Author Topic: BBC WDYTYA Series 10 Episode #9: Marrianne Faithful  (Read 14765 times)

Offline WelwynGC1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
BBC WDYTYA Series 10 Episode #9: Marrianne Faithful
« on: Thursday 19 September 13 06:38 BST (UK) »
Waited for ten minutes or so for this to start whilst they gave us a history of MF in the sixties etc., but thought it was really interesting once it got going.

Although only focusing on her Mother and grandparents, l did not nod off as l have done with one or two this series, the style has definitely changed as many have written before but l am hoping they have saved the best until last.

Hope next week is on next week as l recall that last series they held over the last episode to a future date.
Hayton 1800-Present Day

Maynard, Jones-Hertford

Chance- Jarrow/Hebburn/South Shields 1800-Present Day

HONOUR THE BRAVE BOMBER BOYS-NEVER FORGET

Offline stonechat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: BBC WDYTYA Series 10 Episode #9 Marrianne Faithful
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 19 September 13 07:13 BST (UK) »
YEs there was only about a minute of genealogy in it, the the now customary unfurling of a written pedibree and discussion of her ancestor's ennoblement.
Douglas, Varnden, Joy(i)ce Surrey, Clarke Northants/Hunts, Pullen Worcs/Herefords, Holmes Birmingham/USA/Canada/Australia, Jackson Cheshire/Yorkshire, Lomas Cheshire, Lee Yorkshire, Cocks Lancashire, Leah Cheshire, Cook Yorkshire, Catlow Lancashire
See my website http://www.cotswan.com

Offline toffeebear

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 19 September 13 07:15 BST (UK) »
I haven't seen last night's episode yet - but next week episode 10 IS in the "telly pages" so should be on!
JENNINGS (-TEMPLE) - Kent/Msex/Berks; BENNETT - Dorset/Msex; ROSE - Notts/Lincs; MURRAY - Essex; METHLEY - Yorks; BIRCH - Kent; BRYDEN - Lancs/Stirl; MCGREGOR - Stirl/Perth; BROADLEY- Lancs; HUDSON - Mon/Durh; ROWLEY - Denb/Durh; PRICE - Mon; BERRY - Mon/Devon

Offline weste

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 19 September 13 07:36 BST (UK) »
Yes there was n't much genealogy in it was there, like already said the customary unrolling of the chart. There were a few things I had n't heard before in jewish ancestry. About males having the name Israel added and women having sarah/h added (can't remember whether it had an h or not) when the germans decided they were cracking down on jews. The system starting to systematically exclusing them from professions and the letters exchanged.

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 19 September 13 08:34 BST (UK) »
I only watched the first half, about her mother. So no genealogy at all! Mildly interesting, but if I hadnt been doing the ironing I reckon I would have dropped off.
Was hoping for something better in the second half, but husband arrived home, so I turned it off and chatted to him instead (ahhhhh). Was planning to watch second half some other time, but if it was 'more of the same' I wont bother.
Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline suey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • The light is on but there's no-one at home!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 19 September 13 08:39 BST (UK) »
An amazing story!   

The potted history of MF's early life must have been useful for those watching who were young enough not to know who she was or just how famous she had been  :D

I think what this series has shown is that you may think you know very little about your parents or grandparents but there is in fact a wealth of information out there, if you have the time and the resources to look for it. 

Parents and grandparents are generally the people we have known and loved but often know very little about. 

As Marianne said at the end of the programme "Your family is the ground you stand on" and she felt that for her the ground had been put back. 

To my mind what is the point of chasing backwards umpteen generations if you know nothing of where you began....it just becomes names on paper.
All census lookups are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Sussex - Knapp. Nailard. Potten. Coleman. Pomfrey. Carter. Picknell
Greenwich/Woolwich. - Clowting. Davis. Kitts. Ferguson. Lowther. Carvalho. Pressman. Redknap. Argent.
Hertfordshire - Sturgeon. Bird. Rule. Claxton. Taylor. Braggins

Offline MargP

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Three generations
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 19 September 13 09:29 BST (UK) »
Basically it was a documentary about Marrianne Faithfull and her Mother, although very interesting, this is not genealogy.

Margp
Family History is a Pandora's box if you don't like what you see find a new hobby,only concentrate on the proven facts and not the facts you think you know.
Jenkins, Radnorshire. Herefordshire, Canada
Coley Dudley.
Baston, Cleobury Mortimer.Wolverhampton
Parker Stafford.
Hammond/s Wolverhampton.Shropshire
Duckworth Cheshire.
Proud Walsall.Proud Cape South Africa
Horton Darlaston.
Stanton Walsall.
Tudor. Radnorshire
Pittaway. Droitwich

Offline jan57

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 19 September 13 09:55 BST (UK) »
 For  me this episode was a real   history  lesson ,! What EVIL &^%$$ that man  and his cronies were !

Offline Maggie.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I haven't a clue about my Roots
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 19 September 13 10:06 BST (UK) »
Not strictly genealogy but an excellent history lesson that I found it both fascinating and harrowing.  What that family had to endure is unimaginable and it's easy to understand how those terrible experiences were passed down the generations.

I recently read a book of Ken Follett's - Winter of the World.  I can almost believe he got part of his plot from MF's family's experiences.

Maggie
Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk