious simply because both of us have pictures of a Rev. Monteath in our ancestors photo albums.  As for dates, we don't even know that.

Thanks,

Liisa
Bennett, Bowling, Braedine/Brodie, Bulmer, Burns, Cochrane, Devlin, Ellis, Garth, Henderson, Holm/Holmes, Kershaw, Masson, McClernon/McLaren/MacLaren, McComb, McKee, Pitt, Rawood, Riddel, Robinson, Whitaker, Wood

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 19 September 13 14:01 BST (UK) »
Good place to start then, Lisa.

What sort of dates do you think he was in Vaughan, Ontario?

Do you know who your ancestors Agnes Elizabeth's parents were back in Perthshire? When was she born?

Monica

Offline lmfamilyresearch

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 19 September 13 14:06 BST (UK) »
Hi Monica,

A.E. Monteath was born in 1808 and died in 1889.  We suspect the photos were taken in the 1860s-1880s.  Her parents were John Monteath and Mary McLaurin.  I do know that it seems like there were a couple of Monteath families (whether they were siblings we don't know) living on Harperstone Farm together.  This is why we are wondering if Rev. Monteath is related to A.E. Monteath.

It is certainly a puzzle.

Liisa

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 19 September 13 14:07 BST (UK) »
You might want to post a couple of photos of him on the Photo Restoration and Dating board here on RC www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?board=298.0 - people are very clever at figuring out clues from photos  ;)

Monica

Offline lmfamilyresearch

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 19 September 13 14:09 BST (UK) »
Thanks Monica.  I didn't even know about that board.  I will do that.

Liisa